PDA

View Full Version : Would a black backed tank darken discus?

Fishy knickers
01-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I have a 55 gallon bow fronted tank with a black painted background, and the bottom also reflects black as a result. I have some Penang Eruptions and some blue diamonds....I haven't kept discus before and don't know if they should look lighter....and would it be worthwhile emptying the tank and paiting the bottom and back with a lighter colour paint. If I should do this- what colour would show them off to their best?

Thanks

Finatic
01-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Do they act normal and are dark, or are they hiding, not eating, swimming at weird angles, or anything else that seems unusual for fish?

Black backgrounds can make them dark, but most often just peppers certain discus. Dark discus is usually the first sign that something is amiss...

Perhaps some of the vets can chime in, but that would be my first concern.

Eddie
01-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I have a 55 gallon bow fronted tank with a black painted background, and the bottom also reflects black as a result. I have some Penang Eruptions and some blue diamonds....I haven't kept discus before and don't know if they should look lighter....and would it be worthwhile emptying the tank and paiting the bottom and back with a lighter colour paint. If I should do this- what colour would show them off to their best?

Thanks

I'd do it, you'll be well happy with the results!

Eddie

Yassmeena
01-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd do it, you'll be well happy with the results!

Eddie

I agree with Eddie! You will be surprised at the difference it makes.

In general, lighter colors are better than darker colors. But exactly what color is a matter of personal preference. Something I like to do is google images of the strain and compare how they look in different backgrounds which people have presented. You can also get a more realistic idea by looking at you tube videos.

Kinda like discus research. :D

HTH

Yasmin

mmorris
01-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Blue diamonds darken with a dark background. I don't know about PE's, but I would think they would as well. You might want to try painting the bottom (outside, of course) a sand color and see how you like it with the black background. I really like the looks of a black background but it doesn't suit all discus.

Macca
01-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Hi Fishy, my son has taken on my aquarium in the last couple of months and added a black background to it, its proved to be a bad move, if you check out this video you'll see that the fish are healthy enough but very dark as they're trying to blend in :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjdboWCguI

He started to experiment a little, he took out half of the gravel to expose the white polystyrene under the tank and have the lights reflect off it, even that small move makes the fish look different :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceKxuWieAI&feature=channel

He has a new larger set up on the way so will make more changes with background and substrate in that set.

I'd recommend you get off on the right foor and lighten it up.

Macca

Fishy knickers
01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the replies all...

Do you think that the bottom is the main problem, or the background...or definitely both combined?

zamboniMan
01-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Probably both. Though it's generally accepted that substrate contributes most (unless I have it backwards?) to fish darkening. I suggest you change them both, maybe go with white sand. I think white backgounds' really make discus pop especially the blues but that's just my opinion.

Good luck,
Josh

Macca
01-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Well we were noticing in my sons tank that the discus would hug the black back pane and try to blend with that.

Macca