PDA

View Full Version : Strain ID

Bluetooth
01-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi guys.

Made my final addition to my tank and purchased this guy at a bargain price, however i have no clue what strain he is. Can you guys give me any ideas?

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/Bluet00/Discus/LGIM0287.jpg
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/Bluet00/Discus/LGIM0286.jpg
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/Bluet00/Discus/LGIM0285.jpg

Thanks in advance

vss
01-03-2010, 02:57 PM
To me it looks like a blue turq :)

-Xiaofei

rickztahone
01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
To me it looks like a blue turq :)

-Xiaofei

that would have been my guess as well, although this one does seem like it needs some R&R

Bluetooth
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Yea it hasnt been that well looked after unfortunately, however it has already improved after being in my tank less than a day =-)

Thanks for the help guys

zamboniMan
01-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Just remember it's usually helpfull to quarentine new fish before introducing them to your tank.

Heres a good reference:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72073&highlight=quarentine

If you type quarantine into the search feature you'll get a bunch of results.

Eddie
01-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Very old blue turq, almost looks like a Jack Dempsey! :D

Bluetooth
01-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Yea i thought he might be an old feller, lovely fish though.

I know about QT and stuff, i suppose you could say im a bit ignorant really but i know the owners intimately and trust what they say regarding their fish (3 year winners of UK fish of fishes and several hundred firsts in a multitude of classes etc) but hey, ignorance is bliss... sometimes.

Either way hes a lovely fish, im assuming HE because of the nuchal (sp?) bump. Keeps chasing the 2 smaller discus who i think are female lol.

zamboniMan
01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Yea i thought he might be an old feller, lovely fish though.

I know about QT and stuff, i suppose you could say im a bit ignorant really but i know the owners intimately and trust what they say regarding their fish (3 year winners of UK fish of fishes and several hundred firsts in a multitude of classes etc) but hey, ignorance is bliss... sometimes.

Either way hes a lovely fish, im assuming HE because of the nuchal (sp?) bump. Keeps chasing the 2 smaller discus who i think are female lol.

While I do disagree with you not following QT procedures I'm not saying your ignorant. You posted in the beginner section hence the link. I always QT even if I get fish from someone who I know keeps up with their tanks. In my expirence better safe than sorry.

Good Luck,
Josh

Bluetooth
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi

Yea thanks josh thats very kind of you.

I know i should have QT'd him but i like i said my knowledge and friendship with the guy makes me kinda ignorant, i know you werent saying i was but im openly admitting i am =-)

The fish is really coming on now, his fins were quite buggered but hes coming on a treat, one thing id like to know about, his ventral fins, they are REALLY long, well one is, the other seems to have been bitten. Will the other grown back to match the length of the other and how come they are like that? i didnt think discus got really long trailing fins like other fish?

daboo
01-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes they can get that long. It should grow back with time (couple of months) if he is in good health and well fed as I'm sure you are doing. :)

Eddie
01-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi

Yea thanks josh thats very kind of you.

I know i should have QT'd him but i like i said my knowledge and friendship with the guy makes me kinda ignorant, i know you werent saying i was but im openly admitting i am =-)

The fish is really coming on now, his fins were quite buggered but hes coming on a treat, one thing id like to know about, his ventral fins, they are REALLY long, well one is, the other seems to have been bitten. Will the other grown back to match the length of the other and how come they are like that? i didnt think discus got really long trailing fins like other fish?

This depends, some fish can have one short ventral fin and one long. If it doesn't ever grow back, well then there you go, its genetic.

Eddie

Fishy knickers
01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Hey Bluetooth...are you from Yorkshire by any chance?

Bluetooth
01-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Indeed i am mate, cleckheaton, about 5 mins from bradford.

Thanks for the comments guys, hes eating well, begging just like the others whenever i walk past the tank now =-)