PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a RO system

htruong
01-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a RO system. It's probably 100 GPD. I saw this one from ebay for $104:
Aqua Reef RO DI Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aqua-Reef-RO-DI-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filtration-System_W0QQitemZ110483919500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b95ad28c

I've never owned such a pruduct. I would appreciate any feedback and advices.

-Hoang

pcsb23
01-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Don't bother with an RO system and inbuilt DI. The DI resin needs replacing frequently and will take the water from very near to 0 tds to 0 tds. It is also a Pita to handle.

Using my RO system the product water has a TDS of 1. In fish keeping terms what purpose is there in removing this lonley 1 TDS? None! So save your money on the DI.

I cannot comment on that brand, don't get them over here.

htruong
01-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Don't bother with an RO system and inbuilt DI. The DI resin needs replacing frequently and will take the water from very near to 0 tds to 0 tds. It is also a Pita to handle.

Using my RO system the product water has a TDS of 1. In fish keeping terms what purpose is there in removing this lonley 1 TDS? None! So save your money on the DI.

I cannot comment on that brand, don't get them over here.

One more question. Can I get RO DI unit and just ignore the DI resin? Does it still work after the DI resin need replacement? The reason I want to go this route because none of the products from this seller are RO only. They have the good price too.

Thank you.
-Hoang

pcsb23
01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
One more question. Can I get RO DI unit and just ignore the DI resin? Does it still work after the DI resin need replacement? The reason I want to go this route because none of the products from this seller are RO only. They have the good price too.

Thank you.
-HoangOnce the resin is spent then yes you can use it without. I'd remove the DI containers, and it looks easy enough from the pic.

phatdave
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Im also interested in buying one. We have old pipes and clorinated water. My wife buys water from Winco and my thought is why not?

She can have clean drinking water and I can use it in my Aquarium.

jeff@zina.com
02-14-2010, 10:21 AM
RO will not remove dissolved chlorine, or chloramines, but it will clean up a lot of other water problems. If you are getting particulates in the water, use filters in front of your RO unit to save wear on the membrane. In fact, use the filters anyway... :)

Jeff

Elite Aquaria
02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Jeff,

The RO unit will remove Chlorine and Chloramines. In fact, if the carbon block does not remove this before the water hits the RO membrane it will fry the membrane.

roclement
02-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Hoang,

Do an e-bay search for RO units and find "The General", great brand and prices, great reviews from many people I trust!

I agree with Paul, for Discus, the DI portion is almost useless unless your water is hard as a rock, My water comes out of the RO membrane at 4tds and leaves the DI at 0tds. I use the DI since I have a reef at home so I need 0tds water to mix salt water.

I use a unit from www.tbaquatics.com and love it! www.thefilterguyzsbiz also great, probably the best!

Good luck!

Rod