PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus and forum. Saying Hello

spyder329
01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Just wanted to say that I am ecstatic that I found this site. I registered yesterday and have been waiting for my authorization email to come.. During that time I think I have read about 100 posts (yes I was bored at work today) and I think I have come up with more questions than I got answers. Which is not a bad thing.

Here is a little bit about the tank that I have and what I plan on doing with the tank. I currently have a 55 gallon tank with a Cascade 700 filter system.The tank stays at a constant 83 degrees. In the tank I have 3 Angel fish 3 Tri-Color Sharks a pleco and now the latest addition my pride and joy a Blue Diamond Discus. I am looking to put 2 more discus in the tank in the near future. Do you think that the tank would be too crowded or will I be okay? I only feed them once a day (3 cubes, 2 blood worms and 1 brine shrimp or 2 brine shrimp and one bloodworm) as I am at work or away from the house for 15 hours a day.

The water here where I live is not the greatest but I bought a tap water filter and everything seems to be going great. I am doing 50% water changes 2 times a week but from what I read on here I am not sure thats enough. Should I be doing more than that? I am not looking to show my tank or my fish as I just like to sit and watch them as they are mesmerizing and have minds of there own.

I am just looking to get as much information as I can.

Thanks

Spardas
01-28-2010, 01:15 AM
Hello there and welcome!

My advice would be:
1) Trade in the angels and tri-color sharks at pet store or sell it and get 5 more discus fishes.

Or

2) Plan for a bigger tank (90 gallons) in the future so that you can get 5 more discus fishes along with your current stock. Also, trade in the sharks because they get really big and can intimidate your discus once they're bigger.

As far as feeding goes, feed once before you go to work, set up auto feeder throughout the day, then feed again when you get home and do a big W/C right after.

Scribbles
01-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Welcome to Simply Discus!

Discus are schooling fish and do best when kept in groups of 6 or more. With your current tank mates I would start another tank if possible and get more discus. How big is your discus? Depending on size/age it will need to eat 2 or more times a day.

Chris

smallfin
01-28-2010, 05:08 AM
Welcome to SD
I'm sure you will find everyone one here very willing to help share their experiences.
There is a some sticky threads under the Beginners section and one that Carol has put together with a heap of links categorized for easy research too.

I am still reading new things every day here and trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible.

Enjoy the Forum and enjoy the passion.

Smallfin

Elite Aquaria
01-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Welcome to Simply...I agree a school of six discus would do fantastic in your sized tank...

spyder329
01-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome I truly value all your responses.

Spardas - Trading in the Angles is not an option, I think my wife would have my head if I did that but, the sharks on the other hand I think I might be able to do. I also have a 45gal hex tank that is not setup at this time... I think it might be time to set that up and put the Angels and Tri-colors in that tank and make my 55gal a complete Discus tank.

Scribbles - The discus is only at 2.5-3 inches now probably the smallest in the tank. I get up at 4 in the morning do you think its okay to feed them that early? Then I would be feeding them at like 4:30am and 7:30pm.

Jason K.
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Spardas - Trading in the Angles is not an option, I think my wife would have my head if I did that but, the sharks on the other hand I think I might be able to do. I also have a 45gal hex tank that is not setup at this time... I think it might be time to set that up and put the Angels and Tri-colors in that tank and make my 55gal a complete Discus tank.

Scribbles - The discus is only at 2.5-3 inches now probably the smallest in the tank. I get up at 4 in the morning do you think its okay to feed them that early? Then I would be feeding them at like 4:30am and 7:30pm.

welcome to simply, sounds like a good move putting the angles and tri colors to the 45gal but remember angles can be territorial and the hex design does not leave much horizontal space.
as far as the blue diamond goes, at that size he is still a juvinile and should be fed more then twice a day imo,what and how much are you feeding at each meal? remember a varied diet is important in a young fish growth and well being.

Spardas
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Ok, start up the 45 gal and put the angels in there and trade in those sharks because they'll get rather large. Maybe you can add in a school or cardinal or rummies with some cory cats for that tank. It'll look nice.

Back to the 55, loose the gravel if you have any and throw in a few pot of plants or pieces of driftwood if you want some decorations. As for feeding, it really doesn't matter the time imo, they're always hungry, lol. I suggest you get an auto feeder for the day though. If you're wife is home, maybe you can have her throw in some flake or pellet food or some FBW while you're at work. Young discus need more constant feeding for them to grow and daily w/c is best.

spyder329
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
welcome to simply, sounds like a good move putting the angles and tri colors to the 45gal but remember angles can be territorial and the hex design does not leave much horizontal space.
as far as the blue diamond goes, at that size he is still a juvinile and should be fed more then twice a day imo,what and how much are you feeding at each meal? remember a varied diet is important in a young fish growth and well being.

I am feeding them 3 cubes (2 bloodworms and 1 brine shrimp with spirulina) or 2 brine shrimp and 1 blood worms) but alway 3 cubes. I will buy a feeder to feed them throughout the day.

I will have to bring the 45gal tank up from the basement this weekend and get that setup.

Spardas
01-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I am feeding them 3 cubes (2 bloodworms and 1 brine shrimp with spirulina) or 2 brine shrimp and 1 blood worms) but alway 3 cubes. I will buy a feeder to feed them throughout the day.

I will have to bring the 45gal tank up from the basement this weekend and get that setup.

I'd say you do some research on seafood mix/BH mixes as well and get some high quality flakes/pellets. I rarely use FBW now unless the fish is a picky one that needs something to entice it to eat.

velocilraptor
01-29-2010, 03:30 PM
welcome. im new to this forum too and it is a wealth of information.