PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish with Discus.

DiscusFandS
01-25-2010, 06:25 PM
i have a 56 gallon with 6 discus in it and i was wondering if i could put 1 angelfish in. I no that the angel fish will be aggressive towards feeding time, but the angel i have is very calm and not aggressive during feeding time. i have QTed the angel for 2 months and think he is ready. :) is this a good idea or should i just leave him alone. also what is the recommended time for Qting a fish and do you even need to do it with angelfish

DiscusFandS
01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
any suggestions?:)

Billy Vu
01-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi,

I have an angelfish with 11 discus and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Actually he's schooling with the discus. I know that angel fish have a repuatation for aggression towards their tank mates, but that doesn't seem to be the case with my set up. Go for it!

Cheers,
Billy

DiscusFandS
01-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi,

I have an angelfish with 11 discus and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Actually he's schooling with the discus. I know that angel fish have a repuatation for aggression towards their tank mates, but that doesn't seem to be the case with my set up. Go for it!

Cheers,
Billy

Thanks, also i have qted an angle but the LFS got in some nice ones and i wondering if i can just put the angel in the tank.:confused:

William Palumbo
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Quarentine the LFS Angels for sure!...Disease and plagues are very easily passed from Angel to Discus, and vice versa. These two species easily catch what ever the other may have. I breed my Angels, so there is never a problem keeping them with Discus. Angels are a bit more aggressive at feeding time, so make sure you feed well so the Discus gets their share of the food...Bill

rickztahone
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
you already have a packed tank, do not add any more fish

DiscusFandS
01-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Quarentine the LFS Angels for sure!...Disease and plagues are very easily passed from Angel to Discus, and vice versa. These two species easily catch what ever the other may have. I breed my Angels, so there is never a problem keeping them with Discus. Angels are a bit more aggressive at feeding time, so make sure you feed well so the Discus gets their share of the food...Bill

okay i will qt the angel. also does the size of the angel comppared to the size of the discus mattere

DonMD
01-25-2010, 08:53 PM

That's what I'm thinking, too. 6 discus in a 56 gallon tank is really pushing the limit. Adding an angel will just add stress. Generally the rule is 10 gallons per discus, and I think that even that is optimistic, especially if water quality is not top notch.

DiscusFandS
01-25-2010, 10:15 PM
That's what I'm thinking, too. 6 discus in a 56 gallon tank is really pushing the limit. Adding an angel will just add stress. Generally the rule is 10 gallons per discus, and I think that even that is optimistic, especially if water quality is not top notch.

so my tank is too small to have another fish in it, even though i do 50% water changes daily

Fraise
01-26-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm currently keeping 8 angels with 8 discus right now. when they were all jouvies they were in a 65G but i have since moved them to a 120G. I'd still consider it to be overstocked and i've had a few issues with water quailty despite doing 50% every other day. I have never experienced any issues with aggression between the discus and angels. The angels however, are aggressive towards each other.

bs6749
01-26-2010, 12:56 AM

Agreed, no more fish unless they are something like neons or cardinal tetras.

Scribbles
01-26-2010, 03:41 AM
I wouldn't do it. Your tank is already full.

Chris

DiscusFandS
01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't do it. Your tank is already full.

Chris

Okay i won't move him in with the discus i'll just put him in my community tank.:D

discusjoe27
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
don't put them in a community tank, unless the angels are small. big angels will eat small fish like neon/cardinal tetras. I would buy a 55 gallon(48x13x21) and raise 4-6 possible 8 small juvies in it, just like you would with juvie discus.

mareshow
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Its your tank, do whatever you want with it, Personally i would do it. I have 4 altum angels with 6 discus and they are all very happy, the angels grow like weeds though, and mind you my tank is a 180

DiscusFreakaZoid
01-27-2010, 12:26 AM
If this a temporarily thing and your discus arnt full adults id say do it and test it out but once they go into the 4 -5inch range id upgrade the tank to the nice retirement size around 90-100g. However if this a growout tank i wouldnt do it personally.

rickztahone
01-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Its your tank, do whatever you want with it, Personally i would do it. I have 4 altum angels with 6 discus and they are all very happy, the angels grow like weeds though, and mind you my tank is a 180

i'm not sure how you can make the comparison and actually encourage this member to do what they want when you have a 180 with 10 larger fish which would put you in a light bioload bracket, whilst he has 6 discus in a 56g and wants to add a whole bunch of angels :confused::confused:. Am i missing something here? we are trying to keep his best interest in mind, and putting that many fish in a 56 is something that can cause problems down the road. of course it is his tank but why not take advise from those that have been there and done that? (OP actually agreed not to go ahead and add the angels)

mareshow
01-27-2010, 01:16 PM
i'm not sure how you can make the comparison and actually encourage this member to do what they want when you have a 180 with 10 larger fish which would put you in a light bioload bracket, whilst he has 6 discus in a 56g and wants to add a whole bunch of angels :confused::confused:. Am i missing something here? we are trying to keep his best interest in mind, and putting that many fish in a 56 is something that can cause problems down the road. of course it is his tank but why not take advise from those that have been there and done that? (OP actually agreed not to go ahead and add the angels)

I'm not trying to create an argument here or anything but the presences of another species like that in the tank i think rather helps the Discus, before i had mine, the first of mine, in a 45g BB, now in the 180 planted they grow faster, out compete the angels for food. And they are not the only ones in the tank, I have four plecos, a black arowana and 2 stingrays. I also have about 2500gph of filtration on it though with a UV filter. Yes i know our situations are different but i think adding the angel, although it may be a bit cramped, would be very beneficial to the discus. This is just my opinion though.

bs6749
01-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm not trying to create an argument here or anything but the presences of another species like that in the tank i think rather helps the Discus, before i had mine the first of mine in a 45g, now in the 180 they grow faster, out compete the angels for food. And they are not the only ones in the tank, I have four plecos, a black arowana and 2 stingrays. I also have about 2500gph of filtration on it though with a UV filter. Yes i know our situations are different but i think adding the angel, although it may be a bit cramped, would be very beneficial to the discus. This is just my opinion though.

It would be like the straw that broke the camel's back if you added another large fish to the nearly overstocked (or already overstocked for that matter) tank. Best not to put the angelfish in with the current residents. Angelfish and discus can/will work, but not in this situation with those numbers.

zamboniMan
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
If you keep up with your water I think you can do it. May be against standard conventions which is why people are like :argue: but that doesn't mean it can't be done with causing harm to the fish.

Josh

bs6749
01-27-2010, 11:51 PM
If you keep up with your water I think you can do it. May be against standard conventions which is why people are like :argue: but that doesn't mean it can't be done with causing harm to the fish.

Josh

You could also ride in a Ford Focus with 5 fat guys farting all the way from New York City to Los Angeles...but I wouldn't. It's not just about whether the fish can physically fit into the tank. It's about the bioload being able to keep up with the fish and also swimming room.

zamboniMan
01-28-2010, 10:21 PM
You could also ride in a Ford Focus with 5 fat guys farting all the way from New York City to Los Angeles...but I wouldn't. It's not just about whether the fish can physically fit into the tank. It's about the bioload being able to keep up with the fish and also swimming room.

LOL I wouldn't even get into a focus.

As I said :argue:

If you keep up with water changes and filter the water well theres no reason you can't bend "the rules" a little. After all the only reason the rules are the rules are because someone sat down one day and decided to do it that way then convinced other people to. "Overstocking" with adequate filtration and WC's is just fine. If they all occupy the same space in the water column it may be another story.

rickztahone
01-29-2010, 01:11 AM
LOL I wouldn't even get into a focus.

As I said :argue:

If you keep up with water changes and filter the water well theres no reason you can't bend "the rules" a little. After all the only reason the rules are the rules are because someone sat down one day and decided to do it that way then convinced other people to. "Overstocking" with adequate filtration and WC's is just fine. If they all occupy the same space in the water column it may be another story.

look, i'm well aware that a tank can be super packed (check out Derek's PB's), but this is advised only to someone that has much experience with discus rearing. again, we are just trying to keep the OP's best interest at heart here, but again; it is his tank and he can do whatever it is he would like. end of story for me...