PDA

View Full Version : Discus projects?

brewmaster15
01-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi all,
Just wanted to start a thread to see what home breeding people are working on these days...Anyone have any strains that they are working on and want to share? As we go into 2010 thought it might be nice to start off on a positive note with something everyone enjoys...Discus Breeding.

For me I guess my favorites are currently my wild blueX domestic turqs lines...They are about 2.5-3" now and really show some promise as far as patern and color.... next up would be some other turqs. I'd like to say I have had success with my heckels , but so far nothing definitive...though I have a female that stares at the filter intake and shimmies:)...I really am hopeful that 2010 will be my Heckel Year.

How about you all? Whats everyone working on?

-al

mmorris
01-16-2010, 09:00 AM
I seem to have a lot in the works but no fry at the moment. A particularly nice turq paired up with the female parent, and another from that batch paired up with the male. I can imagine a nice line developing. I put the blue sapphires back into the display tank as the female didn't want to breed and unfortunately, the male paired up with a turq (one of yours, Al). I doubt I'll be raising the fry. I have a golden albino pair that have been on a verrrry long break. I'm growing out some albino turqs I got from Bill (Inland Empire) and they certainly turned out to be breeding quality. Finally, I'm picking up a couple of White Butterflies from Ashay this am and we'll see if they pair up!

ashaysathe
01-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Indeed Al. I am getting myself into some focused activities in the hobby.

Time, space and efforts at premium, I want to be very careful with what I choose to do. My goal for this year is to acquire some high quality wilds. The reason is I want to breed these wilds. The goal is I want to produce more full striated blue turks - "Shyaness Line" :D :D
I always grew in the hobby being a Blue Turk fan (ironically the pair that bred for me is RED..). The other thing I would like to do create a cross between wild and domestic.

Again being very careful of space, time and efforts.

Being part of "Coporate America" I am hammered all day with "Return on Investment" - unfortunately thats the "Reality Check Measure". This is where the rubber meets the road.

So in this case - "What are the returns?" - Education of myself and my kids. Note the findings. Be able to say "Yes. I Achieved something in the hobby"

tcmemphisbbq
01-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Trying to sell my 55 gal reef tank so I can try my hand at raising some fry....

Gonna buy a 75, poret foam divide it, put two spong filters and 2 small HOB, and when the fry are old enough take the foam out and use it as a grow out... Thats the plan anyway LOL :-)

Discusgeo2
01-16-2010, 12:25 PM
I have 4 pairs of Albino White Butterflys that produce quite a few eggs but nothing fertile. I am giving them this year and if the eggs fail to hatch I am getting rid of them.

I also have 2 pairs of Red Melons that that have fry and are in the same water as the AWB so my water is not the problem. I have a cross of a Golden Leopard with a Red Melon also that spawned for the fisrt time last week so I will see how this turns out. I had a bunch of Golden Leopards and had three left over so I decided to keep them and see what happens.

I have some Albino Turquoise that should be close enough in age to start pairing off soon.

I have found some nice wild Reds that I am going to get and see if I can get them paired up with some of my single Red Melons.

My long term project is to spawn my Giant Flora Snakeskin and Metalic Blue Scorpion Snakeskin.

My non Discus program is spwning my German Blue Rams and Electric Blue Rams this summer.

George

Dutch dude
01-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Hi there,

I sold 2 of my (les successful) couples of red turquoise and kept the one good and productive pair. I also have a 1 year "old" domesticated alenquer. Goal is to breed domesticated alenquer of the semi royal blue type.

First step is to get best qualety out of the RT strain. I selected 3 nice looking 4 inch fry from my first batch. I'm in the process of growing out 2 new batches of fry and from those I also will select the best looking (read best shaped) fish. Those I need to grow up to adult size.

Step 2 is to cross breed the one (domesticated) alenquer with the RT (home bread fry). Those already should give fish close to my goal.

Step 3 is to cross a RT X Alenquer female with a wild male to get some fresh healthy genes and to get fish that look more like wilds. In stead of a wild male I would prefer a F1 but those are very rare over here.

Why not buy wilds right away? They are very expensive over here (good qualety around $250,-) and I don't want to mess around with RO long term. It is OK to use RO temporarily (during breeding for example). So this "project" will keep me bussy for at least 3 more years.

William Palumbo
01-16-2010, 03:10 PM
I guess for me, I want to downsize a bit, and try and work with the more classic strains, such as the more Blue strains, such as Cobalts, Turks, both solid and red form. I would also like to work on a Snakeskin strain as well. I have sold off my red fish, and my PB based fish will follow soon. I will raise up my F1 Blues to breed/cross breed, but would really like to work with my wild Greens, but that's far down the line...Bill

kaceyo
01-16-2010, 03:31 PM
My goal in breeding is to cross my two spotted lines. The LSS's I've been working on and the ALSS's I'm currently working on. I've got enough ALSS fry to get some good breeders from down the road, and I'll cross them with the last generation of LSS's, which are now at breeding age.
I've done one cross of albino to non-albino but wasn't very happy with the results so I'm going to cross the next generation of each line when the albino's are mature.

Kacey

Eddie
01-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Nothing special on my end....I just recently lost my 4th batch of fry from my Heckel Cross X Albino Red Diamond. They can't stop eating the fry and it seems to be the female that gets the feeding frenzy going. I AM PI$$ED

Last night my Penang Eruptions and Blue Scorpion spawned. Still waiting for my Leopard and Penang Eruption to spawn. This pair has NEVER laid eggs but clean the cone and shimmy every day, all day NOT KIDDING. They just wont lay, thinking the female may be not be able. :(

Other than that, raising a small batch of Heckel Cross X Blue Scorpion fry that are reaching 2 months of age. Keeping a dozen to see how they turn out. I have 2 tanks of Wild Crosses that I want to work with down the road, probably 6 months before any breeding activity.

I have a group of domestic RSG that I have grown out and will decide where to use them in a month or so. Might try to pair them up with my Eruptions or Albino Red Diamond.

Eddie

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Myself personally not doing much discus related....still consulting a lot with the college regarding their discus projects. I will however be starting a new breeding program with a friend of mine working on Clown Loaches and a few other select fish.

-Ryan

philip69285
01-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Well Im starting up my breeder tank finally... didnt think i wanted to do this but it gets to you LOL. I call the tank "the white box" since its all white hehehehe except the front. I will def be letting you guys know how it goes and be updating with pictures of fry when I have them. White butterfly with a red cover is a weird combo and I want to see what it makes LOL.

scottthomas
01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
I am currently growing out some regular and albino fry from my wild/albino cross intermediates and also some fry from a nice pair of carnation turks. I want to take the best of the albinos and cross with some of my best Turk fry. It will take a while but I want to see what type of Albino Turks I can get.

I am also raising fry from a pair (Turk and a large Blue Knight Cross). I am hoping they produce some nice large turks with some staight line patterns if the BK gene gets passed on.

Also have just got my high body leopard with a nice blue base color to pair up with a PE/LSS cross. Should throw some nice spots I would think. Maybe high body too?

I would like to do even more. Especially hope to get some wild or wild cross strains to play with.

I have 6 pairs but it takes so much tank space to do what I want. I have 6-29gals, a 100 gal, a 75 gal, and 4- 55 gals . Still not enough tanks:D