PDA

View Full Version : never seen this before

springer
01-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Advise please. This happened about 5 weeks ago. I had a mated pair of discus with fry about 8 days free swimming. I fed them brime shrimp and used a liquid fry food for the first time. Came back 20 min. later and all the fry where ate. Had to do something in another room and when I came back the male was laying flat on the bottem hardly breathing and the female not as bad as the male but also in rough shape. I did a quick water change and within 30 min. the female was ok as like nothing happened but the male even to this day is still laying on the bottem of the tank. Tried all med I know of for worms, gill flukes, parasites but nothing seems to work. I thought by now he may have expired but no he actully looks perfect good color not skinny, as I hand feed him, no clamped fins. He seems very strong but just lays on his side and this is his 6th week now. The female is in a different tank and has been fine. Does anyone have any idea, really don't want to lose him. Thank you.

Eddie
01-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Sounds to me that the fry food may have been spoiled or poisoned, the fry ate it, all died and then the male ate the dead fry. This in turn poisoned him but this isn't Simply Discus CSI, its just a guess. :o

Eddie

springer
01-05-2010, 01:05 AM
That sounds quite possible, the thing that I don't understand is the female was fine after the water change and the male is still laying flat on the bottem of the tank. The tank is a b.b with 2 sections the male in one and on the other side is about 40 5 week old fry which are doing excellent.

rickztahone
01-05-2010, 02:01 AM
That sounds quite possible, the thing that I don't understand is the female was fine after the water change and the male is still laying flat on the bottem of the tank. The tank is a b.b with 2 sections the male in one and on the other side is about 40 5 week old fry which are doing excellent.

maybe she wasn't the one that ate all the fry? :confused: