PDA

View Full Version : OK I have flooded the office............twice!

DocB
01-22-2010, 08:48 PM
My officemates' patience is being tested.
I have a 55 gal in the "lobby" a 45 gal aging barrel and 29gal QT in the back room.
My attention span is just slightly less than the time req'd to fill the 29 gal tank.
And if the phone rings.....

So what I am looking for is something similar to the small floats I see that shut of water. They are about three inches long. But instead of shutting off water I would like a small alarm to sound. Ideally I picture this small electronic float can be attached to the side of any of my three vessels with a suction cup and then runs to a tiny 12v battery operated alarm. very small, doesn't have to be loud but has to be very portable.
I am very impressed with the setups I see in this forum: a dozen tanks getting 3 WC's per day and he isn't even home!
But what I see is here is on a whole other level.
I'm thinking miniaturization.
Maybe a visit to radio shack

yim11
01-22-2010, 08:53 PM
something like this maybe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Noahs-Water-Overflow-Flood-Alarm-Prevent-Disaster_W0QQitemZ290393625639QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439ccf1427

I have one, works great, loud alarm, but if you leave it on it will run thru the battery FAST.

HTHs,
-jim

DocB
01-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Looks perfect! I was actually overthinking this after seeing all the great examples. I dont need a FLOAT SWITCH I just need a WATER SENSOR.
And the price is right. I'l try to mute the alarm somehow. Thannks

yim11
01-22-2010, 09:09 PM
The speaker is a small hole on the back, easily covered by tape that would lessen the alarm sound. It pays for itself on the first alarm. :o

HTHs,
-jim

DonMD
01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Have you tried Jehmco? I have had excellent results calling John there and just telling him what I want to do, and he sends me the valve, solenoid, etc. that I needed, even thought it wasn't listed on his web page.

http://jehmco.com/index.html

Just a thought. Good luck.