PDA

View Full Version : second spawn - behaviour question

shappers
01-06-2010, 03:00 PM
i have a pair alone in a tank who spawned for the second time last night

the first time they ate the eggs within 12 hours
so far they haven't eaten any of this batch
2 out of about 70-80 have turned white, the rest are starting to look jelly like

one of the pair guards/fans them continually, but whichever one leaves the discon goes to the other side of it and starts shaking and cleaning again?? should i be concerned - or just confused

also the light in this aquarium is not bright - should i leave it on for the duration until something happens?

kaceyo
01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Keep an eye on them and if they spawn again be ready to remove the new eggs right away. (unless the second spawn is much larger and you'd rather go with the bigger spawn). Otherwise they will abandon the first batch in favor of the second. If they are determind to spawn again you may want to cover the first batch with a screen.
Lighting doesn't matter untill you get freeswimmers. Even then it may or may not matter depending on the behavior of that particuler pair.

Kacey

smiley
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
are the 2 proven pairs...else just watch out..my pair turned out to be 2 females

shappers
01-06-2010, 04:27 PM
are the 2 proven pairs...else just watch out..my pair turned out to be 2 females
as per the post - only their second spawn, first spawn all eaten
behave like pair, both did passes, 24 hrs on only 3 white eggs
how would i know?

shappers
01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Lighting doesn't matter untill you get freeswimmers. Even then it may or may not matter depending on the behavior of that particuler pair.

Kacey

should it stay on or off at that point?

kaceyo
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I keep a small night light on in the room 24/7 so it's never pitch black. The room light and tank lights are turned off at night.

Kacey

mmorris
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
the rest are starting to look jelly like

What do you mean, jelly like? They shouldn't be jelly like. Tomorrow will tell. :)

Dutch dude
01-07-2010, 09:06 AM
When my pairs started spawning in a communety tank one of them also started to clean a new spot away from the eggs. After the eggs hatched they moved the wigglers to the new spot. This happened several times and one spawn was moved 4 times before free swimming.

Also,.....the fish are just starting to spawn and might need quit some attempts to get it right.

MostlyDiscus
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
My thought is that if both fish passed over the eggs then you most likely have a pair. I have seen two females spawn but most times its only one female doing the laying. Two females can lay together though. How many eggs did you have on the breeding site?

Ed

shappers
01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
about 70, but they ate them anyway!

scottthomas
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree with mmorris, the eggs shouldnt look jelly like

shappers
01-07-2010, 05:21 PM
I agree with mmorris, the eggs shouldnt look jelly like

ok - bad use of english!