PDA

View Full Version : Sponge vs HOB

henpecked
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi all,

I have always wondered if there is any difference in performance between sponges and my HOBs

I use an AC110 & an Emperor 400 on my 75g show tank for a better look, but I use sponges in my breeding tanks. Whenever I see a picture of a Discus tank, there is a sponge. Is this for cost or for something beneficial to the fish:confused:

Eddie
01-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi all,

I have always wondered if there is any difference in performance between sponges and my HOBs

I use an AC110 & an Emperor 400 on my 75g show tank for a better look, but I use sponges in my breeding tanks. Whenever I see a picture of a Discus tank, there is a sponge. Is this for cost or for something beneficial to the fish:confused:

For me, its to have an extra sponge filter cycled. You never know when you might need a spare. ;)

Eddie

Darrell Ward
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
I ran 110's for years, way back when they were called 500's or whatever it was. I don't use them anymore because they are too darn expensive. IMO, they are not worth what they are going for now. After all, they are just plastic. Sponge filters are the great! Cheap to buy, easy to clean (just give them a squeeze in tank water), and holds tons of bacteria. Unless you need to run some kind of chemical media, the sponge wins easily, hands down.