PDA

View Full Version : Discus only eating bloodworms.

DiscusFandS
01-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi, i've had my Discus for a month and a bit and there only eating bloodworms. i had feed them omega one cichlid pellets and tetra flakes and they wont even go near them. Also i recently started to feed them mysis shrimp and only one of the 6 is actually eatting it. does any body have any suggestions about my picky discus?

moik
01-15-2010, 04:31 PM
First,what age and size are they..If they are adults then I would starve them a day and try again.If they do not eat it within an hour ,siphon the rest up..Its aggrivating I know, but I will not let MY discus tell me what they want to eat..Eventually they will come around..Just stick with it..
Hi, i've had my Discus for a month and a bit and there only eating bloodworms. i had feed them omega one cichlid pellets and tetra flakes and they wont even go near them. Also i recently started to feed them mysis shrimp and only one of the 6 is actually eatting it. does any body have any suggestions about my picky discus?

htruong
01-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi,

I'd feed them other foods when you think they are the most hungry like the first meal in the morning. At the beginning give them very little and observe them. If they eat then give them some more. Make sure they know you are the boss - not them! Good luck.

-Hoang

DiscusFandS
01-15-2010, 06:21 PM
they are around 4-6 months. and i've tried starving them, but they would rather stay hungry

hedut
01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
they are around 4-6 months. and i've tried starving them, but they would rather stay hungry

do you up the temperature???89-90 will be alot help :)

pcsb23
01-15-2010, 06:54 PM
What I would do here is to continue to feed the bloodworm. Defrost it in a small container and once defrosted add in a small amount of pellet or granule food. Over the next few days slowly increase the amount of granular food added to the blood worm amd then start to reduce the amount of the blood worm. The granule will pick up the flavour and will be eaten by accident almost, in a week or two they will be taking the granule or pellet from the tin.

Eddie
01-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I'd try some of Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms. I wouldn't even care if they got addicted to them, they are excellent for growth! Also have you tried Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flake. Alot of picky eaters will eat this flake right off the bat, as it is very palatable and bright red. Just some options.

All the best,

Eddie

discusjoe27
01-16-2010, 03:04 AM
I'd try some of Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms. I wouldn't even care if they got addicted to them, they are excellent for growth! Also have you tried Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flake. Alot of picky eaters will eat this flake right off the bat, as it is very palatable and bright red. Just some options. All the best,Eddie

wow huh, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes? it's ok to feed discus saltwater fish food?

Elite Aquaria
01-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Joe,

This is an excellent flake food for Discus. Many of us feed homemade seafood mixes...;)

Eddie
01-16-2010, 07:54 AM
wow huh, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes? it's ok to feed discus saltwater fish food?

Come on Joe.

Taken from Ocean Nutrition:

http://www.oceannutrition.com/product_marine.php?file=bb03.html&head=09

This natural blend of fresh, raw seafood provides an excellent source of pure marine protein from the coral reef and creates an exciting flavor that marine tropical fish cannot resist! Also excellent for freshwater tropical fish! A gourmet natural food for all tropical fish:

DiscusFandS
01-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd try some of Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms. I wouldn't even care if they got addicted to them, they are excellent for growth! Also have you tried Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flake. Alot of picky eaters will eat this flake right off the bat, as it is very palatable and bright red. Just some options.

All the best,

Eddie

Hey eddy, I'm going to try the ocean nutrition prime but today I did a half bloodworm half mysis and the discus were stil pretty picky but were a bit more willing. Hopefully this ocean food is a miracle

giangtbacg
01-21-2010, 06:38 PM
let me know if the prime reef flake work or not because my discus is the same like your only eat frozen blood worm. i try all flake and flake but didn't work.

Hey eddy, I'm going to try the ocean nutrition prime but today I did a half bloodworm half mysis and the discus were stil pretty picky but were a bit more willing. Hopefully this ocean food is a miracle

Eddie
01-21-2010, 10:26 PM
let me know if the prime reef flake work or not because my discus is the same like your only eat frozen blood worm. i try all flake and flake but didn't work.

This is why I NEVER feed FBW, discus get addicted and its a PITA to get them off it. ;)

Eddie

scottthomas
01-21-2010, 11:41 PM
I started using Prime Reef Flakes after I read Eddie using itI swear my fish like them more than fbw. I can put both in the tank and theyeat the flake first.

DiscusFandS
01-25-2010, 06:27 PM

They work great, and my RT has colored up a lot since feeding the food

giangtbacg
01-27-2010, 10:29 PM
wells i try the prime reef too but it didn't work what can i do????? (didn't feed them for two day before I start the prime reef) but when I throw in a FBW they happy and finish it

mmorris
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Yes, they're hooked. Get 'em one of those patches and stick it to their backsides. :D Then follow Paul's advice. :)