PDA

View Full Version : Ozone System wanted

David Rose
01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
If you have or come across a great deal on an ozone system, I'm in the market. PM me please!

Thanks!
David

Discus-Hans
02-01-2010, 12:02 AM
If you have or come across a great deal on an ozone system, I'm in the market. PM me please!

Thanks!
David

David, be careful with those, I've no idea what's on the market these days, but a friend of mine back in the days (years lol) in Holland worked with that stuff in his store, he told me it's nasty and if not done well DANGEROUS,

Hans

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-01-2010, 12:35 AM
David, be careful with those, I've no idea what's on the market these days, but a friend of mine back in the days (years lol) in Holland worked with that stuff in his store, he told me it's nasty and if not done well DANGEROUS,

Hans

Agree....just be sure to have it hooked up to an ORP controller (dont cheap out on the controller!!) and you will minimize problems.

-Ryan

Discus-Hans
02-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Agree....just be sure to have it hooked up to an ORP controller (dont cheap out on the controller!!) and you will minimize problems.

-Ryan

Now you got me Ryan, what's an ORP controller??

Hans

Spardas
02-01-2010, 01:20 AM
The ORP controller is used to control the injection of ozone into the aquarium, I use the combo pH/ORP controllers. I use it for the reef tank, works great. ^^. :D

David, I don't know if you want something new or not but the aquazone deluxe from red sea is on sale at drsfostersmith atm.

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Now you got me Ryan, what's an ORP controller??

Hans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduction_potential

ORP= Oxidation Reduction Potential. More or less it is a way to measure the level of ozone in a given body of water measured in millivolts. Using a controller you are able to control the level of ozone in the water and there by minimizing chances of something going wrong. I have not personally used ozone, but I know enough about it that it can be leathal to humans if not properly handled. Here is another link regarding ozone: http://www.aquaticeco.com/pages/full_width/92/Ozone-Notes

When used properly it can do wonders. Using a controller allows for proper use.

-Ryan

Eddie
02-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Hey there David, not sure how accurate it is but the great Jim Quarles advised against using Ozone with discus, with regard to slime coat and raising fry. Haven't seen anybody raising fry on the parents back, using ozone. Sure, successful spawns, but attachment.....haven't heard anything. Might be a myth but just to throw that out there. ;)

Eddie

David Rose
02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and links. I've been reading up on ozone for months now after reading Chad's "How I manage water quality..." thread.

I don't have a centralized filtration system, so this would be for my main 140G community tank and not my grow out or breeder tanks etc.

Spardas
02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Hmmmm, I thought you would be hooking it up to a larger aquarium. Do you really want to go through all the trouble of setting it up?

You'll have to set up a dehumidifier (air dryer from red sea works), pass it through carbon and unless you want to hook up a protein skimmer for a freshwater tank, you'll have to create a reactor vessel for it.

A UV sterilizer can be a replacement for the ozone setup for this smaller tank if you just wanted to eradicate pathogens and bacteria.

akumastew
02-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and links. I've been reading up on ozone for months now after reading Chad's "How I manage water quality..." thread.

I don't have a centralized filtration system, so this would be for my main 140G community tank and not my grow out or breeder tanks etc.

I have also been planning on trying the Chad Hughes Method for my 125 gallon...

I may to hear your results, before I make the plunge.

- Stew

David Rose
02-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Update:

Well my ozone generator and controller are on their way and I already have the protein skimmer. I just need to get the carbon reactor for the return.

Chad's thread has been very helpful as well as his support via PM over the last few months...THANKS CHAD!

I'm looking forward to getting my system up and running and will start a separate thread in brief on the process.

Arkangel77
02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
I look forward to seing how it goes for you. The reactor that chad recomends works great and is in-expensive. SO far I am pleased with my set up. Just be ready to deal with a few hickups along the way.

Arkangel77

David Rose
02-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I look forward to seing how it goes for you. The reactor that chad recomends works great and is in-expensive. SO far I am pleased with my set up. Just be ready to deal with a few hickups along the way.

Arkangel77

LOL...I haven't gotten that far to ask Chad what brand/model he uses. I think you made yours, which is more talent than I can muster...LOL

Arkangel77
02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
LOL...I haven't gotten that far to ask Chad what brand/model he uses. I think you made yours, which is more talent than I can muster...LOL

I did make mine but it had flow issues - the carbon packed and the water would not flow threw it. In the end I used the same one chad did :D

We are all here to help so if I can be of assistance - dont hesitate

Ark:angel:

David Rose
02-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks Ark...I really appreciate it!

gwrace
04-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Instead of injecting this into the tank has anyone found a unit that works good in a water storage container for purification?

David Rose
04-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Instead of injecting this into the tank has anyone found a unit that works good in a water storage container for purification?

Hi "gwrace",

There are a variety of simpler models available on eBay for water purification for your application rather than directly for aquarium use; however, this would not assist with the break down of organics, pathogens, or parasites in the tank itself. My application goal is for these purposes and to reduce the frequency and amount of water changes for an tank integrated system.

I hope this helps!
David

AirCapital
04-16-2010, 05:23 PM
gwgrace I will sent you some pics and links and all the good stuff to help you get going with this idea. I use Ozone strickly for treating my water before it is added to my storage cont there is so many benifits to treating your new incoming water with ozone I dont even know where to start, if you plan on using it to keep the bacteria down in the container that can be done for sure. everything is based on how you plan to mix it with the water, you can use a ozone generator that has a pump built in and use a airstone but the pump is just one more thing to fail on the unit and a much larger ozone unit is needed this route or you can use a venture valve and a spa ozone generator that has no pump and uses the vacumm the venture makes to suck the ozone out of the spa unit myself I would go with a venture reason being they are much much much more effective than a stone and need a much smaller mgh ozone generator. are you wanting to keep bacteria a bay or do you plan on using it for removing chlorimines so you can stop adding those costly chems to bond it.? let me know how I can help.

David Rose
04-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Perhaps a new thread is in order here for your application and goals. :)

gwrace
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi "gwrace",

There are a variety of simpler models available on eBay for water purification for your application rather than directly for aquarium use; however, this would not assist with the break down of organics, pathogens, or parasites in the tank itself. My application goal is for these purposes and to reduce the frequency and amount of water changes for an tank integrated system.

I hope this helps!
David

Thanks David that helps. Sorry didn't mean to steal your thread. At this point in time I have two 75 gallon display tanks and one 29 gallon combination grow out and hospital tank. I'll start a new thread for this topic as I'd like to consider both in tank and water storage barrel options.

David Rose
04-19-2010, 04:25 PM
No worries....I saw your new thread and think you'll get better attention to help you with your specific goals.

Best of luck,
David

Thanks David that helps. Sorry didn't mean to steal your thread. At this point in time I have two 75 gallon display tanks and one 29 gallon combination grow out and hospital tank. I'll start a new thread for this topic as I'd like to consider both in tank and water storage barrel options.