PDA

View Full Version : how do you tell for sure you have a breeding pair?

derpers1
01-04-2010, 06:13 PM
I put two discus into a small 29 gallon tank, and they were staying close together, and when I added a third discus..they began to attack the odd one. please help

kodiak
01-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Defending a territory together is a good sign as is bowing to each other, pecking at a possible spawning site and shaking their bodies when near each other. You can only really be sure you have a pair when they actual spawn and you see that one is male and one is female (sometimes 2 females lay eggs together).

Eddie
01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
I put two discus into a small 29 gallon tank, and they were staying close together, and when I added a third discus..they began to attack the odd one. please help

If the 2 fish you put in the 29 have not had spawned before, you have a better chance of winning the lottery. :o

Eddie

Tito
01-04-2010, 07:34 PM
If the 2 fish you put in the 29 have not had spawned before, you have a better chance of winning the lottery. :o

Eddie

LOL You're so mean!

Ed13
01-04-2010, 07:43 PM
how do you tell for sure you have a breeding pair?

When one lays eggs and the other fertilizes them;);)

BTW, it's not sarcasm.

Eddie
01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
LOL You're so mean!

No, I'm being serious. It wasn't a mean comment at all. You can't put 2 random fish into a breeding set-up and expect them to spawn, its a fact. :o

Eddie

mmorris
01-05-2010, 12:14 AM
No, I'm being serious. It wasn't a mean comment at all. You can't put 2 random fish into a breeding set-up and expect them to spawn, its a fact. :o

Eddie

I disagree Eddie. It's common to force-pair by putting two unpaired discus together. I just did it, and the female laid eggs within two days. She ate them, of course...

Eddie
01-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I disagree Eddie. It's common to force-pair by putting two unpaired discus together. I just did it, and the female laid eggs within two days. She ate them, of course...

I know forced pairing works, but only when you have 2 different sexes in the tank, confirmed male/confirmed female, not just 2 fish.

Eddie

mmorris
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
I assume that is what he is trying to do, since he posted in the breeding section. :)

derpers1
01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
well how do you determine the sexes?