PDA

View Full Version : Are these lovers or pecking

packerkid
01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Well I'v had discus for a while... (5 discus in a 85 gallon hex, normal water)...
All of hte discus are 4.5-5 inches
Anyways suddenly, 2 of the discus our acting weirdly, they are both on opposite side of tanks, cleaning off the tile... Then all of the sudden they start pecking like crazy... Then they go back pecking at that silly tile again and then occasionally they shake/shimmy by that tile... Is this pecking, or lovers going on here...

if it is breeding, the agresssor, is a blue/red snakeskin, and the other guy is a cobalt with a little red... So it wouldnt be a bad pair...

Thanks,
pac

Jhhnn
01-10-2010, 10:40 PM
If they're pecking, shaking and shimmying together, you probably have a pair. You'll know soon.

packerkid
01-17-2010, 09:09 PM
slight update, the 2 fish haven't "slept" with each other yet and breaded but theres signs... As with the other 3 discus in the tank, they're all happy.
I did another40% water change (bout 32 gallons out of 85 gallon tank)

my current issue is that the 2 "lovers" are in love with pecking. Literally they are fighting more then people in desperate house wives! Anyways, Currently they have decided to turn the "UV algae killer" into there cleaning spot (instead of the nice flower pots ).. They are still shimmying ext.. And when should I start worrying about pecking ? (I have a 15-20 gallon empty tank in garage)

Well any feed back would be wonderful :)

mmorris
01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, wait and see! As long as one isn't injured or unable to eat, I'd let them get on with it. You might want to find out if that spare tank is a 15 gallon or a 20 gallon. IMO a 20 gallon is too small for a breeding pair and fry but people do use it. Where are you going to raise the fry if some come along?

smallfin
01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
I love this forum, It always seems like someone else is going through the same things as I am. I have a pair in a small 18x18inc cube tank. They have had wrigglers before but not for me yet. They have been fighting too and I spent last night looking at youtube videos to try and determine what 'the moves' would look like. Mine are shimy shimy shaking but it looks more in a threatening way before they attack each other giving very violent kisses/pecks.
I don't know if this is a love hate relationship, maybe it's a good sign or maybe they are not getting on well together at the moment. The male seems to be keen and attemps to start cleaning but we all know if the Female is not on board then not a lot is going to happen.

I will be very keen to hear your results. Hopefully resulting in eggs

Cheers

packerkid
01-17-2010, 11:01 PM
they love cleaning =)
and they shimmy more then elvis but I agree they are kidna like saying, Im strong and good looking now lets peck kiss...

And for the general info..
sthey can both eat, one is showing signs of getting close to breaking skin,(could be just me), I think I could get a 40 gallon if I had to, cause its currently in use on other side of house, (mollys in the kids bedroom ;) ).. As for the young fry, if they come, the mollys will have to live with less tank space lol
rob

glad to see Im not the only one with young lovers that "hit" on each other

Jhhnn
01-18-2010, 01:40 PM
I can't speak with any authority, but some pairs seem to be better matched... people are like that too, judging from some of the couples I've known.

My own pair, still in a group tank, are pretty placid wrt each other. The pecking and chasing is really pretty mild. Other pairs can have, uhh, more difficult relationships, from what I've read, sometimes to the point where they need to be separated, even permanently. Discus seem to have their own fishy personalities, so just because they're opposite sex doesn't mean they'll get along...