PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my water (pH6)

Fishy knickers
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I have an RO system that spits out a pH of exactly 6...should I do something to raise it a bit....or just leave it alone and get something to remineralise it at pH6?

I have tried Tropic Marin (not the discus one) and this changes the pH to 7.5..higher than my original tapwater!! I would imagine that this is not the discus' favourite pH...and especially for breeding...?(I have a pair that have laid eggs in the past)

Cheers

akumastew
01-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I have an RO system that spits out a pH of exactly 6...should I do something to raise it a bit....or just leave it alone and get something to remineralise it at pH6?

I have tried Tropic Marin (not the discus one) and this changes the pH to 7.5..higher than my original tapwater!! I would imagine that this is not the discus' favourite pH...and especially for breeding...?(I have a pair that have laid eggs in the past)

Cheers

Hi Fishy Knickers

There are a couple of ways you can remineralize your RO water.

1. Buy a product like, R/O Right. This replaces gH but not kH if I recall correctly. You would then want to add something that increase your kH. Maybe some crushed coral in your water staorage container.

2. Mix RO with your tap water, to get the required gh/kH/ph balance you are looking for.

I use the second method, which is a whole lot cheaper than buying R/O right.

A pH of 6 wouldn't be an issue, the goal is to get a pH that you can consistantly get for each water change.

You would probably want to stay away from Marine salt based additives, as I imagine those are designed for salt water aquaria and therer are a number of products available designed for Discus.

- Stew

exv152
01-08-2010, 04:13 PM
2. Mix RO with your tap water, to get the required gh/kH/ph balance you are looking for.

Agreed, not only is it cheaper it's also the most stable way of doing it. Try a half and half mix at first then adjust it accordingly. No need to do anything else.

Fishy knickers
01-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Eric I'm afraid that my tapwater is crap...nitrates regularly spike at around 80ppm..so god only knows what else is in there!!.....hence the RO unit.

Does anyone else successfully manage to breed and raise fry in pH6?

Cheers

Tito
01-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Eric I'm afraid that my tapwater is crap...nitrates regularly spike at around 80ppm..so god only knows what else is in there!!.....hence the RO unit.

Does anyone else successfully manage to breed and raise fry in pH6?

Cheers

What's wrong with a low pH?

Fishy knickers
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Dunno...was hoping you could tell me!!:p I had read that 6 was too low for hatching and raising fry.....if it's not true..then I'll just get some RO right and use that. Bob's yer auntie!!

Darrell Ward
01-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Dunno...was hoping you could tell me!!:p I had read that 6 was too low for hatching and raising fry.....if it's not true..then I'll just get some RO right and use that. Bob's yer auntie!!

That's a new one on me. I have hatched and raised fry for years with my water, 6.0 right out of the faucet, which is they way I use it because it's from a well with no chemicals. I have heard that hard water decreases the hatch rate, but because my water is so soft, I've never tried it.

zamboniMan
01-11-2010, 12:57 PM
your pH is fine as long as it's always the same. if its constantly changing you should worry but otherwise its all good.

exv152
01-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Is a reading of 6 pH the lowest your test kit will go? and what is your KH reading?

BODYDUB
01-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Did anyone ask what the PH level is after the water has been aerated?????

Elite Aquaria
01-14-2010, 11:28 AM
There is nothing wrong with a PH of 6 for fry....The key is to keep it stable...what every your water settles in at if it is 7.5 or 6.0 just leave it alone. Instability in your parms will cause the parents to eat the eggs or fry.

Jhhnn
01-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Straight RO water has zip buffering capacity, inviting pH crash. Adding some buffers can prevent that. Might try the Tropic Marin stuff you already have at half dosage, or even baking soda. Whatever the pH, a DKH of 3 or so is desirable. It's a safety factor issue.

And, yeh, aerate a sample for 24 hrs to see if the pH comes up from degassing CO2. If it does come up much at all, then you need to age & adjust your water before putting it in the tank.