PDA

View Full Version : Naive question re CO2

DocB
01-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Man this CO2 stuff is hard.
Most of the setups on line look very cheap toylike.
I try to get a good setup so I go to the local welding supply.
I am stumped at the first question:
Do you want CO2 gas or CO2 liquid siphon (like a paintball)?:confused:
I think gas but I see paintball size setup. So I say I'll be right back.

Also from my research a Victor regulator VTS253a is the one to get.
The LWS doesnt carry them (They carry uniweld) and they are not even shown at victor.com.
Most of the local welding regs look like overkill for swimming pools and such.

Piecing this setup together would yield a better product but some of the forums go one for pages about the value of a particular brass barbed fitting. Some people are into this a little to much.;)

If I buy something like this:

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-regulators/supreme-co2-regulator.html

It has a good regulator and great needle valve. If I buy the tank, which is cheaper than local, I will be assured that everything works with each other, But then I would not want to give up the new tank as the local store just trades tanks.

that looks ALOT better than:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9935&pcatid=9935

which does not mention what type of needle valve but appears to have one in the pic.

Larry Bugg
01-11-2010, 05:26 PM
You really can't go wrong with Orlando's systems at Green Leaf. He is a hobbist that turned putting together regulators for other hobbiest into a business. His service is excellent and the systems are top notch.

If I'm not mistaken the Victor 253A is no longer made. Most of us got ours off Ebay. I paid about $50 for mine a little over a year ago and then bought the needle valve and solenoid to complete it.

yikesjason
01-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Some people are into this a little to much.;)

You discus people think we planted people are crazy. But we planted people know that you discus people are crazier;)

But then I am a planted person who is now going to add discus, so what does that make me?

Orlando's setup is really good. It is the easiest way to get into co2. You can do some research and build your own and save some money, but not a whole lot of money.

craigslist can be a great source for co2 tanks.

DocB
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
You discus people think we planted people are crazy. But we planted people know that you discus people are crazier;)

But then I am a planted person who is now going to add discus, so what does that make me?

Orlando's setup is really good. It is the easiest way to get into co2. You can do some research and build your own and save some money, but not a whole lot of money.

Yeah some of these tank rooms with 100% water changes and homemade recipes for fish food and microscopes to examine feces and Special UV sterilizer, RO systems special high end super duper equipment. But then every hobby as people to push the envelope I guess. But way back down safely inside the envelope I am attempting to get a good quality setup but guess I have to give up on finding these nice $50 victor regs and pay Greenleaf $$$ just to get this going. I will be getting his best setup because
I am one to push the envelope when it comes to buying quality tools, just ask my wife. Thank God she understands the value of a quality tool sometimes involves $$$

Larry Bugg
01-12-2010, 09:43 AM
You get what you pay for!!

DocB
01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=DocB;604629]

I am stumped at the first question:
Do you want CO2 gas or CO2 liquid siphon (like a paintball)?:confused:
I think gas but I see paintball size setup. So I say I'll be right back.

The question remains- liquid siphon or gas?

geccles
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
You want gas - you don't want to send liquid CO2 into your tank.

All CO2 tanks have liquid CO2 in the bottom and gas phase CO2 in the headspace. The siphon tube (or dip tube) runs the from the valve to the bottom of the cylinder to pull the liquid out. Your standard valve does not have this tube and will only allow the gas phase to exit the cylinder (unless it is inverted).

DocB
01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Thats what I figured. So the little paintball CO2 cartridges sold in gas supply houses are different than the little CO2 cartridges that come with the smaller aquarium setups?
I am told the supply house ones are "liquid siphon"

zamboniMan
01-12-2010, 06:35 PM

Planted tank people are more crazy than discus people and I'm a plant person too! :-p

You can use either. The co2 won't go into your tank as a liquid. It will gasify (boiling point of CO2 is -57 degrees Celsius.) as soon as it comes out of the tank (the only reason its liquid in the tank is because of extremely high pressure which won't be maintained in your system)

exv152
01-12-2010, 09:48 PM
...guess I have to give up on finding these nice $50 victor regs and pay Greenleaf $$$ just to get this going. I will be getting his best setup because.

Good call! CO2 can be tricky, but your best bet is to let an expert setup a system for you and pay what it's worth, trust me it'll save you a lot of headaches and money.

underwaterforest
01-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I think I payed 50 or 60 bucks on sale for my current regulator w/selenoid from Dr fosters/smith. I was using my beer co2 regulator, but its intended purpose became more important than the plants. mmmm BEER. I found Co2 pretty easy to deal with, just run co2 during the day (1-3 bubbles per sec) and an airstone at night (helps eliminate the night spikes). It sure makes the plants grow fast.

DocB
01-13-2010, 02:29 PM
So I got one vote for gas and one vote for liquid siphon co2.

I think I will pass on these $50 regulators. (A good inexpensive dual stage regulator or a Victor 253a no longer seem to exist or perhaps they were just an urban myth)

It seems to me the crucial part is the needle valve so I would not be continually adjusting a loose valve. And ideal appears to be the best in my research.

underwaterforest
01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
The cheap needle valve on my azoo(?) regulator seems to work just fine for me. I've looked many times over the months and the bps doesn't really change much even with lower tank pressure. I'd say you can probably get away with a cheaper needle valve if you check your frequently like me, but if you are a set it and forget it type of person, get a good one.

Alex