PDA

View Full Version : Reds in a Planted Tank

Yassmeena
01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey all,

So after my catastrophe I am mentally designing a new tank already (thanks for all your support before :))!

I was wondering what kinds of reds look best in a planted tank with a light background (non albino)? I don't like darkening of the face and body.

I have heard of:

- 3R2
- red melon
- marlboro red
- valentines
- flamingos
- fuji reds
- velvet rouge

but haven't seen them in a planted tank.

Could you share your experience with any of these strains or others I did not mention?

Thanks so much!

PS - I added some pictures of reds that look good to me (from sunrise tropicals website). But I can't figure out the strains for the life of me! Note the last red is called a "virgin red" from ST discus.

Yasmin

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/yasminnagm/justins.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/yasminnagm/3.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/yasminnagm/2.jpg

seanyuki
01-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Yas.....Red discus are nice in a planted tank just avoid those red discus with pigeon genes......just my 2 cents.
Glad that you are back into business.

Yassmeena
01-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Yas.....Red discus are nice in a planted tank just avoid those red discus with pigeon genes......just my 2 cents.
Glad that you are back into business.

Hi Francis. Thanks - I am planning on avoiding pigeons.

Also my experience with RGDs is that any non-red area on the body and face darkens in a planted tank, so I am avoiding those too. :o

Best,
Yasmin

phat nguyen
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Hello Yasmin,
So sorry to hear about your mishaps. I am also very fond of Red color discus.
I am currently have about 55 Discus from Kenny .... they are Rose red, Checkerboard, Altum flora x Forrest Red snake and Red/white. These are my Red discus.However, the red/white would be my favorite of all the above strains.They are very clean, no pepper and have very nice shape/form. The most important thing that i found out is that they do stay true to their pattern. I have 9 Rose reds and they developed into many different shape/pattern/colors.
Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your new tanks.

Perry Nguyen.

Yassmeena
01-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Here's a video I found - the discus are called Solid Red Fire. They look pretty darn good considering they are carrying fry AND in a planted tank!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHzwImg29c

Can anyone identify this strain by a more familiar name?

Thanks!

Yasmin

pcsb23
01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Yas,

Red eh? could be interesting! I have Valentines and they are a nice fish, they are in BB tanks though as I currently don't have a planted tank :(

Another really nice fish is the super San Merah ...

I take it you are after mainly solid colours? Otherwise a classic would be Red Leopards ...

Good luck with the project :)

Sharkbait
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Which red are NOT pigeon based? I'd love to have reds in my planted but agree with Yas, no peppering please :)

I love Marlboro Reds...the straitions are really cool...but they're pigeon :(

Yassmeena
01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi Yas, Red eh? could be interesting! I have Valentines and they are a nice fish, they are in BB tanks though as I currently don't have a planted tank :( Another really nice fish is the super San Merah ... I take it you are after mainly solid colours? Otherwise a classic would be Red Leopards ... Good luck with the project :) Hey Paul super san merah sounds interesting. Do you know that strain to be good in a planted tank?

vss
01-05-2010, 04:08 PM
I guess every discus has the tendency to turn dark in planted tank. Pigeon-based guys will show peppers, and golden-based will show dusting or turn dark on the face and body. So I think brown-based red fish like red alenquers or rose red or san merah or red cover will be better for a planted tank as their base color is dark. Also I heard some improved snow-white based red fish do not turn dark or show grey fin edges, which can be also a good candidate.

Even I said as above, actually I've seen many counterexamples that pigeon-based fish do not show heavy peppers, and golden-based show bright red color in planted tank. Just don't know what the key is.:confused:

-Xiaofei:)

vss
01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Here's a video I found - the discus are called Solid Red Fire. They look pretty darn good considering they are carrying fry AND in a planted tank!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHzwImg29c

Can anyone identify this strain by a more familiar name?

Thanks!

Yasmin

I guess they are pigeon-based red fish. Maybe a german line judging from the slight striation on the fin edges. :)

-Xiaofei

Yassmeena
01-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I guess every discus has the tendency to turn dark in planted tank. Pigeon-based guys will show peppers, and golden-based will show dusting or turn dark on the face and body. So I think brown-based red fish like red alenquers or rose red or san merah or red cover will be better for a planted tank as their base color is dark. Also I heard some improved snow-white based red fish I agree what do you make of that strain with the bars in my op? It doesn't seem to be pigeon or golden?

jerzguy
01-05-2010, 04:48 PM
You may want to check this one.

http://www.vladiscus.com/specials.htm

vss
01-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I agree what do you make of that strain with the bars in my op? It doesn't seem to be pigeon or golden?

IMO it's a female rose red. It's brown-based, not pigeon or golden. :)

-Xiaofei

Yassmeena
01-06-2010, 12:07 AM
You may want to check this one.

http://www.vladiscus.com/specials.htm

Holy moly - those are some amazing red discus! What do you think those are? The only thing that darkened was the tail - face is white, body and fins are red - amazing!

Thanks for sharing!

IMO it's a female rose red. It's brown-based, not pigeon or golden. :)

-Xiaofei

I think you're right. I googled rose reds, and it looks like the same fish.

The quest continues... what is the one best red strain for planteds? :confused::p

joanr
01-06-2010, 12:37 AM
The fish in the Vladiscus.com pics are the White Face Super Red Melons I believe. Look at their catalog #2 there is a better pic of them there. Just really nice reds. Probably the best fish they have in their catalog lists.

Sharkbait
01-06-2010, 02:15 AM
I think you're right. I googled rose reds, and it looks like the same fish.

The quest continues... what is the one best red strain for planteds? :confused::p

What's wrong with Rose Reds in a planted tank? They look really nice! And closely related to a brown discus - a strain more suited for a biotope/planted tank

seanyuki
01-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Rose Reds are also very nice in a planted .......female tends to have more red in the body than male ....just my 2 cents.

What's wrong with Rose Reds in a planted tank? They look really nice! And closely related to a brown discus - a strain more suited for a biotope/planted tank

seanyuki
01-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Agreed with Paul(pcsb23)...San Merah is also very nice.....Jeffrey Yang has some show quality San Merah in the SD photo gallery....worth getting some.....I think Red melon is pigeon base and will have peppering & perhaps Super Red Melon is sooo clean and may not pepper and should ask the seller if it suitable in a planted tank.

Yassmeena
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I agree female rose reds or super san merah are probably the two best choices for a planted tank. Those female rose reds are just so beautiful! After albinos however, I hard time going with non-albinos. :D

Thanks for all of your input. I'll keep you posted on my new tank as it comes together. You guys are great!

Best,

Yasmin

Ed13
01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
I have heard of:

- 3R2
- red melon
- marlboro red
- valentines
- flamingos
- fuji reds
- velvet rouge

I'm pretty positive all those have pigeon genes in their genotype. Except the 3r2 which are golden based and the valentines which are white based. Even so they might still have PB genes in their backgroud. The malboros are the only ones supposed to have PB in their their phenotype, meaning out of all of those they are the only ones meant to show pepper. The others will respond differently like your RGD example.

In my opinion, since golden based might get the "dust" like color and PB based may get "dirty" then brown based reds like San Merah or white based like Valentines will be your best bet.

This is only my interpretation, of course, now that many breeders and more experienced hobbyists participate in the forum they'll prob give you the best answer.

HTH

Yassmeena
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty positive all those have pigeon genes in their genotype. Except the 3r2 which are golden based and the valentines which are white based. Even so they might still have PB genes in their backgroud. The malboros are the only ones supposed to have PB in their their phenotype, meaning out of all of those they are the only ones meant to show pepper. The others will respond differently like your RGD example.

In my opinion, since golden based might get the "dust" like color and PB based may get "dirty" then brown based reds like San Merah or white based like Valentines will be your best bet.

This is only my interpretation, of course, now that many breeders and more experienced hobbyists participate in the forum they'll prob give you the best answer.

HTH

I think you made a nice and concise assessment! Thanks!

Yasmin