PDA

View Full Version : Making the Right Choice!

Schergeil
01-16-2010, 02:22 PM
i'm about to place an order and was thinking of ordering about 15-20 discus juvis, size 2inches. Now i have the following choices to choose from but would like to know which ones to select and how many of each shud i select keeping in mind my breeding aspect. I want to have strong strains that would produce mix gud varieties. My choices are: San mera, rose red, altum flora, penang eruption, albino turquoise, mandarin passion, red leopard and pigeon snakeskin. I wud have chosen them myself but thought would get good advise and make a good decision. Thanks guys:)

Elite Aquaria
01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
As long as you get top quality discus from a good source I would pick the colors that you like.

phatdave
01-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah , decide what appeals to you.

When my tank is cycled I will buy solid red colored fish. Rose Red probably.
Thats just what I like the looks of .

Schergeil
01-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Well how many of each should a person buy in general? Like 1 pair of each wouldn't suffice if I'm not wrong, how many of each would be my first question?
Plus, what which strains from the ones I mentioned are solid strains??

Eddie
01-16-2010, 08:26 PM
If you are seriously looking to form pairs, I would get 2 or 3 strains with >7 of each. Now, I would also make sure that the 2 or 3 strains were compatible to be bred together. For example, maybe Altum Flora and Albino Turqs or San Mera and Rose Red or Penang Eruption and Red Leopard.

All the best,

Eddie

Schergeil
01-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Alright... I like Eddie's suggestion. What difference does it make if I get 6 juvis of each strain, Penang Eruption, Red Leopard and Altum Flora. Does this make any sense? Or should I keep the figure at 7 per strain?

Eddie
01-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Alright... I like Eddie's suggestion. What difference does it make if I get 6 juvis of each strain, Penang Eruption, Red Leopard and Altum Flora. Does this make any sense? Or should I keep the figure at 7 per strain?

You could, I was merely giving an example of what I would do. Having a plan A and plan B... is always good. ;)

Eddie

dpt8
01-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Buying that many fish at once is a great idea but I want to echo the first response. Its not what varieties you buy but WHO you buy them from. There are only a few people I would buy from. Also, if you were able to, I would start with 3".. They just have a better start and are more forgiving if something with their new environment ( your tank ) are not quite right. Good luck.

Schergeil
01-21-2010, 02:57 AM
This is what I've finally decided to do, I'm going to get 6 juveniles (4.5-5cm) of the following:

Penang Eruption
Red Leopard
Rose Red
Altum Flora.

Yes it also does depend on who I buy them from, but I don't have many options from where I am at the moment. All I know is that they are coming from Malaysia. Till date whatever I have ordered has always turned out to be good with perfect shapes and perfect colors. Lets see what I get this time.

Eddie
01-21-2010, 04:00 AM
This is what I've finally decided to do, I'm going to get 6 juveniles (4.5-5cm) of the following:

Penang Eruption
Red Leopard
Rose Red
Altum Flora.

Yes it also does depend on who I buy them from, but I don't have many options from where I am at the moment. All I know is that they are coming from Malaysia. Till date whatever I have ordered has always turned out to be good with perfect shapes and perfect colors. Lets see what I get this time.

Goodluck and make sure you follow STRICT QT procedures.

Eddie