PDA

View Full Version : possible pair, what do you think? Waynes SADxRPP

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-19-2010, 06:54 PM
hey all,

I have had these fish in my possession since early november, before that, they spent a few months with Dan E. at Elite. at first, this 29 gal. tank was just meant to be a QT, it originally had 3 adults in there, 1 passed shortly after arrival, leaving me these 2. I threw a cone in there and decided ehh, lemme see what happens with these 2. I have never had a confirmed pair yet in my time keeping discus (about 1 year), and have never gotten past some egg laying, and a possible male making runs.

but lately these 2 have been flirting non stop, also NON STOP staring at the cone, especially the SAD. Im pretty sure the SAD is male and the RPP is female. they are thick as thieves now. they dont leave each others side, and now they just staare at the cone. Im hoping they can pair up and start to do their thing. I think that these 2 would make a great first pair.

If I was able to pull off fry, I think they could be really nice. Im guessing all SAD intermediates? what do you guys think of this possible "pair"??

thanks alot! take care. :)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/SADRPP1.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/SADRPP2.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/SADRPP3.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/SADRPP4.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/SADRPP5.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/SADRPP6.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/SADRPP7.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/SADRPP8.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/SADRPP9.jpg

scottthomas
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
I have no idea what you would get but instinct tells me some of them could be really nice. I would like to breed those myself. Beautiful fish there Jason.

Eddie
01-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Something tells me the Albino is a male. :o

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-19-2010, 07:37 PM
you think so Eddie??! what makes you say that? I will say that the RPP is definitely the more aggressive of the 2. but body shape and finnage pointed me toward female. plus a few other ppl on here initially thought female, Dan thinks female. hmmm.

just a hunch Eddie? or you say male for a certain reason??

thanks guys! :D

Eddie
01-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Although each strain/type can have very different features in male/female, albinos are even harder to distinguish I think. This is just my opinion as your albino has the exact same shape/fin shape as my male and the vent area looks more concave/kinked than convex as explained in A Soh's first book.

All the best!

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I see what ur sayin Eddie, Im thumbin thru the naked truth right now to have another look at those pics of the genital area. Im really hoping for a male and female, I dont care which one is which!! LOL. altho that SAD seems to big and bad to be a female. but who knows. Im gonna take a close look at this book, then go upstairs and take a close look at these 2.

Eddie, dont ruin my pipe dreams! :p

Eddie
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
I see what ur sayin Eddie, Im thumbin thru the naked truth right now to have another look at those pics of the genital area. Im really hoping for a male and female, I dont care which one is which!! LOL. altho that SAD seems to big and bad to be a female. but who knows. Im gonna take a close look at this book, then go upstairs and take a close look at these 2.

Eddie, dont ruin my pipe dreams! :p

My female Albino Red Diamond is larger and has WAY better shape than my male. :o The male is more oblong, like most females and is fuller like most females. :o

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
they never fail to throw us for a loop eh?? :p

Eddie
01-19-2010, 08:11 PM
they never fail to throw us for a loop eh?? :p

Them females! LOL

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-19-2010, 08:18 PM
LOL. wellp, I just took a real close look, with the book in hand comparing the pics to my fish. ITS SUCH A TUFF CALL!! judging on the genital area alone, the SAD is more convex. but the RPP isnt quite concave...more of a flat area with the SLIGHTEST convex right before the hard rays of the anal fin. jeesh, this is a tuffy. maybe one of them will pop some eggs out soon so I can have an IDEA atleast. I will say the SAD shows much more breeding activity it seems...stares at the cone more, even appears to do dry runs sometimes, but the tube isnt quite out fully. the RPP is more agressive, especially during feeding. and seems to boss the SAD around a bit. I suppose they just need some time. hopefully they are opposites.

Eddie
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
LOL. wellp, I just took a real close look, with the book in hand comparing the pics to my fish. ITS SUCH A TUFF CALL!! judging on the genital area alone, the SAD is more convex. but the RPP isnt quite concave...more of a flat area with the SLIGHTEST convex right before the hard rays of the anal fin. jeesh, this is a tuffy. maybe one of them will pop some eggs out soon so I can have an IDEA atleast. I will say the SAD shows much more breeding activity it seems...stares at the cone more, even appears to do dry runs sometimes, but the tube isnt quite out fully. the RPP is more agressive, especially during feeding. and seems to boss the SAD around a bit. I suppose they just need some time. hopefully they are opposites.

It could be that the SAD is the female. Do a 50% water change and fill the tank with cool water, around 65-70 degrees. My other question, why don't you move them to the albino tank and watch what happens? Bet you have some eggs in a few days.

Eddie

Elite Aquaria
01-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Eddie,

There still in QT so not a good idea to move them with the other fish...

I sure hope you have a pair but who knows until you see wigglers.

Eddie
01-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Eddie,

There still in QT so not a good idea to move them with the other fish...

I sure hope you have a pair but who knows until you see wigglers.

Still in QT Dan, its been 2 months already. Do you recommend longer?

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-19-2010, 08:49 PM
well they are pretty well QT'd IMO. I just dont want to mix them with any of my other stock just yet. if this frayed fins business is infact bacterial, or something other than just a deficiency...I dont want it affecting these beauties. altho after the fin trim experiment, it seems to not be bacterial, but we dont know for sure.

yep, just will have to wait and see I suppose.

Thanks Dan and Eddie. you fellas have a good night! :)

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-19-2010, 08:51 PM
nah Eddie, its just that me and Dan have been talking alot lately about my frayed fins problem, just trying to get to the bottom of things. just being careful is all.

Dan - they are lookin good tho ehh?? they are happy as hell, I can tell you that much. eat like they are still juvies! LOL. I dont feed as much tho. ;)

Eddie
01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
nah Eddie, its just that me and Dan have been talking alot lately about my frayed fins problem, just trying to get to the bottom of things. just being careful is all.

Ah, no worries. I just wasn't sure if something was different with these fish. :o Definitely makes sense. How are the fins on these 2, any fraying?

Eddie

Elite Aquaria
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
No...just wanted to keep them isolated from the other fish until after the Paul Mitchell experiment is over...;)

Eddie
01-20-2010, 12:46 AM
No...just wanted to keep them isolated from the other fish until after the Paul Mitchell experiment is over...;)

Paul Mitchell.........LOL :D

Discus-n00b
01-21-2010, 11:52 PM
For the record, all of the proven females i've ever owned have been the moody ones. Always wanting to fight and mess with the others, much more aggressive then all of my males. Who knows. It started to be a way for me to tell male from female in my tanks.

Would be a nice pair.

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-22-2010, 09:58 AM
thanks Matt, that gives me a bit of hope. I suppose only time will tell ehh? :)

take care guys.

Eddie
01-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Jason, do they do any shakin or shimmying or bowing yet?

BOBT00LS
01-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Jason those are some great looking discus. I hope they work out for you as a pair. Their fry would be awesome. Dan is a great guy to work with and your in good hands.

Bob

mmorris
01-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Nice fish, but what do the letters stand for?

Eddie
01-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Nice fish, but what do the letters stand for?

Super Angel Diamond X Red Pupil Platinum

packerkid
01-23-2010, 02:35 PM
very nice breeding pair, wish you the best luck. My guess is the fins could be form the fish 'hitting' on each other cough lol
robbie

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-23-2010, 06:44 PM
thanks guys.

Eddie - no shimmying or shaking really. atleast not that I have seen. I dont spend much time infront of that tank, its upstairs in a spare bedroom. but, no...havnt noticed any of that activity...the most I have seen is looong periods staring at the breeding cone, and they swim together most of the time.

one question...what exactly do they look like when they bow. I have heard of this, probably seen it a million times too, I just dont exactly know what u mean. is it when they kind of show their underside to the other fish? with their head kinda facing up? or is it when they turn their head down? or is it when they tilt to the side from left to right??! LOL, IDK!! :p

Eddie
01-23-2010, 08:04 PM
When they bow, they swim towards each in an upward motion, tilted back, and when they pass each other, they bow forward. When they do this, all of their fins are fully erect/spread. ;)

I'll see if I can get a video of it.

Eddie