PDA

View Full Version : WC during breeding

MGKelly
01-20-2010, 04:51 AM
Just curious on how you do a WC when discus are breeding.
Especially when they have fry.

Thanks, Joe

Eddie
01-20-2010, 04:58 AM
Just curious on how you do a WC when discus are breeding.
Especially when they're have fry.

Thanks, Joe

Carefully...just dont suck up any fry. I actually siphon using a regular 3/4 tube and end hangs in a large tub. If any fry get sucked up, they end up in the tub. :o Thats my way anyways.
Eddie

Elite Aquaria
01-20-2010, 08:16 AM
I drain off water into a 5 gallon white bucket...I almost always suck up 1 or 2 fry...I just use a turkey baster and put them back in the tanks...

MostlyDiscus
01-20-2010, 09:56 AM
New water should be around the same ph and temp. Make sure there are no cloramaines.

David Rose
01-20-2010, 10:15 AM
I do my water changes after first and last feeding of the day.

I use a six foot 1/4" RO drain tube to clean the bottom first each time given it takes in less water, but gets everything off the bottom more efficiently within 10 mins. This drains into a Home Depot bucket then I check for fry with a flash light. I tried the white container approach and for whatever reason found it more difficult to see fry accidentally caught in the flow. I found I preferred the firmer drain tubing that gave me more control in aiming the siphon to avoid fry and not have to stick my hands in the water.

After cleaning, I switch to my regular WC siphon and draw from an area of the tank away from the fry for the remaining. I do two water changes a day, squeeze out the sponges to remove BBS etc. and wipe down the insides of the tank once a day.

To reduce the amount of debris/left over BBS caught up in my sponges, I now shut off the filters for 20 minutes during feeding time, vacuum the bottom while most stuff has settled, and turn back on the filters. (from Paul)