PDA

View Full Version : Odd and stupid question

Arjunpun
01-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I have few questions in my mind.
1)Does discus sleep?
2)can u feed discus randomly or it has to be same time everyday?
3)how long sud the light be turn on for planted discus tank?
4)do discus have memory and do they know their owner or feeder?
5)will loud music in my room effects the discus in anyway.
6)do they like stable water or Little water movment from oxygen bubble.
I know some of my questions are stupid but I was just curious.

zamboniMan
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I have few questions in my mind.
1)Does discus sleep?
2)can u feed discus randomly or it has to be same time everyday?
3)how long sud the light be turn on for planted discus tank?
4)do discus have memory and do they know their owner or feeder?
5)will loud music in my room effects the discus in anyway.
6)do they like stable water or Little water movment from oxygen bubble.
I know some of my questions are stupid but I was just curious.

1. Of course sometimes they'll give you a heart attack because they'll look dead lying on their sides on the tank bottom.
2. I don't know about everyone else but I don't feed on any given schedule. Alot of people use automatic feeders so they don't have to worry about feeding more than once or twice a day.
3. I recomend rotating the lights so they're on for an hour, off for half an our, for around 10 hours on my low tech tanks.
4. In my expirence they seem to. They always come up to the front of the tank when I walk up but not when anyone else does.
5. I don't keep mine where noise is an issue but i'm thinking the vibrations might.
6. You need water movement. As long as the discus aren't fighting the current you should be okay.

Eddie
01-04-2010, 08:39 PM
1)Does discus sleep? More or less, they rest.
2)can u feed discus randomly or it has to be same time everyday? You dont have to feed them on a set schedule, fed them how you want.
3)how long sud the light be turn on for planted discus tank? Cant help you, dont have plants.
4)do discus have memory and do they know their owner or feeder? They may relate a person coming close to the tank as feeding time, but dont think they have much of a memory. More of a habit or routine.
5)will loud music in my room effects the discus in anyway. If it vibrates the tank.
6)do they like stable water or Little water movment from oxygen bubble. They dont need any current, they can do fine in any number of set-ups. They will stress more from a current that is too strong and pushing them around.

Eddie

Arjunpun
01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the answer.

Arjunpun
01-19-2010, 04:25 AM
ok

DonMD
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Arjunpun,

There ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS on this site. All questions are good if they are about how to keep discus. I think your questions are good, and I think the answers you got are good, too.:)

Don't be afraid to ask more questions. All of us learn from the questions that other people ask:confused::confused::):)

jerzguy
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Arjunpun,

There ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS on this site. All questions are good if they are about how to keep discus. I think your questions are good, and I think the answers you got are good, too.:)

Don't be afraid to ask more questions. All of us learn from the questions that other people ask:confused::confused::):)

I agree. These are pretty interesting questions. I never thought about keeping the lights on and off in cycles. May be I will try. When I go near the tank everyone will be following me to the other corner but whem someone else I dont think they do that.

Harriett
01-27-2010, 03:57 PM
As far as length of lighting for a planted tank, it depends on what type of plants and what kind of lights to some extent. You sound new at all this, from your questions, so be advised you need to read up on balancing nutrients, light strength, CO2 needs, etc etc in your planted tank. A real planted tank means not a couple plants here and there in an otherwise bare substrated aquarium, but many plants creating a biologic environment in the tank that is quite different from a BB tank. What I always do is start out with 7-8 hours on a newly planted tank project and over a period of many weeks work up to a photo period of about 10 hours/day.
Starting out slowly will help avoid an algae outbreak in the tank. A new tank shouldn't get fertilized in the first 6-7 weeks either, in my experience. It would be good if you read up on planted tanks before you get going, ok? MANY online resources are available on line, including on SD.
Best regards,
Harriett

kaceyo
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Bare in mind that while you can feed them at any times that fit your needs, feeding them on a schedule reduces stress on the fish. Keeping stress to a minimum keeps our fish healthy.

Kacey

lpiasente
01-28-2010, 06:30 AM
I have my stereo right next to the tank. Although it is no disco set up I do have it quite loud and my discus aren't bothered by it one little bit. (or my dancing)

kaceyo
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Alright!!! It's a Discus Disco!!!!!:D

DiscusFreakaZoid
01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
I have my stereo right next to the tank. Although it is no disco set up I do have it quite loud and my discus aren't bothered by it one little bit. (or my dancing)
sometimes i have crazy nutzoid moments and dance in front of my discus. Doesnt bother them either and they think its feeding time. One time i almost kicked my tank by accident doing one of my breakdance moves

lpiasente
01-29-2010, 04:28 AM
breakdance hahahah can you put up a video of that I'd love to see it

kaceyo
01-29-2010, 05:17 PM
I've seen my discus breakdance once or twice. trouble is, they usually die shortly afterwards:mad:

Kacey

Arjunpun
04-04-2010, 02:19 AM
I've seen my discus breakdance once or twice. trouble is, they usually die shortly afterwards:mad:

Kacey

lol good one:D

kitykatfunkiehat
04-07-2010, 01:01 PM
This is too funny, because our sound system is in the living room with my discus and I always play music when I do water changes. And that sometimes leads to me dancing...and they tend to join the fun on occasion.

waters10
04-07-2010, 02:32 PM
sometimes i have crazy nutzoid moments and dance in front of my discus. Doesnt bother them either and they think its feeding time. One time i almost kicked my tank by accident doing one of my breakdance moves
lol. A picture with a "***" over the discus' head would be priceless! :D