PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a product......?

Fishy knickers
01-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi, I have just set up a new RO system up, storage barrel with heat and aeration...but I'm a bit confused about re-mineralisation. Using tap water is out of the question as nitrates sometimes come out at over 80ppm!!

The RO water comes out at pH6.

I know I need to replace trace elements, AND make the pH a tad higher. I have tried some Tropic Marin Remineral Tropic..but this made the water 7.5pH.

Is there a product that would remineralise and buffer my water up just a bit...all in one product? Can I use a bit less than the prescribed dosage without it leaving the water too low in required minerals? Or do I have to remineralise AND get a pH adjuster?

I know I need a TDS tester....will be getting one soon.

Many thanks.

Pardal
01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Try R/O Right, from Kent freshwater and use 1/2 teaspoon for every 10 gallons and when you get your TDS meter shoot for 80 to 125 ppm or 100 to 150us or a General Hardness 1 to 3. This is kind of text book in practice remember that what Discus need is stable conditions and never change PH more than .3 at the time. I keep my juveniles up to 7.5 ph straight tap water just dechlorinated.
Julian
Discuholic

Fishy knickers
01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi, thanks for replying. Does the RO right alter the pH at all? If not- is 6pH a happy place to be (for the discus!)?

Cheers

bto
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I've been using RO Right for the last year or so and it has not affected the PH. The RO water in my storage tank comes out with a PH of 7.02 and I have been able to adjust the TDS to any range I want. I keep the TDS between 70 and 75 and the PH stays just about neutral.:)

Fishy knickers
01-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi again...but my RO comes out at 6pH...isn't that too low? How do you adjust the TDS...I thought this was governed by the RO proccess? Sorry if this makes me a numpty!!

bto
01-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm not 100% sure. My tap water starts out at 7.6 PH and comes out at 7 after running through the RO system. The tap starts out at 160 TDS and then drops to about 5 to 7 TDS after running through the RO. I just add enough of teh RO right to bring the TDS up and teh PH does not change. Again, I'm not really sure how it works, I'm just sharing my experience with RO right.

As far as a PH of 6 ... I'm not sur ethat will bother the discus ... as you read through the various post, there are a lot of different levels that everyone uses ... not sure if one is better that the other.:)

moik
01-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Most people just use thier tapwater to desired TDS..A mix of RO and tapwater..No need for fancy chemicals..Plenty of threads on this topic in the water dept..

akumastew
01-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Most people just use thier tapwater to desired TDS..A mix of RO and tapwater..No need for fancy chemicals..Plenty of threads on this topic in the water dept..

I think the issue with mxing his RO with tap water is that his Tap water can have as much as 80ppm Nitrates.

Eddie
01-07-2010, 07:17 PM
I think the issue with mxing his RO with tap water is that his Tap water can have as much as 80ppm Nitrates.

Whats wrong with nitrates? Some breeders in Europe raise amazing discus in water with high nitrates.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60443&highlight=stendker+nitrates

Eddie

akumastew
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Whats wrong with nitrates? Some breeders in Europe raise amazing discus in water with high nitrates.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60443&highlight=stendker+nitrates

Eddie

Darn you eddie, and your search function expertise. ;)

In my defense, it is commonly stated that one of the reasons we do water changes is to rid the tank of nitrates which the the end product of the nitrification process that rids us of Ammonia and Nitrites.

As I am not a fish doctor, and have not studied nitrate effects on fish, I accepted this commonly stated remark, as being a fact.

roundfishross
01-08-2010, 04:21 PM
i use ro right and it yeilds a neutral ph as it states on the label, my ro is about 5.8 if the ph is too high when the water is remineralized i use acid buffer(seachem) caution a little goes a loooooong way!!! get the tds where you want it and then put in the buffer your ppm will jump but will go back where it needs to be. my tap is really soft and the ppm are only 30 to 50 so i cant remineralize with it. maybe this will help you i had a hard time finding info on how to do this because everyone does it a little differently:D

Eddie
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Darn you eddie, and your search function expertise. ;)

In my defense, it is commonly stated that one of the reasons we do water changes is to rid the tank of nitrates which the the end product of the nitrification process that rids us of Ammonia and Nitrites.

As I am not a fish doctor, and have not studied nitrate effects on fish, I accepted this commonly stated remark, as being a fact.

LOL, no worries. Its not just the search function. Its usually something that I have read. I will simply do a search using key words that I remember from a reading and viola!

Nitrates are not the reason behind water changes. It just so happens that the end product of nitrification is the build up of nitrates, and when a tank has been running for a long time, the nitrates accumulate but that is not why we need to change it. That water is also greatly polluted with DOCs and completely spent, having no essential minerals. Changing water just happens to remove those nitrates along with the DOCs and replenishes the tank with useable (nutrient rich) water. Discus absorb just as much from water as they do from food. ;)

Eddie

mmorris
01-09-2010, 12:05 AM
You might want to use a mix of RO and tap run through an HMA.

Fishy knickers
01-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Dumb question..but what are DOC's and what do they do?

Eddie
01-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Dumb question..but what are DOC's and what do they do?

Not a dumb question at all. Dissolved Organic Compounds (DOC)

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/Magazine/Dissolved-Organic-Compounds-Explained.html

Take care,

Eddie

Willie
01-09-2010, 08:47 AM
I would question the nitrate reading. Nitrate levels above 30 ppm are considerable unsuitable for human consumption, with specific impact on infants. If my tap had such high readings, it would be a serious safety issue vs a hobby issue.

Willie

Eddie
01-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I would question the nitrate reading. Nitrate levels above 30 ppm are considerable unsuitable for human consumption, with specific impact on infants. If my tap had such high readings, it would be a serious safety issue vs a hobby issue.

Willie

I've read from others on here that Stendker in Germany actually keeps/raises their fish in water with an extremely high nitrate value, well above 30ppm. Is it true, couldn't tell you. :o Maybe Hans can give some insight.

Eddie