PDA

View Full Version : I am in trouble

acroken
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
I had an accident on Friday, spent two days in the hospital and it is looking like I will need back surgery. Had an MRI,discograph and cat scan on Monday. I am meeting with a surgeon tomorrow. I can not walk to well at all. My concern is water changes. My girlfriend and friends have been helping out so far but it is too much to ask of them to keep up with my 19 tanks. I think my only option is to cut back on tanks until I have recovered. This will hopefully not effect the challenge discus at all. I will crawl on my hands and knees to feed my fish. I am making arrangements to sell off 10 tanks by this weekend:mad: I hope all goes well and I can be back to work and life quickly.

Kenny

pcsb23
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Kenny I am really sorry to hear of this. I hope the prognosis is good. Having back problems is no fun at all.

It is such a shame that when problems like this happen we end up selling off some or all of our collection, particularly when an awful lot of time and effort has gone into building it up.

You have my sympathies, just wish there was more I could do.

wgtaylor
01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Kenny
Sorry to hear about that and hope you recover quick. Wish you were closer I would help with your discus.
You take care,
Bill

rickztahone
01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
i hope you get better soon Kenny

calihawker
01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh man, I'm so sorry to her that Kenny.:( I hope your recovery is quick and that you can continue to pursue the hobby, or should I say way of life with 19 tanks!:o

Get well soon my friend.

Billy Vu
01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Kenny,

I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I hope everything will be ok and my prayers will be with you.

All the best,
Billy

seanyuki
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Take care Kenny and have a speedy recovery.

smiley
01-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Get well soon mate...praying for your recovery

Harriett
01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Kenny, terribly sorry for these troubles for you. Prayers go out to you.
Best regards,
Harriett

Ed13
01-06-2010, 01:11 PM
So sorry to hear this, hope you get well soon!

mlov1022
01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Kenny, really sorry to hear. My prayers for a speedy recovery. What do you have for sale?

cmich
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry, Kenny. I hope you have as quick of a recovery as possible. If I lived close by I would have loved to come and take care of your tanks while you were recovering. Hopefully you are able to find help or sell the tanks you need to sell in order to take care of everything you need to take care of. Good luck.

Blake

Aquaben19
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
You will get through it friend. Your kindness and giving nature will come back to you and help you through it. I wish I lived closer to you, I would help out....

William Palumbo
01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
So sorry to hear Kenny. Get better soon...Bill

David Rose
01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
So sorry to hear of your accident. Fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery!

If I can do anything to help, please let me know. If you need a foster parent for your tank(s) and fishes until you're back on your feet, I'd be glad to help out.

Best wishes!

ashaysathe
01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Oh man Kenney. So sorry to hear this. I will you all the very best, Good Luck

fishyj
01-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Kenny, I am so sorry to hear this. I wish I lived closer, I would help you out. Best of luck, and Get well soon

Disgirl
01-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Hope you heal up well and soon Kenny! Let others help you out for awhile and then you can get back to full discus care sooner. Best wishes!
Barb:)

Eddie
01-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Wow Kenny, that is not what I expected, when I opened up this post. I am so sorry to hear about your back, thats awful. I hope that you have a swift recovery and that you are back up and running soon.

Best wishes my friend,

Eddie

Finatic
01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
As someone who has had back problems myself, I am sorry that you are experiencing this. Its insult to injury that you also are forced from your hobby as well. Hopefully you find some help, and dont have to abandon your discus keeping.

Good Luck!

dpt8
01-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Kenny, I tried sending you a pm but your box is full. So sorry to hear of your accident. If I lived close I could help with the maintenance of your tanks.. Take care bro.. I am praying for good health for you really soon. David

Yassmeena
01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Kenny,

I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you will keep us posted about your surgery and progress. Don't worry too much about the discus. Your health comes first, even if you have to sell them all off.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and patience for the road ahead.

Well wishes,

Yasmin

Wahter
01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Get well soon!!!

Walter

roclement
01-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Kenny, best of luck! I am in NJ and can drive down to help you once a week if you need it, please do not hesitate to ask!

Rod

joanr
01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Best wishes for a full recovery Kenny, always look forward to your contest updates. If I were back on Spruce Street I'd offer my help, but I'm sure you'll be ok, just hang in there!

Scribbles
01-07-2010, 04:05 AM
Wow, so sorry to hear about your accident and injuries! I wish that I lived closer so that I could offer some help. Take care of yourself. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Chris

TankWatcher
01-07-2010, 06:17 AM
That is such awful news. Your health is more imortant than the hobby, but I hope you do get your health back super quick, so you can get all your 19 tanks back real soon.

Take care

Kenny's Discus
01-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Kenny

I'm so terribly sorry to hear of this. I wish you a speedy and full recovery and don't worry about fish for now. Hope the prognosis turns out to be better than the initial one with no back surgery needed. Get better soon and if there's the slightest thing I can help please just let me know.

Take care of yourself Kenny and hang in there.

Kenny

acroken
01-08-2010, 10:16 AM
i really love this forum. where else can you find such a classy and caring bunch of people like here on SD. It has cheered me up to hear all the kind words of encouragement and offers to help.Thank you all. It is looking like i will need a few of my discs fused L4,L5 and S1. I have another appointment on Monday with a highly recommended surgeon at the University of Penn. At this point surgery is a most. I want it done as soon as possible. I have an out of work friend who has been helping me out with w/c and feedings and hopefully i will be selling off a few tanks of fish on Saturday to lessen the load.

Thanks again!
Kenny

BOBT00LS
01-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Kenny Im so sorry to hear about your back. I hope all goes well with your surgery and you have a speedy recovery. Your a good guy and always reach out to others in need. If you need my help in any way, dont hesitate to ask. Right now your health is whats most important. Give me a buzz if you need my help.

Bob

Chad Hughes
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Kenny,

Get well soon! You are in my thoughts.

Best wishes!

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Sorry to hear Kenny, your such a great guy, I know you have plenty of ppl that would be willing to help you in any way possible. If I were in your area, believe me I'd be there all day to help you.

back problems are the worst. I wish you a speedy recovery my friend. I bet you STILL win this thing! ;):p

I also wish I was closer to take some fish off ur hands LOL. I know you got some quality over there. but hey man, even tho u have to get rid of some tanks, look at it as a new beginning. once your back up and running...you can have you DREAM tanks. you know how you been scopin strains out but you just dont have the room or the time to take them on?!?! well now you will. nothing but perfect fish that you have been wanting for a long time (thats how I would look at it! :))

sorry to hear again Kenny, I really hope you feel better soon. hope all is well bro. I bet youll be back up in no time after the surgery. my concern is with you bro. wishin u a speedy recovery!

take care Ken. talk soon.

scottthomas
01-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Get well soon. I am sorry for your back problems. Do whatever the docs say so that you will have a speedy recovery. I would hate to hear you reinjured your back trying to do water changes

patrick richard
01-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Kenny,

I'm sorry to hear about your back. Give that back plenty of rest. It's good to hear that you have some friends helping with your tanks. I know you put alot of work into your collection of fish. Hope you make a speedy recovery...

Patrick

mugzy213
01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your back! I hope for a speed recovery!

mkv
01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Kenny:

Hope everything works out. Not long ago I was rear ended by a "smart guy" who was texting while driving. I'm still going to the doctor and have my son do the water changes for me.....

April
01-13-2010, 01:09 AM
hope all is going well. ..we will all be pulling for your speedy recovery.

Elite Aquaria
01-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Kenny,

I just saw this thread...I am so sorry to hear the news. I hope things turn out for you. As many others have said the fish can be replaced just focus on your health buddy. God Speed for a quick recovery.

heckel90
01-14-2010, 03:42 PM
kenny,
I´m sorry about your back, but your health always is first.

you did the best and will do the best so dont worry about it.

get well soon!!

subcooler
01-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Kenny,
Sorry to hear about your back injury!
I just saw this thread today & apologize in the delay responding!

My friend,I'm only about an hour away(south Jersey) and would be more than happy to help out in any way I can!

I also have been diagnosed wiht L5/S1 disk hernaition & fusion recommended-situation is currently bearable & walking is not suffering.I know what your going through! Get a 2nd opinion before any decision,looking into any other option before deciding on fusion!

Get better soon & let's meet again @ NE Discus meeting :balloon:

You'll be in my thoughts & prayers,
Rob

Lytehouse
01-19-2010, 09:18 PM
So very sorry, just saw the thread.

Hope you are ok

acroken
01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
I really appreciate everyone's replies to my situation. I have seen 3 surgeons who all feel my back is too unstable with the amount of slippage, graded at a 4/5. My concerns, which are many but topping the list is the % of success they will have in fusing my spine. I know i can not keep on living with the condition i am in now. I have decided to take a gamble on a new developing technique which shows to be very promising. Laser percutaneous endoscopic discectomy. I am leaving tonight for Pittsburgh and should be on my way back home on Friday. The doctor feels he can relieve the points (nerve canals)that are pressing on the nerves and causing me such pain. This will be done in two sessions about 2 to 4 weeks apart. The main advantage with this procedure is no major incisions, so i should recover faster. This will not correct my spine but hopefully stop the pain. I will be able to look into other alternative ways to correct my problem once i can see straight. I will be in touch soon.

Kenny

pcsb23
01-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Good luck Kenny.

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
good luck Kenny, sounds pretty promising to me. once the pain is relived you will just take it from there. thats the first thing to overcome. Im sure they gave you oxycontins, hydrocodones....I feel like these dont really do much for pain. hopefully this new procedure will handle it.

good luck Ken, take care my friend.

wgtaylor
01-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a good plan Kenny.
Really hope it works like magic for you.
Take care
Bill

Lytehouse
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Life looks a lot different without pain

Prayers for the surgery team

acroken
01-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I am on my way home now from Pittsburgh. The doc feels pretty good about the procedure. I can not tell yet as i am still on some heavy pain med. He said i should be feeling better in about 3 days. I am scheduled to go back Feb 11th for what should be the last laser treatment. I sure hope this works. The procedure was easy. i was awake the whole time. I have just two incisions about 1" long glued and covered with a band-aid. Not even a stitch:) Thank you all for the support, it has really helped my spirits.

Kenny

David Rose
01-22-2010, 10:20 AM
WooHooo for great meds! There is nothing worse than chronic back pain and I know from personal experience.

All the best Kenny for a speedy recovery. My offer still stands if you need any help whether it's a trip to pitch in or being a foster parent temporarily.

So get home...sleep...and heal fast bud!
David

GrillMaster
01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Just got the news from Al...Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery my friend!! If its any consolation, my next door neighbor had the same procedure done and he is running around like a teenager again! He said it was like turning on a light switch going from intense pain to completely normal and pain free. Hes even playin golf again.

Get well bud and hope to see you soon!! :)

subcooler
01-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I really appreciate everyone's replies to my situation. I have seen 3 surgeons who all feel my back is too unstable with the amount of slippage, graded at a 4/5. My concerns, which are many but topping the list is the % of success they will have in fusing my spine. I know i can not keep on living with the condition i am in now. I have decided to take a gamble on a new developing technique which shows to be very promising. Laser percutaneous endoscopic discectomy. I am leaving tonight for Pittsburgh and should be on my way back home on Friday. The doctor feels he can relieve the points (nerve canals)that are pressing on the nerves and causing me such pain. This will be done in two sessions about 2 to 4 weeks apart. The main advantage with this procedure is no major incisions, so i should recover faster. This will not correct my spine but hopefully stop the pain. I will be able to look into other alternative ways to correct my problem once i can see straight. I will be in touch soon.

Kenny

Kenny,
I'm glad to hear your found a course of action besides spinal fusion(statistically ,not that successful @ all!)

I hope the laser procedure works to relieve your back pain!

Maybe you could forward any websites or info on the procedure ?

Peace,
Rob

ashaysathe
01-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Good Luck my friend. I will you all the very best.