PDA

View Full Version : the Discus fish tank?

aquman
01-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Is a 120 litre tank a good tank size for a pair of discus?

would it be good for the discus if I did a 100% water change once a week?

Eddie
01-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Is a 120 litre tank a good tank size for a pair of discus?

would it be good for the discus if I did a 100% water change once a week?

Yes, 120l is just fine for a single pair, and yes you can do a 100% change once a week, IF the water parameters are EXACTLY the same.

Eddie

Dutch dude
01-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I kept a breeding pair in a 120 liter standard European tank. Thats a 16inch x 16 inch x 32inch. They were perfectly fine in there. Doing a 100% wc is kind of dificult with adults but you should be fine with 2 times a week 60% to 70%. Keep in mind that you can only add a proven pair and just 2 discus are not very likely going to work.

Eddie
01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I kept a breeding pair in a 120 liter standard European tank. Thats a 16inch x 16 inch x 32inch. They were perfectly fine in there. Doing a 100% wc is kind of dificult with adults but you should be fine with 2 times a week 60% to 70%. Keep in mind that you can only add a proven pair and just 2 discus are not very likely going to work.

Thats funny, I do 100% on my adult tanks. ;)

Dutch dude
01-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Do you take the fish out Eddie or do you do several 80% wc's a couple of times right after each other? A 100% wc is a complete empty tank and refill it ;)

Eddie
01-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Do you take the fish out Eddie or do you do several 80% wc's a couple of times right after each other? A 100% wc is a complete empty tank and refill it ;)

Nope, I drain it till they lay down, maybe about 97-98%, barely any water at all. I then start filling and once the tank is about 1/4 full, I'll drain it down again, making sure there is NO debris in the tank. Then fill it up all the way. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

Dutch dude
01-24-2010, 07:33 AM
OK that makes sense and is very very very close to a 100% wc. To me the big drawback is the point where the fish need to go sidewards becouse the water height is smaller as the height of their body. At that point they become very nervous and some might panic. Thats not desired if one uses a substrate for example or does have logs in his or her tank. So I like to do water changes until the water level is the same as the height of the fish. On adults (depending on the water/tank height) this comes down to 60%-80%. That should be a save method for every situation for every person.

Eddie
01-24-2010, 07:43 AM
OK that makes sense and is very very very close to a 100% wc. To me the big drawback is the point where the fish need to go sidewards becouse the water height is smaller as the height of their body. At that point they become very nervous and some might panic. Thats not desired if one uses a substrate for example or does have logs in his or her tank. So I like to do water changes until the water level is the same as the height of the fish. On adults (depending on the water/tank height) this comes down to 60%-80%. That should be a save method for every situation for every person.

Sounds like you have a good plan, mine always worked for me and most definitely....my fish. ;)

Eddie