PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Siam Masters: what do you think?

David Rose
01-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Here are a couple of "Yellow Siam Masters" supposedly that were a couple of the first discus I purchased earlier this year at 2" that are maybe 4" now. I haven't seen anyone post pictures of YSM, so I have no idea that this is really what I even ordered. So what do you think of these two and what do you think they are? Looks like some PB in the mix, but maybe YSM genetically have PB....dunno.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/20100123139.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/20100123050.jpg

Is there something I can do to clean them up?

Thanks,
David

PS: these were puchased in June before I found Simply Discus.

Eddie
01-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Pigeons, dirty ones. Not much you can do except give them a light background or bottom. They look like old school pigeons, just more yellow than orange.

Eddie

phatdave
01-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Pigeon for sure! Lots of "peppering" that won't go away.

Dave

phatdave
01-23-2010, 09:01 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to keep breeding PBs that are peppered like those and come up with an all BLACK Discus?

That would look pretty great next to an Albino . Ebony and Ivory!

Dave

Eddie
01-23-2010, 10:59 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to keep breeding PBs that are peppered like those and come up with an all BLACK Discus?

That would look pretty great next to an Albino . Ebony and Ivory!

Dave

This has already been thought of, at most, the fish were just so heavily peppered, they were gray. It would not be something interesting, as it has zero color. Maybe an all black with bright red striations would be nice but not a school of charcoal briquettes zooming around the tank.

Eddie

vss
01-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Should be an old Thai line, to me it seems to have both the traits of PB and golden.

-Xiaofei :)

phatdave
01-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Maybe an all black with bright red striations would be nice but not a school of charcoal briquettes zooming around the tank.

Eddie THATS funny ! You made me actually laugh out loud . Good one.

..But the tank water needs big and frequent changes in his tank, NOW!

Keith Perkins
01-23-2010, 11:58 PM
My local discus supplier currently has a bunch of discus that if I remember right look almost exactly like these. When I commented about the peppering I was told they were suppose to look that way. :shocked2: Oh how I love LFSs.

Scribbles
01-24-2010, 04:46 AM
I think that they look like PB too.

Chris

Elite Aquaria
01-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Dave,

Those are heavenly peppered Pigeons...

David Rose
01-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I moved these two from my black background main tank to the 75G that has the lighter sand and background. It's been almost two months with no change except for some growth.

They were pretty sickly at the start, but have been doing well healthwise for months. I just am debating on making room in my tank for wilds and what to do with them. Without the peppering they would look pretty cool, so maybe some more time given the environmental change will help :confused:

Eddie
01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
I moved these two from my black background main tank to the 75G that has the lighter sand and background. It's been almost two months with no change except for some growth.

They were pretty sickly at the start, but have been doing well healthwise for months. I just am debating on making room in my tank for wilds and what to do with them. Without the peppering they would look pretty cool, so maybe some more time given the environmental change will help :confused:

Hey David, the pigeons I owned back in the day actually reduced peppering immediately, once moved from a dark background and dark bottom. Some pigeons just have heavy peppering and it won't diminish with the change.

Eddie

kaceyo
01-24-2010, 10:29 PM
YSM's are just yellow pigeons. There are nice clean ones but the name has been used to sell many a dirty yellow pigeon. I mean, which would you rather buy. A yellow pigeon or a "Yellow Siam Master"?

Kacey

DiscusFreakaZoid
01-25-2010, 01:14 AM
YSM's are just yellow pigeons. There are nice clean ones but the name has been used to sell many a dirty yellow pigeon. I mean, which would you rather buy. A yellow pigeon or a "Yellow Siam Master"?

Kacey

Very true kacey alot of fancy names out there for the same fish gets confusing. Luckily i dont go by names i just find something i like. Dave those heckels look nice though below it.

ShinShin
01-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Kacey nailed it. Siam Yellows were one of the supposedly solid yellow discus derived from PB's years ago. I can't tell you how many of these poor strain yellows I have purchased around 10 years ago. Too many. None were worth having.

http://www.discusnada.org/discus/care.html

click on water and water changes and scroll down to last pic with the fish

The two PB looking discus were mine before Carol bought them from me. These were "solid yellow discus" I purchased from Al Johnson at Rocky Mountain Discus when he was still in the Rocky Mountains. Really nice solid yellow discus, weren't they?

Mat

BTW, I didn't sell them as solid yellow discus. All 5 of the discus in this photo were mine. I sent Carol pics of all the fish before she made the purchase.