PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Question

neon
01-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I have a 55gal tank and was told that I need to get the temperature up to 86. So I have 200watt heater and set two 86 but it did not go up to 86 but staying 84. So I went out and bought another heater which is a 100watt. And still at 84. I have no discus yet but 22neon tetras. Any help please would be great.:confused:

mmorris
01-11-2010, 11:24 PM
I have a 55gal tank and was told that I need to get the temperature up to 86. So I have 200watt heater and set two 86 but it did not go up to 86 but staying 84. So I went out and bought another heater which is a 100watt. And still at 84. I have no discus yet but 22neon tetras. Any help please would be great.:confused:

Turn them up a little bit. Very little. If they are already turned on full, the heaters are defective.

philip69285
01-11-2010, 11:25 PM
A temp of 84 is fine so I would use the extra heater as a backup heater. My tank is set to 82... it goes upto 83 and 84 but normally hangs around 83.5 :). So I really wouldnt worry about it. Just my .02 cents

mmorris
01-11-2010, 11:27 PM
I assume you have juvies? If so, I recommend temperatures of around 85-6. We can estimate a tank's wattage requirements by multiplying by 5. So, a 55 gallon tank would want heater wattage between 250-300.

zamboniMan
01-12-2010, 06:27 PM
What brand are your heaters? Some of them need to be calibrated when you first get them.

Josh

Jhhnn
01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
What brand are your heaters? Some of them need to be calibrated when you first get them.

Josh

True. Definitely so for Eheim Jagers, what I use.

What's equally important is the thermometer, the usual aquarium models being notorious junque.

I really like the ATI high range stick on LCD thermos from Kensfish or Jehmco.

Good stuff, honest.

The usual recommendation for aquarium heaters is 3-5 watts/gallon, so a 200W unit should suffice for a 55gal tank in most situations. Heaters, in general, are the least reliable pieces of equipment aquarists use... imho, of course.

zamboniMan
01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
True. Definitely so for Eheim Jagers, what I use.

What's equally important is the thermometer, the usual aquarium models being notorious junque.

I really like the ATI high range stick on LCD thermos from Kensfish or Jehmco.

Good stuff, honest.

The usual recommendation for aquarium heaters is 3-5 watts/gallon, so a 200W unit should suffice for a 55gal tank in most situations. Heaters, in general, are the least reliable pieces of equipment aquarists use... imho, of course.

I like the glass ones. They're almost (nothings perfect) always spot on.

discus bob
01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
I've found that to keep a tank at the higher temps required for Discus means buying a good quality heater sized a little on the high side. I never go under, as it seems to burn the heater up very quickly... I've been through my share! For my 55s I use 300 watts.
Bob

underwaterforest
01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Maybe I have to try the Eheim Jagers. Seems like everybody here loves them. I have marineland stealth heaters on all my tanks and the calibration is way out of wack on all of them. My 55 gallon it set to 73 and holds at a constant 80 degrees. I also had 4 of the stealth go bad on me, 3 didn't kick on and one heated the aquarium to nearly 95+ degrees (all the fish made it). I called the company on it since they had lifetime warranties and they sent me out 3 new heaters (new design- digital tech) without sending the old one in:). So in summary I don't like the old stealth heaters but their customer service is amazing.

zamboniMan
01-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Maybe I have to try the Eheim Jagers. Seems like everybody here loves them. I have marineland stealth heaters on all my tanks and the calibration is way out of wack on all of them. My 55 gallon it set to 73 and holds at a constant 80 degrees. I also had 4 of the stealth go bad on me, 3 didn't kick on and one heated the aquarium to nearly 95+ degrees (all the fish made it). I called the company on it since they had lifetime warranties and they sent me out 3 new heaters (new design- digital tech) without sending the old one in:). So in summary I don't like the old stealth heaters but their customer service is amazing.

They don't have any way for you to calibrate them? Try the new ones and keep us posted.

roundfishross
01-12-2010, 11:57 PM
recently(2 mos) bought a dozen stealth pro heaters from drs f & s . two 300's and a 150 have already burnt up and the max temp is only 86, the old stealth heaters were good never had one to burn up. i like the new design with the epoxy fill, this is efficient , but they seem to be made poorly. real hard to beat the 10$ via aqua heaters now available though:D

underwaterforest
01-13-2010, 12:15 AM
roundfishross, Did the stealths you bought have the LED light on them? Supposedly they are the new digital design ones. Sorry to hear that you had problems also. I never had a heater problem all the years I used the cheapo non submersible glass heaters, I guess times change.

neon
01-13-2010, 01:15 AM
One is a stealth and the other whisper aqua

darbex
01-13-2010, 01:26 AM
I have to say my Hydor inline is the best heater I have had

Eddie
01-13-2010, 05:40 AM
One is a stealth and the other whisper aqua

Pick up a 200 or 250 watt jager. It will work wonders!

Eddie

Greenheinie
01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I tried a Jager and the calibration knob wouldn't come out (without extreme force to the point that my fingernail bled), so I exchanged it for a second one. In the beginning the calibration knob came out fine. After two months, I tried calibrating and of course, the knob doesn't want to come out.

The heater itself works fine and keeps temps constant. I just wish I could get my hands on a 100% functional unit.

pcsb23
01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
I have a number of heaters, some havebeen ok, some junk. All critical tanks (except breeders) have two heaters on external controllers. My system uses titanium heaters, again on a seperate external controller.

zamboniMan
01-13-2010, 07:37 PM
I have to say my Hydor inline is the best heater I have had

Be carefull these are known to get stuck on.