PDA

View Full Version : General breeding rules

Bigfishes
01-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice in selecting breeding pairs. I have heard that certain pairings can produce unattractive offspring. One thing that I have heard is that it is not a good idea to cross red bodied varieties with blue bodied varieties. Could someone elaborate on this? Are there any other examples of bad crossing strategies, or specific crosses that produce unattractive offspring? Thanks.

Greg

kaceyo
01-27-2010, 06:49 PM
You'd be better off just getting fish of the same strain than asking which fish don't go together. That would be a long list. If you really want to breed, do it right.

Kacey

mmorris
01-27-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree with Kacey. If you are looking to buy a breeding pair, contact Eric (Carolina Discus). I purchased a pair from him, as have others I know, and so I can recommend him. See what he has.

Bigfishes
01-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Kacey and Martha, Thanks for the advice. Breeding fish of the same strain is fine, but I'm more interested in making crosses. Something that will produce more variety among the offspring, and perhaps some unique individuals. I'm not concerned with knowing all the possible combinations that produce undesirable offspring, but every one that I'm aware of is one I can avoid. For example, the varieties I currently have are: Red Dragon, Marlboro Red, Penang Eruption, Ring Leopard, and, I think, a Blue Snakeskin. Are there any combinations you would recommend, or advise against among these fish? Thanks.

rickztahone
01-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Kacey and Martha, Thanks for the advice. Breeding fish of the same strain is fine, but I'm more interested in making crosses. Something that will produce more variety among the offspring, and perhaps some unique individuals. I'm not concerned with knowing all the possible combinations that produce undesirable offspring, but every one that I'm aware of is one I can avoid. For example, the varieties I currently have are: Red Dragon, Marlboro Red, Penang Eruption, Ring Leopard, and, I think, a Blue Snakeskin. Are there any combinations you would recommend, or advise against among these fish? Thanks.

avoid crossing any pigeon blood based discus with any non pigeon based discus

Eddie
01-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Red Dragon X Marlboro (Both Pigeon Based)

Penang Eruption X Ring Leopard

The blue is on his own. :o Maybe the Eruption X Blue SS but as others mentioned to me, you would want to have a goal in mind with them 2.

Eddie

Bigfishes
01-28-2010, 01:18 AM
Ricardo and Eddie, thanks for the helpful tips. Where do you guys learn this stuff? Is it through trial and error? Advice from other breeders? Is there a guide somewhere with basic crossbreeding dos and don'ts? Also do you know of a good discus identification book to help differentiate between the numerous varieties available? Thanks again. I really appreciate the help!

Eddie
01-28-2010, 04:21 AM
Ricardo and Eddie, thanks for the helpful tips. Where do you guys learn this stuff? Is it through trial and error? Advice from other breeders? Is there a guide somewhere with basic crossbreeding dos and don'ts? Also do you know of a good discus identification book to help differentiate between the numerous varieties available? Thanks again. I really appreciate the help!

Really good info in this thread.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=32812

Also, Andrew Soh's books are really good at getting deep into genetics.

And last but not least, just search through the breeding section, lots of the same questions will come up. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

kaceyo
01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Both Recardo and Eddie have put in alot of time doing research on discus in general and nothing can replace that. I would still strongly suggest that you do the same before considering deliberatly crossing strains. Learn what crosses came before to develope the strains we have today so you have some idea about what you're trying to accomplish and how to go about it.
JMO,

Kacey

Bigfishes
01-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Kacey, I totally appreciate the work that Ricardo and Eddie have put into researching discus, and I will once again thank them for the info that they have shared with me. I am in the process of doing my own research, but there is so much to know, and occasionally it helps to have someone more knowledgeable point you in the right direction. I totally agree with you that it is better to know how different strains behave (dominance, recessiveness, etc...) before making crosses. Just trying to fing my way. Thanks again to all.

Greg