PDA

View Full Version : Low light Planted Discus tank

Nismo
01-03-2010, 11:13 AM
This is my first try at a planted tank. I've had my plants in there for 7 days now. I have a few questions if anyone could help me out. I'm using sand for the bottom of the tank.

1. My discus are about 18 months old and are about 4" plus in size. How often do I still need to do water changes for them since they are in a planted tank. Don't plants thrive on fish waste?

2. How long does it take for plants to usually die in a bad tank. I tried some of them seed bulbs and 1 is sprouting pretty fast. I also have 2 anubias plants that seem to have slightly wrinkly leaves. Is this a sign that the plant is dieing?

3. I have a hydro sponge and a 405 fluvo canister going with very low current flow. When would be best to take out the hydro sponge so that the plants would get more waste from the fish?

4. What web sights are good to order plants from.

Thanks for the help.

ChloroPhil
01-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Nismo,

Your plants should be fine under low light in the tank you've got. I'd recommend getting a few more of those bulbs, they're Aponogeton species and will thrive in a low light tank with a rich substrate.

What's your water like? Is it hard, soft, high pH, low pH, etc.

Cheers,
Phil

Nismo
01-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Nismo,

Your plants should be fine under low light in the tank you've got. I'd recommend getting a few more of those bulbs, they're Aponogeton species and will thrive in a low light tank with a rich substrate.

What's your water like? Is it hard, soft, high pH, low pH, etc.

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for the reply.

I have soft water. ph = 6.5-7 my water is always 50/50 RO & Tap.

Fund out my anubias are find I just have the nana kind instead of silk anubias

Looks like I'm just stuck on buying live plants from the local pet stores because the prices on some of the web sights I visited were the same prices as the local stores. There are some better live plants stores that are 40 minutes away though.

poconoboss
01-03-2010, 04:09 PM
This is my first try at a planted tank. I've had my plants in there for 7 days now. I have a few questions if anyone could help me out. I'm using sand for the bottom of the tank.

1. My discus are about 18 months old and are about 4" plus in size. How often do I still need to do water changes for them since they are in a planted tank. Don't plants thrive on fish waste?

4. What web sights are good to order plants from.

Thanks for the help.

1. Water changes need to be done just as any other tank. Yes plants help by absorbing some waste but not to the extent where you can slack on tank maint.

4. http://www.aquariumplants.com/?Click=2&gclid=CNK7j9yCiZ8CFVw55QodM1gmSw

I've ordered from them..Excellent specimens and variety. I've had bulbs from them sprout within days and grow big within 2 weeks.

Nismo
01-03-2010, 08:28 PM
1. Water changes need to be done just as any other tank. Yes plants help by absorbing some waste but not to the extent where you can slack on tank maint.

I've ordered from them..Excellent specimens and variety. I've had bulbs from them sprout within days and grow big within 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info. That websight is pretty great. Lots of products and
a very easy layout to navigate. I'll be sure to give them a try.

johnm
01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Might also try aquabid for plants

Nismo
01-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info. Thats a great web sight you linked. Lots of different plants I was looking for and a very easy layout to navigate. I'll be trying them out for sure. Having them do a blueprint of the tank aquascaping is a great idea. I'm tempted to give it a try.

I'll check out aquabid also. See what there're about.

stephcps
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
You can also buy awesome plants from other hobbyists on sites like aquariacentral.com

They generally have great prices, offer more than one plant and are very knowledgeable. I have rec'd some really great plants from some of the members on that forum.

Steph