PDA

View Full Version : Starting new 75 gallon discus tank, need some advice?

BrockJT
01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi guys, this is my first post here on simply discus and I was just wondering what would be some good options for setting up a new 75 gallon tank, dedicated to discus only? I was planning on painting the back with either krylon ballet slipper or krylon watermelon. Also I am uncertain if I should use any sand as substrate? I do really like the look of it. Would sand still allow discus to reach their maximum growing potential? I plan on performing 50% water changes everyday or every other day. Oh and last question I promise haha, what would be some good color schemes for the paint, sand and the color of the fish? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Brock

Finatic
01-30-2010, 05:56 PM
You can certainly get away with sand, BUT, many will agree that BB is the vest way to raise young discus if you want to grow them out to their maximum with good clean water. Case in point, I bought 10 2-3" and was growing them in my 125 with sand. Well, I didnt see much growth, and I was doing WC's every day, so I decided I wanted a BB tank and bought a 100 gallon about 5 weeks ago. I am doing daily WC's with this, and am able to see every particle of debris when cleaning. Maybe it is my imagination, but my discus are really growing like crazy.

With as mcuh as we need to feed, whatever you can do to make cleaning easier is best.

As for colors, lighter is best with discus. You get better contrast of colors against dark, but the fish dont brighten up as much. I have 1" blue styrofoam on three sides and the bottom. The tank is nice and light, well insulated, and I noticed that with the back and 2 ends covered, my discus are rarely spooked (except last week when I scared one that he slammed into the side of the tank and knocked himself silly...lol...NOT:) )

Good luck, but save the sand for older discus who dont eat as much, unless you are starting with older discus, then go for it!

fishorama
01-30-2010, 06:10 PM
I had a very thin layer of sand when I first got my juvies, I removed it within a week or 2. BB is much easier although I have to wipe the bottom but since I have to wipe off the sides it's not much more work.

Since I have mine in a 55g to grow out I just have cardboard bottom & back but I like the sandy color. I do like the pink colors much more than I thought I might, Simply has changed my mind on several things LOL. I think it may depend on the strains you intend to keep as to what color looks best.

mmorris
01-30-2010, 11:13 PM
what would be some good color schemes for the paint, sand and the color of the fish?

What color fish do you want to get? I love black back, but some colors look dark. BB for growing out juvies!

mmorris
01-30-2010, 11:18 PM
This is probably a better shot:

Elite Aquaria
01-30-2010, 11:38 PM
First of all Welcome to Simply. I personally would not put any sand in your tank if it is going to be a grow out tank.

Eddie
01-31-2010, 02:48 AM
First of all Welcome to Simply. I personally would not put any sand in your tank if it is going to be a grow out tank.

Ditto! Welcome to Simply!

Here are some shots of my pink breeder, back, both sides and bottom.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/pair/Leopard%20PE/31%20Jan/IMG_6920.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/pair/Leopard%20PE/31%20Jan/IMG_6917.jpg

Scribbles
01-31-2010, 03:19 AM
Welcome to Simply Discus! As others have said, BB is easier to keep clean for growing out juvies, in general lighter tank colors will encourage better colors in your fish, and go with whatever colors/strains that you like.

Chris

mmorris
01-31-2010, 10:24 AM
lighter tank colors will encourage better colors in your fish,

I think it depends on the strain. :)

Jhhnn
01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Welcome, for sure.

Near as I can tell, you've discovered the single greatest resource for discus keepers on the planet- this forum. I believed that when I found Simply nearly a year ago, when I'd decided to return to the hobby after many years' hiatus. I believe it more strongly today.

Discus require more time, money, effort and ingenuity than the vast majority of aquarium fish. I knew that going in, from keeping them years ago. I don't think that can be emphasized too strongly.

For me, and for most successful keepers, it's all about the fish rather than other aesthetic considerations. I set aside all notions of aquascapes to better serve the fishes' welfare with BB tanks, a combination of sponge and power filters, simple fluorescent strip lights, and quality eheim jager heaters on temperature controllers. The fish don't seem to care about the background color, but they do seem to feel more secure with a background and also when the tank has something on the bottom. Many people seem to like a light blue background, and I never realized Eddie was into pink...;)

It's also very important to understand your water, scientifically, with testing equipment, and to develop a water changing *system* before discus ever arrived. The need for and benefit of that cannot be over-emphasized, either. There are lots of possibilities there, and whatever it takes and whatever fits into your situation will save a lot of time and potential grief in the long run. It's one aspect of it all where investment can really pay off. Find someplace else to scrimp, if you feel the need.

As for the fish themselves, I followed the general consensus that 3-1/2" to 4" fish are a lot easier to finish rearing, and have never regretted that decision. The 1 fish/ 10 gals guideline just works, as does the advice that discus do best in groups of 5 or more.

I'm kinda old school in that I prefer a school of fish all of the same variety, same size, even from the same clutch of eggs, so that's what I've done. I think there are other benefits to that in terms of aggression and growth rates, also in being able to recognize that an individual fish might be having problems.

Buying fish from one of our sponsors is an absolute no-brainer. Mine came from Kenny Cheung. They were expertly packed, healthy, vital and vibrant when they arrived, acclimated easily. No dings, no runts, stunts, footballs or seconds of any sort. I suspect that our other sponsors would provide a similar level of service and satisfaction. Nobody's perfect, but it seems to me that Al and our long-time sponsors set a high standard, and that less reliable vendors either never bother or are quickly weeded out...

Luck is always a factor, and mine's been good so far. Hope yours is equally as good or better.

John

BrockJT
01-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Thank you all for the really quick and informative replies. I plan on stocking the tank with either blue diamond, cobalt blue, red or blue turquoise, penang eruption or leopard, any sort of bluish reddish type discus. I want them to really pop out with the background, that's why I was thinking of the ballet slipper color for the background. I saw another member paint his tank that color and it looked really great with his blue diamond or cobalt blue discus, however I am totally open to any suggestions you guys may have. Also I will take your advice and go with a bare bottom tank and will be running an AquaClear 110 filter.

Thank You,
Brock

David Rose
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Welcome to Simply Brock!

Just avoid pigeon blood discus if you plan on having a dark background as they will develop a dusting of black spots (peppering) as a result. I think the exception would be albino pigeon blood strains.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/DD/20091007039.jpg

rickztahone
01-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Welcome to Simply Brock!

Just avoid pigeon blood discus if you plan on having a dark background as they will develop a dusting of black spots (peppering) as a result. I think the exception would be albino pigeon blood strains.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/DD/20091007039.jpg

those aren't albino's PB's David and they do not show any peppering.

David Rose
01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
those aren't albino's PB's David and they do not show any peppering.

LOL...nope...just good old example of pigeon bloods when I first got them. I guess I should have explained that a bit more. I'm in the planning stage of changing my background to a light color.

Thanks for catching me on that one Rick! ;)