PDA

View Full Version : experimental "net" divider

pastry
01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
okay, i can't move my current fertile pair into their own tank because i have a new pair coming in which i need to QT first. the current pair are in a planted community with 4 other discus and plenty of logs, plants, and what not. my question is if anyone has every come up with any contraption utilizing maybe a net material with some weight on the bottom for a divider (sort of like a mesh shower curtain going around the pair yet can curve to the logs around it to prevent the other discus from getting in).

Anyone?

What did you use if anyone's tried? Even if failed attempts, I love "lessons learned".

I may try pantyhose or a net material (if I can find one) with so stones on the bottom of it to weight it down. I may have to attach some suction cups to the sides to secure them that way.

Thanks!

mmorris
01-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Someone used something like that on BIDKA. I tried to find the post but I couldn't. It kind of looked like those breeding traps they sell in the lfs, if my memory serves me correctly. It seemed to work...he was posting pics of the babies as they grew. The mesh would have to be pretty fine to keep the bbs in. You might want to experiment with the pantyhose and some sort of frame. Great stuff, pantyhose. :D If you come up with something that works, it could be quite useful to a lot of people. How big is your quarantine/ grow-out tank?

pastry
01-15-2010, 10:32 PM
well the qt/grow out tank is only 30 gals. with my current pair i wouldn't be expecting a huge amount fry any ways though. it's just waiting upon the incoming pair that's driving me nuts because it's holding things up!