PDA

View Full Version : setting up my 45 gallon tank.

DiscusFandS
01-19-2010, 08:50 AM
hi i am starting a 45 gallon tank and to get it started up quicker i thought i could use some of the water in my 60 gallon tank(which also has six discus in it) is this a good idea or should i just start from scratch

Eddie
01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Water itself will not cycle the new tank filters. I would not use anything from an existing tank in a set-up for new fish.

Eddie

mmorris
01-19-2010, 10:34 AM
When I am setting up a quarantine tank I transfer over a sponge or some media from an existing tank. There is some risk, because the old fish may carry something that causes issues for the new fish, but for me, the convenience outweighs the risk. Alternatively, you could buy discus from a reputable seller (of course) and ask them if you can buy a cycled sponge.

DiscusFandS
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
When I am setting up a quarantine tank I transfer over a sponge or some media from an existing tank. There is some risk, because the old fish may carry something that causes issues for the new fish, but for me, the convenience outweighs the risk. Alternatively, you could buy discus from a reputable seller (of course) and ask them if you can buy a cycled sponge.

what would happen if i put water from my existing tank and the filter media, would that still cause problems?

mmorris
01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I see no point in using water from your existing tank. I would think it would just increase the risk to some degree.