PDA

View Full Version : Planning my new fish room

acroken
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
i will be moving in the next couple months and the fish room planning has begun. I will be building a detached fish room somewhere around 14+/- x 18+/- to house as many tanks as i can fit:). I will be heating the room and not running any filtration systems. All filtration will be sponges and AC110 where needed and rely on heavy water changes daily. This will be my 3rd fish room i have built and one major difference is playing in on this one. Since my recent accident standing for long periods of time and carrying pretty much any weight is a problem. So, as in some tanks i have running now and in the past i have set them up with ball valves for w/c, open the valve and drain 80% and refill, simple. What i have been looking for is a high volume float valve to be gravity feed to refill. This float will be mounted on the back of each tank and refill each tank after w/c. The problem i am running into is the flow of these valves are way to slow. I would like to find something which could refill say 60 gals in 30 minutes. Any solenoid or electrical valve is out of the question due to price $50 x 40+/- tanks and reliability. I would consider and looped refill powered by a large pump that would run a open loop to each tank and the water storage tanks. This would be set on a timer to say run 45 minutes. The problem with this i see is finding the right back pressure valve to only open as the floats in each tank close. I have called numerous suppliers with no real luck. I have been playing around with some toilet bowl valves but most newer ones need a pressure feed and large floats. I know a lot of Asian breeders use these type floats but i can not find them state side. I would appreciate any insight on this concept. I am open for all suggestions but keep in mind, i am looking for simple large volume water change system.

Thanks Kenny

ashaysathe
01-29-2010, 10:28 AM
This float will be mounted on the back of each tank and refill each tank after w/c. The problem i am running into is the flow of these valves are way to slow. I would like to find something which could refill say 60 gals in 30 minutes. Any solenoid or electrical valve is out of the question due to price $50 x 40+/- tanks and reliability. I would consider and looped refill powered by a large pump that would run a open loop to each tank and the water storage tanks. This would be set on a timer to say run 45 minutes.
Thanks Kenny

Would a drip system be of consideration here. Replacing 60 gals in 24 hrs means less than 3 gals an hr. On a micro level, this seems manageable with 3 gal per hr turnaround.

There are number or wide range of drip emitters availbale. Jehmco has. This site below has a vey nice design to calibrate your needs

http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php

Check here - you can get some idea of the design. You may not want all of it - key here being a continuous drip setup

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68324

Thinking a little, there are pros and cons in each type, but given health as a prime driver for the design - this will eliminate any and all labor from you life - infact you can move a sofa in your "to be built" fish room and have pop corn while water is being replaced..

Health is Wealth brother.. Take care.

acroken
01-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Would a drip system be of consideration here. Replacing 60 gals in 24 hrs means less than 3 gals an hr. On a micro level, this seems manageable with 3 gal per hr turnaround.

There are number or wide range of drip emitters availbale. Jehmco has. This site below has a vey nice design to calibrate your needs

http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php

Check here - you can get some idea of the design. You may not want all of it - key here being a continuous drip setup

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68324

Thinking a little, there are pros and cons in each type, but given health as a prime driver for the design - this will eliminate any and all labor from you life - infact you can move a sofa in your "to be built" fish room and have pop corn while water is being replaced..

Health is Wealth brother.. Take care.

Thanks Ashay, i did miss that tread on continuous drip systems. I have tried them and never totally happy with the water quality. I like to pull water off the bottom of the tank during w/c. I do appreciate your reply and it has given me some helpful information Thank again. By the way, how are your fire reds fry doing???
Kenny

Chad Hughes
01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Kenny,

Sounds like a fun project! High volume float valves are expensive. They usually run $25- $30. That adds up over a few tanks. If I just needed a way to fill tanks after draining them I'd just use 1" ball valves from home depot. Put all the tanks on a pumped feed from your water storage tank and open the valve(s) to fill, close when full. If you are concerned about overfilling, just put a bulkhead in each tank and attach them to your drain lines. You may waste a little water if you're not paying attention, but at least you won't have a mess!

Good luck with the project!

jeff@zina.com
01-29-2010, 03:00 PM
All the higher volume float valves I know of (1" or larger diameter) are expensive, about the same as solenoid valves. If you could dump like five tanks and refill all five at once off a single float valve it might be cheap enough. Although in that case I'd probably use a remote pump switch and pump the water into all the tanks at once.

Jeff

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-02-2010, 01:40 AM
A quality high volume float valve is gonna be in the range of $50 each. Unfortunetly they are also large...too large for your needs I think. Whynot just have a manual fill valve over each tank? Have the main water fill line powered by a 1/2hp shallow well pump with an accompanying 80 gal expansion/bladder tank (pressure switch too)? That way everything is automatic....all you have to do is open and close a single valve over each tank. Pump kicks on once pressure in the line drops a few psi and continues to provide uniterrupted water flow so long as the water is flowing out of the valve. Once the valve is shut off, the expansion tank refills and the pressure switch automatically kicks pump off. Let me know and I can get pictures/video for you of how this looks in a real aquaculture setting. Kind of a set it and forget it type of thing. They have been using a similar system on the UF farm for 10+ years now. Only thing you'll have to plan for would be water pretreatment/storage.

Let me know more details of number of tanks, size of tanks, general layout, etc and I can size a blower for you and give tips for best performance when plumbing it all together.

-Ryan

acroken
02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Ryan,
Sound real good. I presently use a ball valve to drain each tank and one to refill. It is a bit manual for me as it is like a joggling match when i am doing multiple tanks. I understand the cost would be high to do refills with an automatic shut off. Maybe i could set up one bank of tanks and experiment with. I do like the pressure switch with the expansion tank. I am using a linear piston air pump from Jehmco #LPH60. I have used a Gast blower before but when the bearing went i switched to a linear pump. I am planning on 2 10 10 gal, 10 20 gal,10 25 gal,8 55's, 8 75's, 4 100's plus what ever else will fit. My storage water will be two 300 tanks and two 55's.Are your blowers quiet? what is the pros of a blower vs linear. I know they put out huge psi. My e-mail address is khill@acrodisplay.com if you could send me some information on your blowers and w/c systems.

Thanks Kenny

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Check your email.

-Ryan

Ed13
02-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I have my setup almost identical to what Ryan describes, Kenny. Although in my case it's a 19 gal pressure tank not 80gal:D. Real fast I like it;)

Now I do have in my storage tanks a really nice float valve. It's horizontal/vertical and adjustable it even came with a bulkhead, gasket and fittings from 3/4" and 1/2" for roughly $16 at my local Home Depot:D. I doubt something like this would work for you though. Most high flow float valves I've seen either have the stem too long 12"+ and/or the bouy is too big. But if you don't mind that then they might work for you.

You have a PM

acroken
02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Check your email.

-Ryan Ryan, thank you very much for the information you sent me. I always wanted to know how large facilities managed and balanced the air pressure/psi and volume in there air systems. I know now, smart people like you figure it all out:D I can not thank you enough. I will be surly be turning to you as things progress. I really like the idea of the pressure tank and shut off switch. For now i am planning to have a drain and refill for each tank on ball valves. I will play around with auto shut offs for individual tanks and see if i can work out the float valve issues. I will most likely just add another LPH60 or LPH80 for my air system.

I have my setup almost identical to what Ryan describes, Kenny. Although in my case it's a 19 gal pressure tank not 80gal:D. Real fast I like it;)

Now I do have in my storage tanks a really nice float valve. It's horizontal/vertical and adjustable it even came with a bulkhead, gasket and fittings from 3/4" and 1/2" for roughly $16 at my local Home Depot:D. I doubt something like this would work for you though. Most high flow float valves I've seen either have the stem too long 12"+ and/or the bouy is too big. But if you don't mind that then they might work for you.

You have a PM Ed, i really like the float valve link you sent me. I just purchased (Valve,Float,1/2 In
Item # 2X524) and float ball to work with. I will have to play around with the ball diameter as it will not allow me to cover my tanks or i will have to lower the water level. I will still need to use a pressurized fill system with these. I am still thinking a closed loop water system with a blast gate. this would allow enough presser to open the floats and once the floats are closed open the blast gate back to the storage tank. I may be able to use an expansion tank with a auto shut off switch as outlined earlier. My goal is to have a fish room where i open the valves and tanks drain close the valve and walk away and allow the tank to refill automatically. This would be so simple, i would easily be able change 80% in each tank daily in 5 to 10 minutes:D Thanks again Ed.

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-03-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/813/Float-Valve/float%20valve/0

Consider one of these float valves. They are around 4" diameter and flow fast enough for your needs (given proper pressure).

-Ryan

acroken
02-03-2010, 11:12 AM
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/813/Float-Valve/float%20valve/0

Consider one of these float valves. They are around 4" diameter and flow fast enough for your needs (given proper pressure).

-Ryan That is perfect Ryan! A bit expensive but you get what you pay for. I my mind it is well worth it as i can save lots of time waiting for tanks to fill.Any thoughts on how to shut off the water pump when all tanks are refilled? Thank you

Kenny

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Using that float valve I would still recommend the shallow well pump/expansion tank/pressure switch...that way it'll flow 4gpm and the pump will shut off automatically. All you have to do is shut the main water line off going to all the tanks, siphon which ever tanks you need, open main water line back up (one valve to turn for entire system) and the system will take care of itself (fill and automatically shut off pump). That setup isnt cheap, but it is well worth the money IMO.

You might be able to find the same float valve online elsewhere cheaper....like here: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23234&catid=569 They even have different sizes available. For your application, go for the one on the bottom. You get discounts when ordering in volume.

-Ryan

acroken
02-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Now that is an idea system, it will be well worth the cost. I would save so much time. If it is quick and easy you will do it without hesitation plus keep the peace with the my girl. If i put a $ amount on my time this system would pay for itself in a month or two. Thank you Ryan.

Look for a PM in a few

Kenny

tcyiu
02-16-2010, 02:45 AM
I bought something like this : http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&mscssid=Q32PTL3J39JM8JBBUDST52J2GKPC8CDF&pf_id=16041 at a local feed store.

I bought the plastic version. Hard to beat at $10 a pop (cheaper online I guess).

I have yet to install it (I'm looking to replace the two zinc plated bolts with SS versions), but the mechanics are incredibly simple. The flow rate of the one I got seemed decent enough.

Tim

tcyiu
02-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Kenny just alerted me that the link I posted didn't work. Here are two more from two other companies.

http://www.farmhardware.com/SuperStore/SuperStore-Product.asp?ProductID=5145

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=9bfd27e9-9306-4570-af1d-2a7ba1285f9a

Hopefully these work. Not endorsing these links ... just showing you a potentially cheaper high flow float valve.

Tim

acroken
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Good new guys. i found out yesterday that they accepted my offer on the house. Now the fun begins. How do you move all these fre*kin tanks:D The new fish room is going in the basement. I will be heating it with natural gas and wood burning stove. All tanks will have heaters to balance but if i do it right should not be needed. The best part of this basement is 9' ceilings so tanks will be 3 high. I am planning on a April 30th settlement.

Kenny

Eddie
03-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Good new guys. i found out yesterday that they accepted my offer on the house. Now the fun begins. How do you move all these fre*kin tanks:D The new fish room is going in the basement. I will be heating it with natural gas and wood burning stove. All tanks will have heaters to balance but if i do it right should not be needed. The best part of this basement is 9' ceilings so tanks will be 3 high. I am planning on a April 30th settlement.

Kenny

Thats great news Kenny! Lots of big plans. Can't wait to see the room when its all done. 3 tiers is gonna be high!

Take care and all the best with everything!

Eddie

acroken
03-16-2010, 10:48 AM
thanks Eddie, i will mock up the 3 tiers and see how it functions. i do not like the tanks too low, just freaks the fish out. If it does not look like 3 high is possible i will just need to spread them out a bit more. Advantage to spreading them out is breeders can go on top and not have to worry about water temp getting to high. fun times all but the move.

Kenny

Chad Hughes
03-16-2010, 10:58 AM
CONGRATS KENNY!!! :balloon::balloon:

That is great news! I am really happy for you and am looking forward to seeing your progress on the new fish room!

You are right about the higher tanks having higer temps. One thing that I have done in my small room is placed fans around the room to circulate air. It really "evens out" the temperature between the upper and lower tanks. Since you are not going wiith a central system, air circulation with whole room heat is probably a good idea. I just use some $20 stationary fans from Home Depot. They work great and keep you from sweating your butt off in the fish room. LOL!

Best wishes my friend!

Jhhnn
03-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Kenny just alerted me that the link I posted didn't work. Here are two more from two other companies.

http://www.farmhardware.com/SuperStore/SuperStore-Product.asp?ProductID=5145

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=9bfd27e9-9306-4570-af1d-2a7ba1285f9a

Hopefully these work. Not endorsing these links ... just showing you a potentially cheaper high flow float valve.

Tim

The link works for me, kinda... click "continue shopping", then search for "float valve"...

Seems like a great fish room in the making...

dbfzurowski
03-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Good for you man, I cant wait for my move this summer :) i'm negotiating a fish room with my better half... we'll see