PDA

View Full Version : New Tank but Old Water&Filter still needs to be cycled?

bearnuc
01-06-2010, 04:04 AM
I'll be getting a newly built tank soon and is wondering whether I would need to go through tank cycling if i am to fill Water of new Tank with 80% of water from old tank (top up with 20% Aged water). Old Canister Filter will be use to run New Tank. The only different between new tank an old tank is that i would use sand substrate (new tank) instead of aqua soil (old tank). Would I be able to put fish in straight away?

Eddie
01-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Just fill your new tank with new (dechlorinated) water and use the old filter. The tank itself isn't going to cycle. The established bacteria bed is living in the canister filter, on the media. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

Jhhnn
01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Eddie's right. The only thing I've ever done differently was to use some of the old tank water in the new tank, but that was more a matter of convenience than necessity.

Maybe it helps the new place smell like home, too...

bearnuc
01-07-2010, 04:41 AM
thank you for the clarification all ;)

underwaterforest
01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't you just love dirty filter water for cycling. I've done this instant cycle method many times over the years and it always seemed to work great. I am in the process of setting up a discus breeding tank right now and took an old sponge filter (very dirty) and squeezed the water into the new tank along with a established bio wheel from the old tank. The new filter pad is already is coated with a nice bio film, I now just have to check the water params to make sure everything is golden.

Eddie
01-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Don't you just love dirty filter water for cycling. I've done this instant cycle method many times over the years and it always seemed to work great. I am in the process of setting up a discus breeding tank right now and took an old sponge filter (very dirty) and squeezed the water into the new tank along with a established bio wheel from the old tank. The new filter pad is already is coated with a nice bio film, I now just have to check the water params to make sure everything is golden.

What do you expect to find with the water parameters, if there are no fish (ammonia sources) in the tank. :o

underwaterforest
01-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I add excess food to let it break down slowly to ammonia and I watch for any build up, just in case. You can't be too careful. I admit I'm a little OCD but my fish love it.:D