PDA

View Full Version : Post your before and after pics, Gravel/Sand

poconoboss
01-11-2010, 02:05 PM
I am interested to see pictures of people's fish before and after changing their tanks to white sand.

If you had a tank with gravel or dark sand and then switched to white sand, I woud be very interested in seeing pics of the fish and how they may have changed their colors.

Thanks!

Fraise
01-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Before with Red Sea plant substrate
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac182/fraisebc/DSC_0341.jpg

Now with white sand
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac182/fraisebc/DSC_0210.jpg

philip69285
01-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow thats a big difference. How did you change the gtravel to sand with plants in the tank? Did you keep the fish in there when you did it? I have been thinking of doing it myself but Im scared I will end up destroying all the beneficial bacteria and then killing all my fish LOL. Let me know how you did it and I might try it one day. I would like my fish to lighten up a little bit.

Wahter
01-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Actually, you can get similar results when you put the plants in pots, remove the gravel, and stick a piece of white styrofoam under the tank. :) (I've done that).

Walter

William Palumbo
01-12-2010, 12:23 AM
I am not sure why people are always trying to wash out the color of their Discus. PB's I can see, but not others. The colors in that before pic look MUCH better than the second washed out pic...Bill

Fraise
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Philip, i was fortunate that i was switching my tanks when i made the change. i used to have my turtle in a 120g and my discus in a 65g so i jsut put the turtle in the sink for a few days while i drained, cleaned and disinfected the 120. i've never tried switching the substrate with any fish in the tank so i can't help on that issue. i believe the topic has been covered previously though but i can't remember where.

Fraise
01-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I am not sure why people are always trying to wash out the color of their Discus. PB's I can see, but not others. The colors in that before pic look MUCH better than the second washed out pic...Bill

when i made the switch it was not to "wash out" the colours. i switched to sand becuase i like how it looks and i feel it will be easier to keep the tank clean. I also took that pic shortly after setting up the tank. i will try taking another pic now that the carpeting plant has started to spread out which has also darkened the fish up again (not to the extent of the first pic though)

poconoboss
01-12-2010, 12:42 AM

Well, certain fish darken to the point where they are no longer a desirable color.

My Blue Diamonds become much darker after going into a tank with dark substrate and background. He no longer had that nice light blue color. The same with my Cobalt.