PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone use to prune plants.

JRunyon21
01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
It does not seem to me like I should have my hands/arms in the tank too often. So I was wondering what people use to prune their plants without gettin armpit deep in water. To trim high bushes outside there are large pruning tools so I figured their might be something that some people use in their aquariums. Or does everyone just deal with it and get wet?

It is a little of base but thought it might be something interesting to discuss.

Larry Bugg
01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
You can buy all different size pruning tools but for me it is a cheap pair of stainless scissors from the drug store and in the hand and arm go. I just keep a old small towell draped over my shoulder so when I pull my arm completely out I can dry it.

For planting I use these.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/10_Hemostat_set_p/tools003.htm
Bought mine off Ebay before AP.com started selling them but the price was about the same. But this still means the hand and arm go in the tank.

Harriett
01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
You can buy cheap Fiskars or stainless steel scissors at the fabric store that have a spring in them--the blade is about 3" long or so and opens when no pressure is on it--so you only squeeze them when you want to cut. They work great and because they are smaller, easy to manipulate in a forest of greens in there.
THat's all I use, and keep an old hand towel nearby and an old bathroom rug/mat under the area I am working on for my inevitable dribbles.
Best regards,
Harriett

zamboniMan
01-12-2010, 06:38 PM
You can buy all different size pruning tools but for me it is a cheap pair of stainless scissors from the drug store and in the hand and arm go. I just keep a old small towell draped over my shoulder so when I pull my arm completely out I can dry it.

For planting I use these.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/10_Hemostat_set_p/tools003.htm
Bought mine off Ebay before AP.com started selling them but the price was about the same. But this still means the hand and arm go in the tank.

Same and then to plant I just use my hand or forceps out of the following kit:
http://www.indigo.com/tools/gphtools/professional-biology-tool-set.html

chachi
01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
You can buy cheap Fiskars or stainless steel scissors at the fabric store that have a spring in them--the blade is about 3" long or so and opens when no pressure is on it--so you only squeeze them when you want to cut. They work great and because they are smaller, easy to manipulate in a forest of greens in there.
THat's all I use, and keep an old hand towel nearby and an old bathroom rug/mat under the area I am working on for my inevitable dribbles.
Best regards,
Harriett

+1 i use a spring loaded one also.

i do half a tank at a time so while i'm busy on one side the fish have a place to go hide. then the next w/c ill do the other.

chachi

underwaterforest
01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I bought this nice Japanese 24" long tweezers that came with a scissor attachment. I really like it for those days I can't put my hands in the tank (e.g working on the car when my hands are oily). I probally use the tweezers more than the scissor attachment but it's a nice combo.

zamboniMan
01-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I really like it for those days I can't put my hands in the tank (e.g working on the car when my hands are oily).

lol I don't even go near my tanks after I've been working on the car or anything remotely oily/greasy.

underwaterforest
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I meant to say after the oil is still stuck on my hands after washing them 4 or five times. That residue oil just doesn't come off, that whats nice about the tweezers I never have to even touch the water. If I didn't touch my aquariums after my other hobbies e.g. automobiles I probably would only have dead fish and dead plants. A little 10w30 good for the fish right?:)

zamboniMan
01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
A little 10w30 good for the fish right?:)

i'm sure it's great in the ol' beefheart recipe ;)

I always do tank maintenance/feed first then work on other stuff just to avoid the risk.

poconoboss
01-13-2010, 12:56 AM
I use the Marina Multi tool, it has a pruner tip and a grabber tip, it's about 27" long, works great!

http://aquatic-store.co.uk/product_image/image/937/image/hagen_multitool.jpg

underwaterforest
01-13-2010, 12:51 PM
That tool is pretty cool poconoboss (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/member.php?u=19310), almost looks like those grabbers you use for trash pickup. How is it for inserting plants into the media, work well?

poconoboss
01-13-2010, 02:03 PM
It works very well!

The T handle goes in the palm of your hand and with your first two fingers you pull the lever toward you which makes the pincher close, when you let go it opens. I put the base of a plant in the middle of the pincher and close down, push it into the substrate and the let go and voila! Plant is planted.

Could not be easier!

exv152
01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
It does not seem to me like I should have my hands/arms in the tank too often. So I was wondering what people use to prune their plants without gettin armpit deep in water. To trim high bushes outside there are large pruning tools so I figured their might be something that some people use in their aquariums. Or does everyone just deal with it and get wet?

I usually wait until I do a water change, and when the water level is reduced to its lowest level I prune the plants before refilling the tank. This way I can just use regular scissors (which I set aside just for this purpose) and makes it easier to clean the plant debris that comes from pruning.