PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater to freshwater

fishy daz
01-28-2010, 06:33 AM
I'm considering changing my tank from a saltwater system to a freshwater one and would like to know if it's possible to use an external canister filter with an overflow? Or if anyone can give me any advice on changing over?

Eddie
01-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Older thread on the subject.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=63269&highlight=saltwater+freshwater

Glad to meet you and welcome to Simply! Best discus place on the planet!

Take care,

Eddie

fishy daz
01-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Need to explain a bit more, I have an overflow weir in the corner of my tank and would like to know if it's possible to connect an external canister filter to the pipe in the overflow weir, as I would like to get rid of the sump completely.

Darrell Ward
01-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't see why you could not. Just hook the canister intake to the overflow's drain pipe. Make sure that the intake for the drain is always under water before starting the canister, or you may lose prime when you do water changes. However, sump filtration beats a canister any day in my book.

DiscusFandS
01-30-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't see why you could not. Just hook the canister intake to the overflow's drain pipe. Make sure that the intake for the drain is always under water before starting the canister, or you may lose prime when you do water changes. However, sump filtration beats a canister any day in my book.

couldn't agree with you more:D:D

fishy daz
01-31-2010, 04:15 PM
I hope this pic makes sence.
I know i could just shut the weir off but i dont want water just sitting in it
going stagnent.Or i could drop the water below the over flow point but
would have to build a new hood to hide the water line.
Any other options would be considered.:)52581