PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn fin rot

Fraise
01-20-2010, 04:05 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Fin rot. 3 of my fish have developed a bad case of fin rot. It all started about a month ago when it jumped out of teh tank and landed on the floor behind the tank. it was out of the tank for about 10 minutes before i was able to get it back into the water. it swam around the tank a little dazed but by the next morning the only sign that anything had happened was a small tear on the caudal fin.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

maze - caudal fin is torn, no visible fungus.
Red Melon - dorsal fin and anal fin are slowly rotting.
red turq - pelvic fins are slowly getting eaten and are quite short.

All of the fish are still eating and behaving normally. none of them are dark or hiding. breathing also seems to be normal.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

-First step was to up the water change regime from 30% twice a week to 50% every other day. did this for a week and saw no improvement.
-next i tried the same water change regime but added some salt at 1 tbsp/10gal for a week and no improvement.
-Tried API fungus cure and again saw no improvement.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

120G (60x18), set up for 2 months, currently has 6 discus & 8 angels. the other 3 discus and all of the angels are showing no sign of any fin damage.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Since noticing the problem, i've been doing 50% every other day, straight tap water treated with prime. tank is planted with white sand.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _84°F_

- ph __6.8-7.0___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __less than 5__

- well water ____

- municipal water __tap__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

The only fish added was the red melon but this was prior to the maze jumping out of the tank. the melon started to show signs that it was affected approx 2 weeks after the maze was showing signs of rot.

mlw
01-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Try Furan-2. Also there is some debate but I found when I lowered the temp just a bit it helped slow down fin rot. My thought was bacteria multiply quicker in higher temps. So my fin rot treatment iis to lower the temp, turn off the lights and use Furan-2

pcsb23
01-20-2010, 04:50 PM
The problem is going to be tretaing in a planted tank. Makes the situation more complicated.

I'd treat by doing a pp bath @ 2ppm for a minimum of four hours (PP staying purple/pink). Then I'd use oxytetracycline, but this will nuke your bio filter. Furan 2 would probably also work.

The plants will likely suffer as will water quality. Best treating in a BB tank.

Fraise
01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
The problem is going to be tretaing in a planted tank. Makes the situation more complicated.

I'd treat by doing a pp bath @ 2ppm for a minimum of four hours (PP staying purple/pink). Then I'd use oxytetracycline, but this will nuke your bio filter. Furan 2 would probably also work.

The plants will likely suffer as will water quality. Best treating in a BB tank.

I have a 20g QT tank to use for this. would the pp bath have any detrimental effects on young discus? the blue turq and red melon are still quite young.

pcsb23
01-20-2010, 05:47 PM
No detrimental effects.

pcsb23
01-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Just thinking, if you are treating all 6 in a 20gal, better keep an eye on them. If they get really stressed - go to the surface and start to piep, or go flat then get them out. You should be ok, but it is kinda cosy. Add an airstone too.

Fraise
01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Just thinking, if you are treating all 6 in a 20gal, better keep an eye on them. If they get really stressed - go to the surface and start to piep, or go flat then get them out. You should be ok, but it is kinda cosy. Add an airstone too.

Thank you for the advice. I would only be treating 3 since the other are showing no signs at all and 2 of them are pretty young so they're still small.