PDA

View Full Version : Which lamps would be brighter?

Patr1ck
01-26-2010, 05:44 AM
Which would be brighter? 18W x 2 of t5no or 9W x 4 of power compact?

Thanks,
Pat

Eddie
01-26-2010, 06:26 AM
I prefer T5 bulbs over power compact, just a personal pref.

Eddie

Fraise
01-26-2010, 10:54 AM
I have a strong preference towards CF's. I find them to have more output given the same wattage.

bs6749
01-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I prefer T5 bulbs over power compact, just a personal pref.

Eddie

Me too, they are more efficient than most other types of bulbs out there.

I have a strong preference towards CF's. I find them to have more output given the same wattage.

T5's are about 1.75 times as efficient as T12 normal output bulbs and CF/PC are about 1.35 -1.40 times as efficient as the same T12's. This is based on the amount of lumens produced per watt. One quick way to prove this would be to get an equal wattage setup of each the T5 and CF/PC and let them run for 5 minutes. Then go ahead and see which one is hotter. The hotter one is the less efficient one as it is converting more energy to heat rather than light.

JL15219
01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
I would go with the T-5....for the same reasons posted above....they are more efficient than most other lights...and its what I use....:D

scottishbloke
01-30-2010, 04:46 PM
I get about 80 lumens per watt with my T5HO's...twice what a T12 puts out and more efficient than any CF I've seen so far (in my own experience). Because the T5 light is much brighter, its rays penetrate through water much better than a bunch of less powerful ones totaling the same wattage- this can be an issue in a deep tank that is planted with low growing but light-demanding plants. If however you want "point source" illumination in your tank (which creates contrasting light and dark areas in your tank like sunlight rather than almost uniform brightness), CF bulbs are better for achieving that kind of effect.

My $0.02,

Colin

FSM
01-31-2010, 08:38 PM

Do you have data to support this?

1nvad3r
02-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Also depends on the quality of the reflector, good quality will get you more light in the tank= Brighter.

chachi
02-05-2010, 12:25 AM
i like t5s for there versatility and efficiency.

i can get almost any k rating i want and i know that they are very bright. i use metal halides on my salt water tanks and t5s on fw. if i had the choice again i would consider t5s for the salt water. i don't think you will be unhappy at all with the t5s.

that said, i don't have a lot of experience with cf. where my research led me was to t5s.

chachi

Dutch dude
02-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Why don't you e-mail the manufacturer and ask for the specifications of both types? This is the only way to reliable compare the both.

How deep light will penetrate the water does not only depend on the strength of the light source but also on the color spectrum. Red will penetrate not as deep as blue. In a tank the dept is only a few feet and there wont be a noticeable diference between colors.

The temperature of a lamp doesn't only depend on the heat los it selves but also depends on the surface aria of the hot parts.

Philips T8 tubelights of the 800 series (like the TLD830 and TLD840) have a longer life span, slower degrading of the output and are very close to T5 if it comes to light strength (lumen) v.s. consumed energy (Watt). T5 consume more energy per inch length and also produce more light per inch. Comparing consumed energy and light output the T5 and T8 Philips 800 series the diference in efficiency is only small.

Fraise
02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Do you have data to support this?

I have no data to support this, just what i have observed when switching from current USA T5 fixtures to Coralife CF.

bigbrad73
02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I bought the T5

roclement
02-05-2010, 01:01 PM
T-5's last longer, are brighter, have more temperature options, and are cheaper to operate and replace...
The only thing that would be better right now would be LED's but with the initial cost being so high (still), T-5's seem like the best option.

JMO

Rodrigo

discusjoe27
02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
t4,t5,or t6's power compacts use to much heat and energy. I've seen them on my friends saltwater tanks, I'm find with t5's, t8's, and t12's. now only if I can find a 48 inch shop figure that will give me 2.5-4 watts of light per gallon on a 55 gallon I will be happy. I found a t5 VHO 48 bulb for $5.00 used but didn't get it because I didn't know if it would go in a normal 2 bulb shop light from wallmart.

Patr1ck
02-05-2010, 03:40 PM
t4,t5,or t6's power compacts use to much heat and energy. I've seen them on my friends saltwater tanks, I'm find with t5's, t8's, and t12's. now only if I can find a 48 inch shop figure that will give me 2.5-4 watts of light per gallon on a 55 gallon I will be happy. I found a t5 VHO 48 bulb for $5.00 used but didn't get it because I didn't know if it would go in a normal 2 bulb shop light from wallmart.

I think that 2 48" T5 ho lights (a total of 108W) will give you the light you are looking for on that tank. Its for plants right? That bulb you mentioned will work in the walmart fixture (if its a t5 fixture) but it will only be as bright as a normal output bulb. The wattage and light output of the bulb depends on the ballast in the fixture. You can also run NO t5 bulbs in an HO fixture and they will be HO bright, but they wont last as long. If you are looking for an inexpensive T5 HO fixture check out the link. This guy is popular around Simply. I just bought the 24" version and will post my findings when it arrives. These lights can be assembled in pairs with a bracket from the factory. http://www.kensfish.com/sumblazet5holights.html

Pat

FSM
02-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I have no data to support this, just what i have observed when switching from current USA T5 fixtures to Coralife CF.

You can't compare two completely different bulb types and apply your observation to two bulbs of the same type.

diamond_discus
02-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I have a Nova Extreme SLR T-5 Fixtures for two years now ... Didn't need to replace any bulb .. very bright .. I have a tall tank and light go all the way to the bottom without any problem. very happy with it. I just ordered and received a second one. The new version even comes with mounting legs.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16770

Fraise
02-08-2010, 03:02 AM
You can't compare two completely different bulb types and apply your observation to two bulbs of the same type.

Why not? wasnt he asking to compare T5s to CFs?