PDA

View Full Version : Need egg advice

golden29
01-13-2010, 02:05 AM
My discus have just laid their 10th batch of eggs and need some help from you all. After they lay the eggs should I just let nature take its course or should I add something to prevent fungus? The only thing I have for this is methylene blue. I have not used this for eggs before but I heard if your careful it can work. I live way out in the sticks so it will be a little hard to get anything else right now. The first seven batches they ate the eggs but the last 3 they guarded and fanned them for 3 days then ate them. I think the temp may have been to high then so now I have it set at 82 degrees.
And just in case anyone wants to ask the obvious here is my answer.
My water quality is excellent and my ph is around 6.5.
Any details you could give me on caring for them the first day would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Elite Aquaria
01-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Once you have eggs you should leave a night light on 24/7. Also I like to cut back on the feedings. I switch the pairs diet to Frozen blood worms exclusively to try to maintain water quality. I do not add any type of medication.

How old is your pair?

golden29
01-13-2010, 02:17 AM
My pair is about 15 months old. So should I keep the temp right at 82? Also I do not have a sponge filter cycled yet. I only have an aqua clear which has way to much suction for fry and an internal power filter. So could I get away with an airstone and daily water changes until the sponge filter catches up or should I strap the foam from my aqua clear onto the sponge filter and go from there?
Thanks a bunch

Elite Aquaria
01-13-2010, 02:21 AM
With that much water flow I am sure that the current prevented the eggs from becoming fertilized. You need to get a sponge...Once you get your sponge leave both filters going for about 2 weeks. By this time your sponge should be seeded.

golden29
01-13-2010, 02:44 AM
I actually caught them before the act and so I removed the filter about an hour before so the water was pretty still when they were fertilizing it. I have the filter running in a seperate tank of tank water to keep it alive. So I guess I could put it back in until just before they hatch.

Elite Aquaria
01-13-2010, 08:20 AM
You should put it back in if not your ammonia will begin to spike and baby discus can not take any level of ammonia.

golden29
01-16-2010, 03:27 AM
I actually came up with a pretty clever idea that worked. I took the aqua clear intake tube and attatched it to the top of the sponge filter and then turned down the flow rate. It actually is working pretty effectively. I'll have to post some pics of my ghetto setup when I get a chance.
But even more importantly the eggs hatched out today. There are over 50 of them. Now I just have to wait for them to get to the free swimming stage.

Elite Aquaria
01-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Great news...I normally like to start to feed less at this stage to prepare to lower the tank water and I even turn off all filtration the day that the fry go free swimming. However, you need to be doing 50% daily water changes and cut off all feeding the day before and day that the fry go free swimming if you want to try this approach. This helps them attach.

golden29
01-16-2010, 03:46 AM
I did a 50% water change yesterday. They just hatched out this morning. So should I do another one tonight? Or should I wait till they start free swimming? Will turning off the filter for the day hurt the filter?
Thanks a lot for the help

Elite Aquaria
01-16-2010, 03:47 AM
You will need to do daily water changes from now on. Make sure your PH and water temp matches from here on out. Subtle changes in PH and temp can have a huge impact on fry. Yes it could hurt the filter. I put mine into another tank for the day.

golden29
01-16-2010, 03:51 AM
If they hatched today. How long till they become free swimming? Also they are not able to keep all the fry on the cone. Have you noticed a difference in the survival rate when they are on the bottom or does it really matter?

Elite Aquaria
01-16-2010, 04:01 AM
Experienced pairs will go down pick up the fry and spit them back with the rest. Why are they not able to keep all of them on the cone? It should take about 60-72 more hours depending on your water temp.

golden29
01-16-2010, 04:09 AM
Well first off it is not your normail breeding cone. It is just a piece of plastic set up as a make shift spawning sight. So it could be that the material isn't very good. They have been working non stop to keep them on it. But this is their first time at it so that could be the problem. I will make sure to do another water change first thing in the morning like you said and then I will begin to plan for the free swimming stage. Thanks alot Dan for sacrificing your time to answer some questions. I very much appreciate it.

Elite Aquaria
01-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Anytime...if you need more detailed info call me during the day tomorrow...Just make sure it is during half time of the games....;)

mmorris
01-16-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm glad to hear you have fry! Best of luck, and keep us up to date. :)

roclement
01-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Hey Dan, nice set of advice there! I will follow!
Golden, good luck with the batch!

Rodrigo

ashaysathe
01-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Indeed Dan - very miticulous. Super job explaining.

Elite Aquaria
01-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Thank you I am glad that it has help out someone...Now if this info help you please donate some $$ to Simply...;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76618