PDA

View Full Version : The price for nice driftwood? tannins ..not good.

pinoysport
01-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Why does it have to be that way? I really love natural wood but i really dislike the tannis. I have day and I have hard month and i have heard it never goes away ..

i have tried several things.....

boiling.. for hours / days
soaking - for weeks

I guess its good for the discus but its not good on the eye IMHO only.

daboo
01-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Do you have any carbon filtration on your aquarium. After letting your wood soak for a week or two (before putting it in your aquarium) the leaching tannins will be low enough that the carbon will pull it out.

I find the softer wood tends to rot/decompose in water. I like mopani wood for its density (it sinks), it's looks, and its durability.

pinoysport
01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Do you have any carbon filtration on your aquarium. After letting your wood soak for a week or two (before putting it in your aquarium) the leaching tannins will be low enough that the carbon will pull it out.

I find the softer wood tends to rot/decompose in water. I like mopani wood for its density (it sinks), it's looks, and its durability.

Yes. I have carbon in my fluval 405..... i let the wood soak for a few weeks. I just put it in my tank last night. so if its bad again later this week i will soak it more.. the piecies are huge so its really hard to boil..

you can see my wood in my avatar...

zamboniMan
01-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Change the carbon out after a few days (do this twice) and then with any luck you won't have any more issues with the wood.

discussmith
01-10-2010, 03:31 PM
It really has everything to do with the type of wood. As was stated the lighter softer woods are the worst. There is nothing wrong with them. In fact it more closely matches the natural biotope, but if you can't stand the color then you have to get wood that weighs like a rock when dry.

mlw
01-10-2010, 03:51 PM
What worked for me used a 15 gallon Rubbermaid container with H.O.T. filter with hooked up. Alternated between media basket with straight carbon and micron cartridge. Did this for two weeks. When I put my driftwood in my tank there were not tannins. You could get a larger rubbermaid if it is a large piece of wood.

nikond70s
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
your lucky, i want the tanning. but can never keep it more than 3 days.

Nismo
01-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Thats the wood I have in my tank. Looks great and best of all its pretty cheap to buy. I boiled hot water and put in a container for a few days. Boiled water each of those days. I have a slight yellow tint to the water. I actually like the look of it.

tcmemphisbbq
01-11-2010, 09:06 PM
your lucky, i want the tanning. but can never keep it more than 3 days.

Same here, I like the color and the fish seem calm and relaxed when I had it going on...

Finatic
01-11-2010, 10:06 PM
I have Mopani in my tank, and yes the color of the water is a bit yellow, but I dont even notice it from viewing the front, only through the sides. I dont know if it calms my discus, since whenever I approach the tank, they swim a million miles per hour begging for food. They muct like the water though if they are that hungry.