PDA

View Full Version : Wild discus

Arjunpun
01-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Can u keep just one wild discus with other regular discus. The ph level is 7.5 and I have driftwood and peat moss.
Thanks.

TankWatcher
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Some may say no, but for various reasons, I have 2 tanks where the majority are domestics, but in each case there is one lone wild discus. Been that way for a while now and all is going well.

Having said that, if you can manage to get a group of wild discus & give them their own tank, it really does look better IMO. You can add non discus tank mates too, if you want.

Eddie
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Can u keep just one wild discus with other regular discus. The ph level is 7.5 and I have driftwood and peat moss.
Thanks.

I wouldn't, have done and wouldn't again. Keeping domestics and wilds separate is better in the long run. Wilds have a whole other way of interacting together, than domestics.

Eddie

Arjunpun
01-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks guys for the information

darbex
01-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I havent done them together. But I did notice a vastly different attitude between the two. Domestics act more interactive and almost free spirited, where as the wilds are more group oriented and shy away. I know a friend of mine that has both and they are fine and actual has a Turq x RSG pair that have breed for him. So who knows.

TankWatcher
01-22-2010, 09:04 AM
But Eddie, you wouldn't have your Lago Solomon X Turqs, if someone hadn't put a wild Lago Solomon with a domestic turk .... but I agree a group of wilds together in their own tank is the better option.

My domestics are "every man for himself" and my wilds are like synchronised swimmers, the way the school so nicely - so you're right - wilds do have a whole other way of interacting together - which you won't see if you place them in your domestic tanks.

That said, it's still quite doable. It wasn't my plan to do this myself ..... circumstances have dictated it ..... and it's working well ..... and because they have been with the domestics, they will never move into my tankful of wilds, so there they will stay

Larry Bugg
01-22-2010, 09:09 AM
At what point do they cease to be wilds? Are F1's still considered wilds in this case? Is their behavior still that of wilds or domesticated?

TankWatcher
01-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm not all that up on the terms, but I think they are only wild if they were born in the Amazon River. F1's are born in a tank, so I would say they are no longer wilds. Pelle can probably answer your question about their behaviour .... he has some beautiful offspring from his wild discus.

Eddie
01-22-2010, 09:18 AM
But Eddie, you wouldn't have your Lago Solomon X Turqs, if someone hadn't put a wild Lago Solomon with a domestic turk .... but I agree a group of wilds together in their own tank is the better option.

My domestics are "every man for himself" and my wilds are like synchronised swimmers, the way the school so nicely - so you're right - wilds do have a whole other way of interacting together - which you won't see if you place them in your domestic tanks.

That said, it's still quite doable. It wasn't my plan to do this myself ..... circumstances have dictated it ..... and it's working well ..... and because they have been with the domestics, they will never move into my tankful of wilds, so there they will stay

Very true Robyn, but as bugman mentions below, the wild form or instinctive nature may eventually be bred out. The Turquoise that Watanabe (T-Aquarium) used in this pair came from him crossing wilds. I guess the further you breed/in-breed them, they become more and more domesticated, just my thoughts.

At what point do they cease to be wilds? Are F1's still considered wilds in this case? Is their behavior still that of wilds or domesticated?

This is a good question, the Lago Solomon X Turquoise I have a FAR from any domestic discus I have ever owned. They interact differently and school together, perfectly. Is it their instinct? Might be. Something else that I cannot break the fish into, is light. I cannot for the life of me, get these fish used to lights on the tank. It has to be a light NOT directly on top of the tank. I have tried everything, to no avail. Soon as they get larger I will be giving them manzanita and will try with dim lighting again.

Eddie

TankWatcher
01-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Very true Robyn, but as bugman mentions below, the wild form or instinctive nature may eventually be bred out. The Turquoise that Watanabe (T-Aquarium) used in this pair came from him crossing wilds. I guess the further you breed/in-breed them, they become more and more domesticated, just my thoughts. Oh I am not saying you are wrong ..... I agree with you ..... totally .....

I don't think an adult wild kept with domestics will lose it's instinctive nature ...... but you won't see it, or it won't be obvious, because domestics won't be playing the same game ..... Wild's tank born offspring, different story if they are raised with domestics .... well when in Rome do as the Romans

Coming from a place in the world (like me) where it's unlikely you'll find a tankful of wilds at LFS, if I spotted just the one I'd buy it ..... my first wild was bought just that way ..... a hobbyist was selling a single semi royal wild blue & I grabbed it ..... if I'd been told too strongly not to buy it because I shouldn't mix wilds with domestics, my love affair with the wild discus would have been quashed before it even started ..... but once I had that single wild, the desire grew ..... leading to new tanks decidated just to wilds

Ok, so I know I'm thinking too much here .... but I've read threads about popularity of wilds in USA .... though there's a hard core of SD members who love them, seems they're not in great demand by the average hobbyist ..... so if LFS has only 2 in his tanks, I'd prefer to see an experienced discus keeper add them to his domestic tank, rather than leaving the poor things in LFS .....

The guy who imported my new wild greens ..... he imported 10 (in case of DOA or poor samples) ..... I got to pick the best 8 out of the bunch before the other 2 went to LFS ..... I think about those 2 leftovers ..... it's likely they'll go to someone's domestic tank ..... they won't see the behaviours we speak of ..... but that's better than living out their life in LFS

just my opinion, so Arjunpun, what I'd say is if you can buy yourself a group & give them their own tank - that is the best option .... but you can put this wild with your domestics (naturally do QT & then the hero fish thing). As far as you can tell that a fish is happy (fins erect, good colour, greets you at feeding time) my wilds with my domestics appear happy.

Arjunpun
01-22-2010, 11:54 PM
I was going to order 1 wild heckel cross form sponser here like 5" inch adult. I never had wild discus so I like to experince one.I don't have a space to get group of wild.
Thanks guys for the answer.

darbex
01-23-2010, 02:28 AM
IMO an F1 isnt necessarily a domestic. I would consider domestics more of the designer line bred discus. F1 will retain the same attitudes of wilds and colors. Now as you get further down the line and you break those lineages then I think you can make an arguement that they are now domestics. Just my 2 cents.

rickztahone
01-23-2010, 03:52 AM
IMO an F1 isnt necessarily a domestic. I would consider domestics more of the designer line bred discus. F1 will retain the same attitudes of wilds and colors. Now as you get further down the line and you break those lineages then I think you can make an arguement that they are now domestics. Just my 2 cents.

i must disagree, a wild is only a wild when it was born in the wild. an F1 is domesticated, this is strictly in my opinion.