PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Question..Empty Tank

poconoboss
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
So I have a bare bottom 20 gal long that I use for my breeding tank. It has a sponge filter as well as a hang on that is filled with bio media.

Tank has been cycled long ago and running for quite some time.

I removed the fish from the tank and did a water 75% water change. If I do not put fish back in here any time soon, how long before the cycle would break? I assume with no ammonia as food the beneficial bacteria would dye off, correct?

Should I not do water changes while there is no fish in there? I plan on not having any fish in there for a month or so. Should I grab some cheap fish at the LFS to drop in there so as to not have the cycle break?

Thanks.

Eddie
01-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Just add pure ammonia every few days to keep it alive, or you could just take a nice big leak in the tank once a week. :o

poconoboss
01-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I'd like to see the look on my wife's face while I am draining the vein in the fish tank....Uh...Honey...what are doing? :confused:

:D

I'm always nervous about using chemical ammonia...maybe I'll stick some of my rainbows in there for a while, I'll tell them it's their winter vacation from the Discus...lol

Don Trinko
01-11-2010, 10:39 AM
To be more specific I add 1/2 teaspoon of ammonia 3 times a week to keep a 20 cycled. As with fish the nitrates will eventualy build up so before I add fish I test for Ammonia and nitrates. The ammonia is ussed in a day or 2 but it's I good idea to test before adding fish. Don T.

Eddie
01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
To be more specific I add 1/2 teaspoon of ammonia 3 times a week to keep a 20 cycled. As with fish the nitrates will eventualy build up so before I add fish I test for Ammonia and nitrates. The ammonia is ussed in a day or 2 but it's I good idea to test before adding fish. Don T.

Good call Don, the pi$$ing tactic would have been pretty good though. LOL A little youtube video of how a guy keeps his filters cycled. Dude standing on ladder, let'n it all out into the tank. LOL

Don Trinko
01-12-2010, 12:45 PM
LOL! Not in my tanks! don't forget that you put your hands in there to clean and.... once in a while I get a little water in my mouth when starting the syphon!!! Don T.

Eddie
01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
LOL! Not in my tanks! don't forget that you put your hands in there to clean and.... once in a while I get a little water in my mouth when starting the syphon!!! Don T.

ROTFLMAO !!!!!

Elite Aquaria
01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I agree with Don...Use pure Ammonia to keep your tank cycled. Do not add fish from your local Pet Shop...they could introduce bacterias or a virus that you will have to deal with down the road. Make sure that your ammonia does not have surfactants (soaps) in it...the ammonia from ACE Hardware is what I use...

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv10/eliteaquaria/m_002-3.jpg

underwaterforest
01-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Usually the Ace brand products are so full of fillers that I avoid them, good to hear they actually have something that is pure. I might have to pick some up later today.

poconoboss
01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info everybody!

Elite Aquaria
01-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Usually the Ace brand products are so full of fillers that I avoid them, good to hear they actually have something that is pure. I might have to pick some up later today.

Yea..this one is pure

Thanks for the info everybody!

Any time

bs6749
01-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Don't want to buy ammonia? No problem! Add some fish food! No fish to eat it means that it will decay into.... AMMONIA! Then when you are ready to put the fish into the tank do a large water change and vac up the uneaten food and test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Get the levels to a reasonable range and add Prime every day to lock up the ammonia until the bacteria can process it all. Can even add some aquarium salt to reduce nitrite toxicity if you so choose. The best part is that you already have the food. Add some every 3-4 days and do a 5-10g water change too.

Elite Aquaria
01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
The only problem with this approach is that when the food decays you can also get some unwanted bacteria...

underwaterforest
01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
I been trying the food method for cycling but after a day you can see a nice white layer (Bact/water mold?) growing on the food. I'm sure it is probably just doing it job breaking down the food to ammonia, but I like the direct chemical approach. It just seems cleaner. Plus I live in the redwoods and we have way too many molds present already.

bs6749
01-13-2010, 09:46 PM
This may be true, but those types of bacteria would already be in the tank and their population will sharply decline due to competition for resources. They too will decay into ammonia, among other things.

fishorama
01-15-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks for an actual quantity, beats having to do math each time:o.
I've done the food thing as well for a couple weeks but ammonia is a lot cheaper

seanyuki
01-15-2010, 11:05 AM
You can have the tank running and put in discus and try to feed slowly for the first 2 weeks ...gradually reaching to normal feeding rate or the rate you prefer. By then, the biological filtration will be establishes and working effectively bi itself.......plus massive water changes daily.....just my 2 cents.

April
01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
theres a whole thread in here about using miracle grow fertilizer..cuts the time in half. 18 days. youd have to look through the search function for it. or..get a sponge from the seller..then your set.