PDA

View Full Version : Purigen, Nitrates and Plants

scuba guy
01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Is Purigen bad for plants ? Purigen sops up Nitrates (so I read) and wonder if it is bad for a planted Discus aquarium?

darbex
01-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I wouldnt imagine it being bad it just defeats the purpose since your plants use the nitrates as well. If you have high nitrates that your plants cant do with then it might be beneficial

exv152
01-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Is Purigen bad for plants ? Purigen sops up Nitrates (so I read) and wonder if it is bad for a planted Discus aquarium?

If Purigen removes nitrates much like activated carbon removes odours etc, then I would say not to use it in a planted tank as it most likely removes other wanted trace elements necessary for healthy plant growth. In planted tanks I tend to stick to not using too many products, other than fertilizers, and besides the easiest way to control nitrates is cheaper - lots of WCs.

darbex
01-13-2010, 04:30 PM
I have Purigen and its like magic beans and its rechargeable but I agree

David Rose
01-13-2010, 04:37 PM
If you use the search function, you will numerous discussion on this topic.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=75914

scuba guy
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
I am using Purigen to keep a check on the tea color from all of the Malaysian wood I have in the aquarium - but I also want to grow plants.

Over time the wood will stabilize and the tea color will lessen - and then I can remove the purigen.

Depending on what folks in this forum said - I would remove it now and put up with the tea color (water changes help - but 500 gallons is a lot of tea).

My nitrate level in the aquarium is less than 5 ppm.

David Rose
01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Folks use Purigen with planted tanks without ill effects to their plants.

Sharkbait
01-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Folks use Purigen with planted tanks without ill effects to their plants.

I second David.

I had the same questions as you in regards to purigen. Once I put it in my tank, my water got clearer immediately - helps a lot with wood, but in planted tanks there will always be some particles floating around.

I have not had to change my dosing schedule because of it, and plants aren't suffering.

It's rechargeable, and far better than carbon.

Go for it.

exv152
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
My nitrate level in the aquarium is less than 5 ppm.

Low as well as high nitrate readings can cause algal blooms. I'd keep the NO3 between 10-20 ppm.

scuba guy
01-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Low as well as high nitrate readings can cause algal blooms. I'd keep the NO3 between 10-20 ppm.

This is a relatively new and large aquarium - so Nitrate will take some time to rise. Water changes will slow that down - but it's good to know what number to shoot for.

exv152
01-15-2010, 03:55 PM
This is a relatively new and large aquarium - so Nitrate will take some time to rise. Water changes will slow that down - but it's good to know what number to shoot for.

Purigen is a good thing if you're having issues with reducing high nitrates even after water changes, which can happen from time to time in older and bigger setups. Another way to control the nitrates is to go right to the source; by reducing the number of fish in a tank, or alterntively, increasing the plant matter.

scuba guy
01-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Right now my Nitrate level is 5ppm in my new 500 gallon Discus aquarium. I am having issues with "green/brown" single cell algae and am contemplating adding a UV system.

I do have some plants in the tank, but they are not growing. They are not dying either - just staying the same (Amazon sword, java fern, anubias).

Base on what I read here - once my nitrate gets to 15 or so ppm, I should expect better plant growth and less floating algae. I'm not sure why that is the case - I just assumed that Nitrate was fertilizer for all plants - but perhaps the added Nitrate accelerates broad leaf plants to take up other nutrients needed by the one celled algae (just a hunch).

Everything in a 500 gallon set up is slow motion (except the fish). It takes time for anything to build up - it takes time to reduce built-up levels (and massive water changes).

p.s. My Angelfish aquarium (75 gallon) is 10 years old. Nitrates are around 20 ppm...and seem to stay there. The aquarium is heavily planted (it's like mowing the lawn) and zero algae. Crystal clear water and eager hungry Angels. Two of the fish paired off and lay eggs every two weeks. It is a very healthy tank. I don't do many water changes - preferring to let the plants "tell" me what to do.

exv152
01-16-2010, 04:09 PM
...Base on what I read here - once my nitrate gets to 15 or so ppm, I should expect better plant growth and less floating algae. I'm not sure why that is the case - I just assumed that Nitrate was fertilizer for all plants - but perhaps the added Nitrate accelerates broad leaf plants to take up other nutrients needed by the one celled algae (just a hunch)...

Algae uses the same nutrients as plants. Your algae is outcompeting the plants for nutrients, that's why the algae is doing well. One way to fix that is to increase the amount of plants in the tank so the algae dies off, and slightly increase your fish load over time, and considerably increase your water circulation so all the plants get enough or equal nutrient distribution.