PDA

View Full Version : UV/Ozone Water cond.

underwaterforest
01-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I am just setting up a new 29 gallon breeding (hopefully) tank and was wondering how overboard I should go on the UV/ozone apparatus. I currently have a 18 watt UV sterilizer which I was planning on running on the new tank. Do I need to also run a ozone unit since I also heard that the fry can be sensitive to many BacT/Fungal pathogens? I hope that I am alright with just the UV light, but if fry/egg health can be increased by addition of the ozone I will look into it. I plan on using mainly tap water because I had no problems with it in my current aquariums, but I also have a RO filter in case I need to soften the water. I usally just use the simple declor (which I believe is sodium thiosulfate) to remove chlorine from the tap, but should I age my water? What benefits does aging having other than temperature and chlorine removal?

From the local water board states my tap is:
Total dissolved solids 93 mg/L
hardness- 49-90 mg/L
Ph around 7-7.5
Chlorine .63 mg/L

My Cheap (not very reliable) test strips say my aquarium water is:

GH 120-180
KH 80-120
PH 6.0-6.5

Any thoughts for improving water quality for breeding would be appreciated.

zamboniMan
01-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Ozone is good just make sure you run your water through activated carbon. Though if your already running UV I wouldn't add ozone. Both together will be more effective than just one.

Chad Hughes runs ozone so you might check with him for more info on that.