PDA

View Full Version : what do you do when your Eheim suction cups stop working??

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
it bothers me you guys...the heaters, the canister filters...after a few months, the suction cups just lose all their "suction" capabilities. its super annoying, thats why all of my heaters are now on the tank floor, they wont stick to the wall anymore.

I just had a fist fight with my canister filter LOL...I got it working again...but the suction cups on the spraybar are just worn to sh*t and i cant stick it to anything...not sure what to do with it? just let it hang in the tank??

can u get replacement suction cups? do any of u guys have a way of fixing this, or what do u do to get around this problem??

thanks alot you guys! appreciate it! :)

snert
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Eheim have a huge list of spares, here's a link :)

http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=downloads_28896_ehen&list=afilter

mcishaque
01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
here is my general solution for all suction cup issues:

get a working suction cup, and some plumber's sodder wire (not electrical sodder - but plumbing type so u know it is safe under water; home depot, lowes). Pierce sodder wire throug suction cup nipple. bend sodder wire around heater, tubing, the mistress's ankle, whatever :D

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-28-2010, 04:03 PM
its not that the heaters or filter tubes wont stay connected to the suction cups, its that the suction cups kind of inverted themselves and dont "stick" to the glass anymore. good idea you have tho.

take care.

Dutch dude
01-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Just buy new Eheim suction cups. You can buy packages with 2 or 4 cups without the holders. By the way,....it isn't wise to use solder wire. It also contains plumbum and chemicals for cleaning the surface you want to solder.

mcishaque
01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Just buy new Eheim suction cups. You can buy packages with 2 or 4 cups without the holders. By the way,....it isn't wise to use solder wire. It also contains plumbum and chemicals for cleaning the surface you want to solder.

It's FDA aproved to go into human plumbing and drinking water pipes and stay there for a lifetime, and it's not wise to use in a fish tank ???

You probably know more about it than I do. I was simply applying logic to my choice of material to use.

Other tie-down material that I've used w/ out issue is dental floss (works great to tie moss to driftwood, etc).

Since the eheim suction cups can be purchased, I agree that's the best option.

Here's where I get my 50-count box of scution cups (has guide hole already built into suction cup nipple):

http://suctioncups.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=83
and/or
http://suctioncups.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=81

109 West Park Road
Portersville, PA 16051
800.237.8287 800.BEST.CUP

Eddie
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Do as Ruurd suggested Jason, buy some new ones, they sell replacements.

Eddie

April
01-29-2010, 12:05 AM
just lay it on the bottom of the tank and forget the suction cups.

Eddie
01-29-2010, 12:19 AM
just lay it on the bottom of the tank and forget the suction cups.

Thats what I do with the heaters. ;)

Eddie

April
01-29-2010, 02:51 AM
most hardcore or breeders do..leave them strewn on the bottom. no time for fiddly little things. ; 0

Scribbles
01-29-2010, 02:59 AM
Just buy new suction cups.

Chris

Dutch dude
01-29-2010, 12:41 PM
It's FDA approved to go into human plumbing and drinking water pipes and stay there for a lifetime, and it's not wise to use in a fish tank ???

It indeed isn't wise to use it in a fish tank, becouse of the flux chemicals and plumbum. The flux chemicals clean the erosion from the pipes. So you remove the erosion with a chemical proses. This makes a much better conection between the pipes. As solder for (tap)water pipes it is situated inbetween the pipe and socket. The surface that is in contact with the water is very small and only at the the edge of the pipe and the socket (not on the inside of the pipes). After heating it to +350C the flux almost completely burns.

The reason the suction cups stop working properly is becouse the plastic starts to harden and loses its flexibility. Nothing you can do abouth it and just aging of the material.

Wahter
01-29-2010, 09:29 PM
what do you do when your Eheim suction cups stop working??

I usually get irked and then I remember that I keep some extras on hand just for this situation. :D

Walter

Darrell Ward
01-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, if you use them, it's wise to have extras on hand, because exposure to water degrades them over time. They do make fancy magnet holders now that work great, but they are pricey.

exv152
01-29-2010, 10:23 PM
I have a local fish store nearbye (chain with the big shark) and I noticed they sell all kinds of eheim parts, including suction cups. But I wouldn't buy the imitations, buy eheim cups. Can't remember the price.

fishorama
01-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I seem to be suction cup challenged with all brands :o Cleaning them helps for a brief time.