PDA

View Full Version : albinos?

vss
01-05-2010, 06:21 PM
just had a discussion on another forum about some fish. They look to me pretty close to non-albino white butterfly/scorpion or carnation pigeon/snake. But several experienced hobbyists and breeders who I respect insisted they are just maroon-pupil pigeon-based albinos, which made me really confused. :confused: So what's the opinion of yours? albino or non-albino? Thanks!

-Xiaofei:)

*Pictures courtsy of HCDiscus in Guangzhou.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51311&stc=1&d=1262729860

14 bar version

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51309&stc=1&d=1262729860

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51310&stc=1&d=1262729860

moik
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Non-albino without a doubt...Some of them look like ones I have but younger..When I first received the batch they almost looked patterned like your,over time they whited over..Funny even body shape looks the same to an extent..Who did you purchase these off of or the breeder of them is???

Eddie
01-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Non-Albino, maybe intermediates but either way, they are SUPER gorgeous!

Eddie

Ed13
01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51310&stc=1&d=1262729860

Umm, the fish on the left has red pupils;) So yeah, that one would be an albino, LOL

moik
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
The more I look at the 14 bar fish,,the more I wished mine would of stayed like yours..

Tapout_mma
01-06-2010, 03:15 AM
moik, you have some real beauties!:guitarist::guitarist::guitarist:

Love the markings on the face and fins with the solid white...Whatever the fancy name is for them, lol

Jason

vss
01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
The more I look at the 14 bar fish,,the more I wished mine would of stayed like yours..

I wish those were my fish too:D Your white scorpions look real great! It does look special to has patterns on white body, but I still prefer solid white, just like yours:)

-Xiaofei

vss
01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys! Today just heard from another guy, and he said...it is neither albino nor non-albino...it is sth in between like lutino:confused: D Once in a while I thought lutino is sth like golden or pigeon blood, but he said all maroon pupil albinos are actually lutino. What do you guys think? Thanks~

-Xiaofei :)

Rod
01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Sometimes yellow/golden non albinos are called xanthic. Lutino is a yellow form of albino, usually reserved for the birds and not fish, but i like the word for most of the albino discus as it descibes them quite well. Some have trouble with the albino word for discus because an albino by some definitions is non pigmented, but a discus albino has much pigmentation, just no black.

HTH

vss
01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Sometimes yellow/golden non albinos are called xanthic. Lutino is a yellow form of albino, usually reserved for the birds and not fish, but i like the word for most of the albino discus as it descibes them quite well. Some have trouble with the albino word for discus because an albino by some definitions is non pigmented, but a discus albino has much pigmentation, just no black.

HTH

So sorry I missed your reply for a long time! Thanks Rod! It's perfectly clear to me now :)

Another thing that confuses me is the snow white. Seems for a snow white, except for the pupil there is no pigment shown at all. Do you think in some sense a snow white is closer to the real albino than the albinos we have nowadays? Thanks~~ :D

-Xiaofei :)

Rod
01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Yes in once sense i think that is true. Many have the perception that an albino is colorless and a snow white certainly looks more akin to an albino than the brightly colored discus we all call albinos. It is interesting that in the past some asian discus pricelists would call discus with a very light body color as albino (late 80's, 90's). They meant a discus like the golden which more or less lacked black pigment. I can remember the first time i ordered these and was disapointed, no pink/red/marone iris which is how many westerners perceive an albino.

vss
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Yes in once sense i think that is true. Many have the perception that an albino is colorless and a snow white certainly looks more akin to an albino than the brightly colored discus we all call albinos. It is interesting that in the past some asian discus pricelists would call discus with a very light body color as albino (late 80's, 90's). They meant a discus like the golden which more or less lacked black pigment. I can remember the first time i ordered these and was disapointed, no pink/red/marone iris which is how many westerners perceive an albino.

Thanks again Rod! :)

-Xiaofei

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Man, Id kill for those 14 bar pigeons....albino or not...amazing! :D