PDA

View Full Version : Question on filling tanks?

luckyfind
01-12-2010, 06:58 AM
I have seen the set ups for filling tanks with pvc pipe over the side of tanks.

My question is can a bottom drilled tank be set up for filling?
I have a chance of getting 6 tanks that are drilled on the bottom,4 50 gal 41lx18wx16 h and 2 24 gal. 21 l x18w x 16h. These I think would make a good growout and breeding tank. They would also fit on one wall in my room.
Has anyone used a bottom drilled tank for this and how was it set up,any pics? The drilled hole is 1in. about 2.5 in from back and side glass.
I just want a faster way to fil tanks rather than with hoses all over the floor.
Laurence

seanyuki
01-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi laurence.....some tank is tampered glass in the the bottom and not recommended for drilling a hole.

David Rose
01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
I've seen it down externally, so I don't see why you could use bulkheads and PVC pipe using the hole already in these tanks. You would just need a ball valve or shut off valve of some sort as well, which could be located below the tank or at the top end.

luckyfind
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi Francis, The tanks are already drilled with a 1 in hole and would like to know what needed besides a bulkhead fitting?

Hi David, Being the tanks are drilled in opposite corners I could have them set up to be on the front or back side of the stand. I can put them so the hole is side by side to the front I guess. It would be nice to use this as a drain but I have a irregular shaped room and the drain is on the opposite side of the room,so out of the question unless I ran a drain pipe through the middle of the room,not good.
So after a little thought I would need the bulkhead and put an elbow on the inside to deflect the water to the side of the tank? On the outside plumb it to come out to the stand frame and add a gate valve and then to my water source?
Any one with pics are has done this type of set up before would be a great help. When it comes to plumbing and the right parts I am a complet newbie.
If anyone has any reasons what not to do please let me know. Thanks
Laurence

jeff@zina.com
01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Traditionally, the holes would be used for draining, or as in/out to a canister filter, but there's no reason you can't use one as a drain and the other as a fill. You would need a bulkhead for both, and one would need a standpipe (pipe from the bulkhead going up) at a length so the top was at the maximum water level you wanted. That would be an overflow. On the other (fill) end I would bring the pipe up above the tank rim and use elbows to point it back down, ending above water level. That way you'll never get a siphon action from that side.

Given that, you wouldn't even need any valves. Turn on the water coming in (Pump, water pressure, whatever) and new water comes in, old water overflows out. You will still need to siphon the bottom of course, but you can always refill to the same level.

I'd use them differently than you, but that's another thread. :)

Jeff

luckyfind
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi Jeff,
I reread my post and made it sound like I have 2 holes per tank,my bad. I only have 1 per tank drilled on opposite sides of the tank for each pair. Thus I could put opposites together and have the holes closer together
|___._| |_.___| So if I get this right and I wanted a 75% drain from a 16in deep tank I would put a 4in. pipe on the bulkhead? If I use it as a fill I make a J pipe higher than the tank top to the height I want the water level?
Anyone know how much drop in a sewer pipe you need for a good flow. That would determine if I could use the drilled hole for a drain for my bottom tanks on the rack. I would like to go 3 tanks high but the clearance on the bottom rack needs to be high enough to run about 20 ft of drain pipe to the floor drain in another room. Thanks for your time everyone.
Laurence

jeff@zina.com
01-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Anyone know how much drop in a sewer pipe you need for a good flow.

1/4 inch per foot. 20 feet would be a five inch drop.

With one hole per tank, I'd use it as a drain. In an 18" deep tank you could use two pipe sections, one 4" and one 14", with a threaded connection between. Unscrew the top section and it'll drain 75%, screw it back in and it's an overflow for filling.

Run through the Fishroom forum and Google/Bing for lots of diagrams and pictures of similar systems.

Jeff

luckyfind
01-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the info.I havde been going through the forum files,there is so many it will take awhile. Wh is it that the return water has to come from the top of the tank,airation? I have a better idea now what to do and will visit the plumbing stores to see what parts are available. Thanks for your time.
Laurence

jeff@zina.com
01-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Wh[y] is it that the return water has to come from the top of the tank...?

It doesn't. It's just a convenient way to guarantee a specific water level as a maximum. I fill tanks from a reservoir tank using a pump, it can run forever and never overflow the tank and the tank is always at the correct fill level, using an overflow. It also skims anything off the surface, including duckweed and fry. Use a strainer if you want to keep them. :)

Jeff