PDA

View Full Version : How to ship fish?

htruong
01-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi All,

Someone want to buy my fish and want me to ship him the fish overnight. I've never done that. I want to know how I could do that? I talked with my LFS and they said just put the fish in the foam box. I asked them about putting oxygen in the bag. He said it is not allowed under federal laws to have oxygen in the fish bag because it could explode. I know you guys've done this alot. Please advice.

Thanks,
-Hoang

ifixoldhouses
01-08-2010, 05:12 PM
I found a good thread with step by step instructions on an angelfish forum here:

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=13953

April
01-08-2010, 05:18 PM
if its overnight you need oxygen in the bag. ive never heard that..thats sillyall shippers use oxygen. you dont need to tell them you have oxygen in the bags... you just leave a tiny bit of expansion room. you should use 1/3 very clean water..new water is best..a bit of prime or bag buddies..oxygen..2/3.s you should double bag with paper in between. i fodl it nicely around the first bag..then insert into the next bag before i add water. easiest. fold the top over for easier time adding the fish. use double , triple elastics..you need a cardboard box..with styro inside..and a plastic liner. this time of year you also need heatpacks. a couple at least depending on weather. shake..tape to lid. an airhole for the heatpack is good..make sure you check out the pickup hours .

zamboniMan
01-08-2010, 10:10 PM
if its overnight you need oxygen in the bag. ive never heard that..thats sillyall shippers use oxygen. you dont need to tell them you have oxygen in the bags... you just leave a tiny bit of expansion room. you should use 1/3 very clean water..new water is best..a bit of prime or bag buddies..oxygen..2/3.s you should double bag with paper in between. i fodl it nicely around the first bag..then insert into the next bag before i add water. easiest. fold the top over for easier time adding the fish. use double , triple elastics..you need a cardboard box..with styro inside..and a plastic liner. this time of year you also need heatpacks. a couple at least depending on weather. shake..tape to lid. an airhole for the heatpack is good..make sure you check out the pickup hours .

Not everyone bags with oxygen. Just doesn't happen.

I don't think you need the paper in between the bags. On the rare occasion when I ship fish I just double or triple bag. Put them in a styro and pack around the bag(s) with newspaper or bubble wrap so that the bag moves as little as possible. Add heat packs in cold weather. Then I try to find a cardboard box that the styro will fit in snugly preferably one that has handles (this tends to help keep the box upright during shipping). Then over night it. There are lots of people who ship more than I do so hopefully they'll jump in here.

Hope that helps,
Josh

jeff@zina.com
01-11-2010, 12:00 PM
There are as many ways to ship as there are people shipping fish. Get a shipping box from your LFS, ask for the half or quarter size, it will be smaller than a foot-locker size they may usually receive. I buy most shipping supplies from Ken's Fish, but your LFS may give you the few you need to ship your one package.

I usually triple bag, 1/3 water, 2/3 oxygen (yes it's legal to ship) or I use a Kordon breather bag. Heat packs now are a must, 24 hour shipping may get delayed so I use 72 hour heat packs. I also wrap the bag in newspaper before putting it in the second bag, though discus aren't really known for puncturing bags. I don't ship when it will be below 20F at the destination or anywhere in between, but I know others ship at lower temps.

Good luck.

Jeff