PDA

View Full Version : this is where they stay ...

traco
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
at the farthest spot away from me! :mad: Everything is fine with water params, zero for ammonia and nitrite, 5 for nitrates. Water changes done daily, anywhere from 25% to 75%. Had them for over a month now. Would taking everything out help? They are in my office which I'm in pretty much all day. Just frustrating to look at them huddled in the corner mostly.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/traco1/DSC_0003-4.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/traco1/DSC_0009-3.jpg

Tropheus
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm no expert but you might want to try and remove the wood and plant from the center of the tank. Is the temp right? (84-86 degrees) They seem to be huddling awfully close to that heat source is the reason I ask.

akumastew
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I think MMorris said something along the lines of...

"give them somewhere to hide and they will"

I had a similar issue, I removed all the tank decor and the beautiful fishes take the time to swim around.

After removing the decor, you could probably add it back over a time and mayeb they will decide they like swimming more than hiding.

They could be finding the place that has lowest current, which mine do during my water changes. Mayeb try switching off one of the HOBs for a couple of hours and see if they come out.

-Stew

traco
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
The temp is 86. That corner is the furthest away from me and one of the heaters just happens to be there also. lol

I have yet to set up a sump for the tank. The heaters can fit in there and I could take out all decorations for the time being.

roclement
01-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Is the bottom of the tank covered or painted? What's beneath the tank? I found that with bare bottom glass and a clear glass they get skittish, specially with strong lights, try putting something beneath the glass and see if it helps, you can also lower the lights, assuming you have lights on the tank.

Rod

William Palumbo
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm with Rod...It looks very bright and reflective in that tank. Can and usually does cause problems. Happy Discus will always swim up front and in the open, no matter how much decorating is in the tank...Bill

Finatic
01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
A background would help also. It doesnt really look like they have anything to really hide behind, but the brightness of the tank may be the problem rather than them hiding behind the driftwood. They just look spooked a bit.

Eddie
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Also, how strong is the lighting?

Eddie

mmorris
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
It doesn't look like they are trying to use plants/decorations to hide behind. I can't add more to what has been said - cut the lighting, add a background.

Tropheus
01-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I am not a long time keeper of these fish but....

when I bought my dicsus from Hans, I had sand and drift wood in the tank. For the first couple of days, the fish didn't seem right. They would stay as far away from the decorations as possible. I thought about it and realized Hans keeps all of his tanks barebottom. No sand, wood or plants. I took the decorations out of the tank and within hours, the fish were using the entire tank.

I put the wood back in a couple days later....and they did the same thing. It was alien to them. I pulled the wood back out and problem solved. There is certainly a mentality going on here, and you might want to give it a try just to see what happens.:)

Jhhnn
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
It doesn't look like they are trying to use plants/decorations to hide behind. I can't add more to what has been said - cut the lighting, add a background.

And something under the bottom glass, if it's just open to the cabinet. Maybe turn down the flow thru the filters.

I like to use 1/2" foamboard insulation from the home despot, cover it w/ upholstery vinyl or whatever using spray adhesive, tape it to the back, get the size just right to wedge it up against the bottom... Works great, helps to keep the heat in the tank where you want it.

Nice turqs! Is the one SS a sibling?

traco
01-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.:) Okay, for lighting I have two power compacts, 65 watts each. So too much light, 130 watts? I do have an old light fixture which I can use, it has a 54 watt single T5, would that be better?

I have nothing underneath the bottom, it shows the color of the cabinet (light brown). So even with showing the cabinet, it still can throw shadows? So the trick is to have something pressed right up against the bottom glass? I think I have an Aqueon tank (not sure if the spelling is right?) and the tank sits on the black molding so there is a space underneath the glass. If I use the foamboard, I'd cut it to fit inside the molding flush against the bottom glass as opposed to cutting it so the black molding sits on it? Will it compress enough when putting the tank back on the stand so it sits even?

I have no background but can get something.

roclement
01-07-2010, 12:05 AM
yes, i would cut the light down and add a background. I would dare say add some cover on the sides as well just to make them feel safe. As for the bottom, i would not worry if they don't feel like they are on a bottomless tank, if there is a piece of wood from the cabinet you are fine.

JMO
Rod

traco
01-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Okay, at least they are easy fixes. I'll let you know how things go after I fix things up for them.:)

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-07-2010, 12:45 AM
think of it this way...if you were in a glass box and couldnt define a bottom (or any other sides) wouldnt you be a bit skittish?

-Ryan

April
01-07-2010, 03:47 AM
if theres a solid bottom under i dont think thats it..maybe shadows..is there a light or window behind you barb when you st at your desk? maybe you look like a big black monster..stop wearing black. lol.
they look healthy and happy..try different things. shut curtains, dim their light..etc see if they relax more. sneak a peak when your not in the room see if they are swimming about merrily. if they are..then id say shadows or something..

rickztahone
01-07-2010, 03:53 AM
IME, even the color of the stand makes the discus skittish. i think adding something, be it styro, construction paper, whatever it may be would be better than the cabinet by itself. this has been from my experience.

Scribbles
01-07-2010, 04:14 AM
I agree that they need something under the tank. The change to lower lighting should help too.

Chris

Buckster
01-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Another thought is, you stated they stay at the farthest place from you. By any chance is there a window or other light source behind you? (in order of fish, you, light source) Your siloetted shape might be spooking them as well.

April
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
thsts what i said..yes if behind you..then you look like a black silhouette.
do they come up for food ?

traco
01-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Yep, it goes window, me then tank, so I'm the big hulking black thing. If I'm sitting at the desk and look over, they are swimming about. They come up for food, so it is shadows, lighting, etc... I'm off this weekend so shall tune up their home for them.:)

Eddie
01-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Yep, it goes window, me then tank, so I'm the big hulking black thing. If I'm sitting at the desk and look over, they are swimming about. They come up for food, so it is shadows, lighting, etc... I'm off this weekend so shall tune up their home for them.:)

Sounds like a plan, then lets see some new shots of them staying right up front!

All the best,

Eddie

FastieFishRB03
01-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Make sure the temp is 82-66, put more hiding place in, the more hiding places the more braver they get. If you get a school of cardinal tetras they feel safer and they come out more.

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I hear ya, Im kinda in the same boat with my wayne blue juvies...theres nothing in the tank but a cone, and theres no tank light...when they had a tank light they used to stay huddled the same way yours look in the pics, they would huddle around the AC110 intake tho. thats the main reason I stopped using a tank light:o. still to this day, if 1 gets spooked enough, they all dart back behind the filter intake lol. I think some discus are just more scared of everything than others. with the tank light off, they eat like monsters, swim all around...with the tank lights on they stay huddled in a ball behind the filter intake...I know that if I blasted them with the light(only single tube 40 w) everyday they would probably be used to it by now...but it was really pissing me off that they werent swimming around, and werent really killing the food like they should, so I took the tank light off. probably not the best idea tho, now eventually Ill have to get them used to it again, but maybe this time around they will be older, bigger, smarter and less afraid. I may also add in my 2 big wayne blues that arent afraid of ANYTHING. I think if I add the big ballsy fish in with the smaller juvs, they might show them the ropes.

if nothing else works for you, try turning off the tank light. I BET they seem way happier. :o

good luck, take care.

Tito
01-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Traco

You received some awesome advice here. Your fish should be happy if you take the recomendations.

traco
01-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Well, I put a background up, a side ground (the side they always scoot to), white bottom and put a single light on the tank Saturday. They still huddle in "their" corner if I move around. So it's got to be the location of the tank in the room ... if I sit quietly in my chair, they swim all around. You move, they move back into their corner. They are still bossing each other around, especially at feeding time. So short of moving the tank, I'll just have to make do with "scardy cat" fish I guess! sigh:(

traco
01-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Okay, just after I posted, I noticed one of the leopards just had a white pooh. I looked at him and his gills are flared, not really red or inflamed but definately flared more than the others. I'll go post in the hospital section. Poor little guy.:(

Finatic
01-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Maybe some day they will come out of their shell. Having the background and sides covered could speed up their shedding the shyness.

At least you know that their huddling isnt due to sickness since you see them act normal when they arent spooked by your movement. :)

Finatic
01-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Okay, just after I posted, I noticed one of the leopards just had a white pooh. I looked at him and his gills are flared, not really red or inflamed but definately flared more than the others. I'll go post in the hospital section. Poor little guy.:(

Ok, I spoke too soon. White poo is a bad sign. Usually the first sign of Hex. Definately post in the sick section and hopefully one of the vets can get you going on what to do.

Good luck and keep us posted!

gwrace
03-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I am not a long time keeper of these fish but....

when I bought my dicsus from Hans, I had sand and drift wood in the tank. For the first couple of days, the fish didn't seem right. They would stay as far away from the decorations as possible. I thought about it and realized Hans keeps all of his tanks barebottom. No sand, wood or plants. I took the decorations out of the tank and within hours, the fish were using the entire tank.

I put the wood back in a couple days later....and they did the same thing. It was alien to them. I pulled the wood back out and problem solved. There is certainly a mentality going on here, and you might want to give it a try just to see what happens.:)

Well I also bought a few small fish from Hans but had the opposite result. I started them out in a BB tank. They were really shy and skittish. I have since added about a half inch of gravel and a few decorations and they are completely different fish. They now swim freely around the tank and beg to be fed whenever I approach the tank. Having that small amount of gravel has not made cleaning the tank any more difficult than when it was a BB accept it looks a lot nicer IMHO. It's also white gravel which makes cleaning a pretty simple process.

SHAD0W
03-01-2010, 10:16 AM
My new discus are often quite shy, they seem to come out more at night time or late evening, but more so if the lights in the tank are on, but the lights in the room are off so they can't see me... am I that scary?

rickztahone
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Well I also bought a few small fish from Hans but had the opposite result. I started them out in a BB tank. They were really shy and skittish. I have since added about a half inch of gravel and a few decorations and they are completely different fish. They now swim freely around the tank and beg to be fed whenever I approach the tank. Having that small amount of gravel has not made cleaning the tank any more difficult than when it was a BB accept it looks a lot nicer IMHO. It's also white gravel which makes cleaning a pretty simple process.
Let me guess, your BB's bottom was not painted.

dbfzurowski
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Let me guess, your BB's bottom was not painted.

hehe, i went from planted gravel to
potted plants bb(not painted)-fish hated it- to
potted plants fine sand -to cover the reflection- to
finally my painted cream white bottom with plants attached to driftwood
looks pretty good as i used a brush to paint.
And now, like everybody with little more experience, i can only recommended painted bb!