PDA

View Full Version : Water Testing Equipment Question

Merlin1066
01-12-2010, 12:26 AM
What is best: Strips, Liquids, electronics?
I have used Liquids in the past and know they work fairly well, I have never used strips or electronic testers. Which of the 3 are most consistant and accurate?

Thanks!

Eddie
01-12-2010, 12:47 AM
I prefer liquids but the electronic can be very precise/accurate if calibrated from time to time. I find the liquid agents to be very easy and a better gauge than the color strips.

All the best,

Eddie

Don Trinko
01-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Liquids or electronics. Test strips are normaly not very accurate.
PH,GH,KH,Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates. Don T.

exv152
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I prefer liquid tests, they're cheaper than strips, don't need calibration like electronics and are very reliable.

Elite Aquaria
01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I only use Milwaukee Meters...

Jhhnn
01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Liquid for me. Except for TDS, which requires an inexpensive electronic meter.

The Seachem ammonia test kit is the only one I know of that can tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium, and really the only one to use with prime, amquel+ or other premium water conditioners. Sticky threads in the water works section...

I have trouble discerning the color shade with Seachem's nitrite test kit, but do better with the API model... Men often aren't as good at color discernment as women...

I think the test strips are probably OK for ballpark reference, to see if anything's changed. for somebody who uses 'em regularly, knows what their water usually looks like on the test strip, they're quick and easy. I wouldn't rate them as really accurate, however.

zamboniMan
01-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I use the strips because I'm partially color blind and have problems with distinguishing some of the fainter shades that liquid test kits often use. The strips tend to be a little darker.

Josh

underwaterforest
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
zamboniMan, I really like the mid line oakton pH meters they seem to be bomb proof and pretty accurate. I got suckered into buying the new high tech shindengen isFet (Ionic field sensing) pH meter and it didn't work worth a s__t, plus it cost me nearly 200 bucks. I have pretty good color vision, I've had lots of chemistry titrations to prove it. But my girlfriend doesn't have very good color vision and ever time I have her read the pH she reads it way off where it should be.

Merlin1066
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Are there electronic testers for nitrate? Funny you should mention the way that men and women see color. My wife is an artist and a vet, when she has a color question she always asks me. Anyway. I think I'll go with both using liquids as a back up. I just want to be as accurate as I possibly can. Thanks again for the help!

zamboniMan
01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
zamboniMan, I really like the mid line oakton pH meters they seem to be bomb proof and pretty accurate. I got suckered into buying the new high tech shindengen isFet (Ionic field sensing) pH meter and it didn't work worth a s__t, plus it cost me nearly 200 bucks. I have pretty good color vision, I've had lots of chemistry titrations to prove it. But my girlfriend doesn't have very good color vision and ever time I have her read the pH she reads it way off where it should be.

Well most titrations have some kind of big color change. (Orange to clear, pink to blue, etc). Most of my problems are with like the really light shades of the same color or really dark shades of dark colors (light green, really light yellow, or navy blue and purple).

There are digital meters out there for just about anything you want to test for it's just a question of time to maintain them (calibration, etc) and cost. I don't have any because I'd rather spend my money ON DISCUS!!! :-p

Elite Aquaria
01-12-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't think so...But you would not need one for that...The main things to test for are PH and TDS as far as electronic meters go...then stick with a good liquid test kit for an occasional test of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

akumastew
01-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Are there electronic testers for nitrate? Funny you should mention the way that men and women see color. My wife is an artist and a vet, when she has a color question she always asks me. Anyway. I think I'll go with both using liquids as a back up. I just want to be as accurate as I possibly can. Thanks again for the help!

Hi Merlin

You can get an electronic test kit for Nitrates. ~$230.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16751

Scribbles
01-13-2010, 12:34 AM
I use the strips because I'm partially color blind and have problems with distinguishing some of the fainter shades that liquid test kits often use.

I have the same problem which is why I only test when someone else is home to play "pick a color". LOL. I use API liquid test kits.

Chris

zamboniMan
01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I have the same problem which is why I only test when someone else is home to play "pick a color". LOL. I use API liquid test kits.

Chris

Kind of a pain. I don't test alot of water at home as I did to much of that working a power plant as a co op student. Drove me nuts doing nothing but water tests :-p